Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Dish pointing for Directv?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   twiggly2

twiggly2

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Im probably gonna get reemed for this but, my parents Directv dish is pointed SE and I have noticed new ones pointed SW. How come the change?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,034 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Nothing has moved, your comment about new ones seems strange as both the original round dish and the current HD dishes point at 101 which from Billings ( I just picked a town in Montana) is 169.6 true, 158.4 magnetic or slightly SE The Phase 3 dish which was the last SD dish (2002 or so) points at 110 which is 182.1 true, 170.9 magnetic which is obviously more due south than SW. Are you sure you are not seeing Dish Network dishes? I am not sure of exact coordinates for the western arc satellites but it probably would be SW from Montana

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,228 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

Doesn't Dish networks have a sat over there?
Maybe they are on Dish instead of DirecTV.
Go to dishpointer.com and put in the address, the satellite you are needing and it will give you the coordinates of where it should be pointed.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Im probably gonna get reemed for this but, my parents Directv dish is pointed SE and I have noticed new ones pointed SW. How come the change?

If you and your parents are in Montana, almost all DIRECTV dishes should be pointing at 101w. So if you're in Montana that would mean the dishes should be pointing slightly to the SE. The only exceptions are the Phase III triple sat. dish primarily for Spanish SD customers centered on 110w which would be due south at your location and the international dish pointed at 95w which is SE at your locale.

Are you sure you are not mistaking Dish Network dishes which may be aimed at either their western or eastern arcs?

#5 OFFLINE   twiggly2

twiggly2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I am 100% sure that the two systems in question are DirecTV, but now the more people question it, I am not completely sure my parents is pointing SE. I may have possibly just imagined it..:(

#6 OFFLINE   twiggly2

twiggly2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Im really hoping I didnt just make myself look like a Jackass, being new to the forum and all. :)

#7 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,034 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Im really hoping I didnt just make myself look like a Jackass, being new to the forum and all. :)

Do not worry about that, there is no such thing as a stupid question. You wont find a better group of helpful people than you will here.

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   twiggly2

twiggly2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

Do not worry about that, there is no such thing as a stupid question. You wont find a better group of helpful people than you will here.

Thats excellent to hear! Im sure I will have more questions in the future. :)

spam firewall