Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Excessive updateing

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ken Boothe

Ken Boothe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

I recently had a failure of my Direct TV receiver and a new receiver R16-500 was sent and I hooked it up and activated it over a week ago. I've been a direct tv customer since 1994 and this is the third receiver I've had I realize when a new receiver is activated it will be receiving a large number of updates for several days but the receiver I have now has been in service for over a week and it is still updating practically every time it's turned on is this normal for this receiver? With the other receivers I've had after the first couple of days we never saw an update alert and the on screen guide always seemed to be current. I realize I can chose to tell the receiver to update at a later date but if it decides to update when it's supposed to be recording a program will I
loose that program? After being in service for this long should it be updating this often practically every time it's turned on?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

I recently had a failure of my Direct TV receiver and a new receiver R16-500 was sent and I hooked it up and activated it over a week ago. I've been a direct tv customer since 1994 and this is the third receiver I've had I realize when a new receiver is activated it will be receiving a large number of updates for several days but the receiver I have now has been in service for over a week and it is still updating practically every time it's turned on is this normal for this receiver? With the other receivers I've had after the first couple of days we never saw an update alert and the on screen guide always seemed to be current. I realize I can chose to tell the receiver to update at a later date but if it decides to update when it's supposed to be recording a program will I
loose that program? After being in service for this long should it be updating this often practically every time it's turned on?

Call DirecTV and tell them what it is doing. I believe they have a procedure that you can do that will stop it from doing that.
They should be told it is not right from such a short time of being installed.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

I have heard of this problem before and it was related to a hard drive failing or acting marginally so I would call Directv and escalate it to the Technical Department and they can diagnose it for you.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Ken Boothe

Ken Boothe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Thanks to jimmie57 & Richierich I called tech support about two days after installation and they seemed to think I should wait a while longer so I sent the message I posted her to customer support after a week and never got an answer of whether that was normal or not just they were sorry for the inconvenience and I should call tech support.

#5 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

You need to call an ask to Escalate it to a Higher Technical Department CSR as they are the only ones who will understand your Problem!!! :)
Here's My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

This will not take too much effort and it is worth a try if you don't call them.
Unplug the power to it tonight before you go to bed.
Let it sit overnight and then plug it back in the next morning and see if it works after that.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Unplug the power to it tonight before you go to bed.
Let it sit overnight and then plug it back in the next morning and see if it works after that.

And if that doesn't work or if it does do you do it once every week???
Here's My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

And if that doesn't work or if it does do you do it once every week???

If it works it should be OK. This has worked for a couple of people in the past but I do not remember which receiver it was.

If it does not it probably needs to be replaced in my opinion.

#9 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

If it does not it probably needs to be replaced in my opinion.

I Agree!!! :)
Here's My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   Ken Boothe

Ken Boothe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Sorry for not updating sooner but really nothing fixed yet. Tried unplugging overnight no help I called Direct TV and got a young man who either didn’t know anything or thought he could blow smoke up my A**. After filling out there E-Mail questioner I received a call wed 19th about my experience with their tech person I was given a phone number and pin number to call when the problem occurred again next day thur 20th called special number reported my receiver had updated 4times between 2:30 wed afternoon and thur morning at 7:30am went thru all the hoops had I tried pushing the red reset button was I sure it was plugged in good was it plugged in to a outlet with a ground fault etc call back when it does it again it’s about 9:30 thur morning the wife starts watching a recording twice once at 10:44am and again at 11:55am it wanted to update but we chose the option to update later Thursday afternoon called back and gave an update of the problems was told they would call me back within a couple of days. I’v kept a log of the times I know it updated since 2:30p Wed 19th and today Fri 21st 12:00 Noon it’s updated 11 times and tried to update two more times that we over rode a update. The software number hasn’t changed with all these updates it’s still the same as ever. If and when Direct ever calls back I’ll post again. Ken:bang

#11 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

You've been putting up with this over 10 days, maybe it is about time to get more forceful in your approach as it seems to me they are just shining you on.

Given the model number of your unit, and the time you've been with Direct, you probably aren't under contract with them. Might be time to remind them of that!

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#12 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

If the progress bar stays at zero, the update times out and the receiver reboots, you have a bad LNB.

If the progress bar goes to 100 percent the receiver is bad.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#13 OFFLINE   Ken Boothe

Ken Boothe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

The progress bar goes to 100

#14 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

1373 is the current software release for a R16-500. If thats what shows on your system info screen and it keeps downloading over and over the receiver is broke. Sounds like your in case management if you have a pin number. Make them send a Tech. CM service calls are free.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#15 OFFLINE   Ken Boothe

Ken Boothe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Lparsons21: You’re right there just messin with me I am under contract but it expires next month. Actually this isn’t too much of a problem since I receive all the local stations direct off the air and use the receiver mostly to record. Another reason I hesitate giving them a hard time is back in 1954 when I first started with Direct TV I had a motor home and I had to go to a lot of trouble to get Direct to sell me the networks back in those days
They couldn’t sell you access to any network you were capable of receiving locally in order to get the networks I had to go to all the local TV stations and get them to write a waiver for me to receive the networks I still have the motor home but no longer use it however having the east and west feed comes in handy when several things are on at the same time.
Ken

#16 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

"1954"? :)

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#17 OFFLINE   Ken Boothe

Ken Boothe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Sorry didn't proof read Dec. 1994

samrs: The software # I'm refering to is the one given on the setup screen it also shows the most recent date and time of the update the software # on the setup screen reads 0x136B

Edited by Ken Boothe, 21 December 2012 - 07:00 PM.
Add info

#18 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

that means it is not successfully downloading the current s/w version,x1373. Try swapping the sat in cables if you have two. Tuner 2 may have better signal strength.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#19 ONLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

Since they Sent this to you -Maybe you should call for a service visit- it nay be a cable (plant) issue-The installer will go over your whole system .- I suggest you call for a Visit.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#20 OFFLINE   Ken Boothe

Ken Boothe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Brubear: My signal strength on both sat. inputs is good 92 to 96 on both antenna inputs but I reversed them and the software is still 0x136B.

Back on wed 19th when i was talking to the Direct TV person he ask what software # was on the screen and i told him 0x136B if that was the wrong software shouldn't he have known that?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...