Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Excessive updateing

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

WELL if you really want to try and fix it yourself (what have you got to lose?) you can try a COMPLETE REFORMAT of the HDD. If after that the thing still goes nuts with it's updating, there is something wrong with the motherboard- probably the non-volatile RAM.

Here goes...

Reboot the DVR and when the message RUNNING DIAGNOSTIC TEST appears quickly press the SELECT key on your remote. You will get a diagnostic menu. Choose manual tests and then reformat hard drive. This will take several hours. When (if) the procedure completes, you will get a screen asking for the satellite setup. You must do the satellite setup which you should have noted prior to this procedure (dish type, etc.) To get this information, prior to the procedure choose System Setup from the menu and then choose MORE INFO. Finally, you will get a screen asking for an order number. This is not necessary but the same screen will tell you that you have to call DirecTV to activate (authorize) the DVR. YOU MUST CALL A CSR AT DIRECTV TO DO THIS. Tell them you have code 721's on channels you should be getting (this they understand-telling them you reformatted the hard drive will get you nowhere). Do NOT let the automated phone system try reauthorizing the receiver-it won't work after this procedure. YOU MUST HAVE A LIVE HUMAN DIRECTV REP DO IT. Trust me-I've been through this before!

Good luck!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Ken Boothe

Ken Boothe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

ThomasM: Sounds like more than I’m up to at this time after Christmas I believe they will probably just send me another receiver. I came here after talking with a CSR who acted as tho he had never seen or heard of the banner that comes up at the top of the screen when the receiver is about to download software the one that gives you the choice of download now or download later. I figured if he had never seen this screen or even herd of it he wasn’t going to be of much help. The other two receivers I’ve had over the years never updated when I was watching anything I guess they did it in the early morning or at least when the rec was turned off. I noticed in your profile you’re a amateur radio operator I was a ham for many years (K5CPO) I let my license expire and was afraid to renew since I didn’t have any contacts back when you had to have a certain amount of contacts to renew I have a commercial license and didn’t want to take the chance of being the one in a thousand that the FCC might check and lose my commercial license in the deal. Thanks for the information Merry Christmas Ken

#23 OFFLINE   Ken Boothe

Ken Boothe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Wife has been in hospital so no time for TV. Finally received call from Direc TV today 1/03/13 tech agreed software # for my receiver was wrong and is sending new receiver.
When new receiver comes call back and let them know if problem is solved. I’ll post back after I’ve received new unit. Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.
Ken

#24 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

sorry for not responding, I've been out of pocket for the holidays. Glad a resolution has been deployed.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#25 OFFLINE   Ken Boothe

Ken Boothe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

New receiver arrived (R16-300) works as it should no up dating while watching recorded shows. Overall I’m quite satisfied with Direc TV as I stated earlier I’ve been with them since Dec 1994 they have always made good on there receivers and follow up to make sure I was satisfied in all these years I’ve encountered only two Tech’s that were not up to par everyone else I’ve dealt with were very knowledgeable and helpful. I want to thank everyone on the forum for their help and suggestions hope your experiences with Direc TV are as pleasant as mine.
Ken

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,727 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that it is working as it should for you now with the replaced receiver.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...