Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV adds local sports surcharge for some new subscribers

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,179 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Go laugh all you want, but you are wrong. It's partly about price, and it's partly about the fact that Directv owns the competitor channel in the market.

Considering the average Root charge is substantially higher than the average CSN charge it's hard to fall back solely on the fact that CSN "charges too much." The rate differential between the two easily differentiates the fact that Root has 150+ baseball games and CSN has 70+ basketball games. CSN also covers PSU sports, Root covers some Timbers games, etc. By keeping CSN off its customers TVs Root is able to restrict them as a competitor in bidding for some sports. It's a competitive environment. Conversly, Comcast has customers that might be with Directv if Directv carried the channel.

It's not as simple as you think it is. Laugh and think it's hilarious if you want. Your method of self-medication is up to you. Regards.

Your the one trying to simplify something to a point of illogicality. Not having Comcast channel on DIRECTV will not keep them from bidding on any sports, or getting sports to agree with them. If it did, Huston would not have signed up for the new channel there knowing what Comcast has been doing and their inability to get dtv to pick up there sports channels any more. Any thought that it would is short sighted. Did you not read about the Time Warner Cable sports net channels that got the Lakers without any distribution agreements?

They are not core competitors. Period. And even if they where, that would not keep DIRECTV from picking up the station if the price was right.

The issue I am sure has to do with how much Comcast wants for out of main market customers, where they likely want the same pricing as customers in the core market, something that DIRECTV does not do for any channels. It was even mentioned this was part of the reason that DIRECTV took so long to get the Time Warner Cable channels. That can make these channels far more expensive than what many think at first glance. Its likely how Comcast is trying to keep a monopoly in the areas they can. The one that doesn't want these channels on DIRECTV is Comcast, unless they can get a very large fee for the channels. I know you know that distribution on a neighboring cable company is not at all the same as getting pricing the same on a sat company.

In relation to this thread, frankly, I have no issue with DIRECTV charging a little extra in ever market that has more than one RSN. In fact, I'm surprised they don't charge an extra 2 or 3 for each additional channel beyond the first. Los Angeles and NY both have more than two correct?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Your the one trying to simplify something to a point of illogicality. Not having Comcast channel on DIRECTV will not keep them from bidding on any sports, or getting sports to agree with them. If it did, Huston would not have signed up for the new channel there knowing what Comcast has been doing and their inability to get dtv to pick up there sports channels any more. Any thought that it would is short sighted. Did you not read about the Time Warner Cable sports net channels that got the Lakers without any distribution agreements?

They are not core competitors. Period. And even if they where, that would not keep DIRECTV from picking up the station if the price was right.

The issue I am sure has to do with how much Comcast wants for out of main market customers, where they likely want the same pricing as customers in the core market, something that DIRECTV does not do for any channels. It was even mentioned this was part of the reason that DIRECTV took so long to get the Time Warner Cable channels. That can make these channels far more expensive than what many think at first glance. Its likely how Comcast is trying to keep a monopoly in the areas they can. The one that doesn't want these channels on DIRECTV is Comcast, unless they can get a very large fee for the channels. I know you know that distribution on a neighboring cable company is not at all the same as getting pricing the same on a sat company.

In relation to this thread, frankly, I have no issue with DIRECTV charging a little extra in ever market that has more than one RSN. In fact, I'm surprised they don't charge an extra 2 or 3 for each additional channel beyond the first. Los Angeles and NY both have more than two correct?

well some areas have 2 fsn feeds / a FS feed + a SUB one so that is really only 1 channel. FS SD is just a sub feed of WEST / prime ticket.

MSG / MSG + and alt's I think count as 1 but NY also has YES and SNY.

CSN has the part time over flow + feeds.

Las Vegas gets a lot of RSN's (with some blackouts on the CSN's)

Directv RSN look up tool does not seem to have TWCSN in it yet
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#43 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

That may be technically correct, but the whole reason why B1G added RU and Md was to get b1g charged as a local rsn in md and ru media markets.

Respectfully disagree. The packaging components of the Big 10, Pac 12, even the old Mountain West Channel are not like an RSN.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#44 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

!rolling

I think its hilarious you still think that roots is thew reason that Directv doesn't have the Blazers. They don't compete for the same eyes at all, so there is zero reason to actually think that no matter how you slice it. Its all about price of the Comcast channel, period, end of story.

I would concur...look at the timing. Comcast Sports Northwest launched in November of 2007 and D* (and many others) have not carried it. D* did not obtain Root Sports until 2009 that Liberty and the DIRECTV Group merged together, long after CSN NW was launched.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

I would concur...look at the timing. Comcast Sports Northwest launched in November of 2007 and D* (and many others) have not carried it. D* did not obtain Root Sports until 2009 that Liberty and the DIRECTV Group merged together, long after CSN NW was launched.

Directv and FSN NW (now Root Sports) were both in the same controlled group of News Corp prior to the spin off.

#46 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

:nono::nono:Mmmmm...Surcharges for watching NHL Hockey.:mad:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...