Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dtv or any other people working on christmas

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

What's your guys opinions on this other then emergency services or a gas station why do these compaines feel the need to make people work when they should be at home

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,648 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

America has been a 24/7 society for quite some time. I'm sure those who are working during the holidays accepted the responsibility when they they were hired.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Directv will have a Skeleton Crew On Board for the Holidays but expect Delays or call back after the Holidays.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

What's your guys opinions on this other then emergency services or a gas station why do these compaines feel the need to make people work when they should be at home

Someone has to keep the movie theaters and Chinese takeout open ;)

Anyway, the odds are many of them have the day off outside of the essential staff (the people who make sure everything is working and what to do if something were to go wrong at the uplink center). Christmas is a weekday this year and any pro sports played that day are national games so the staff that handles production of Sunday Ticket and League Pass aren't needed. When Christmas is on a Sunday the NFL's usual policy is to play that week on Saturday anyway. There's also probably some bare bones customer support and sales staff for those who just got new HDTVs for Christmas and wondering why they're not getting an HD picture when they hook it up to their D1x, R1x or older receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

I used to grab Thanksgiving midnight to 8 AM for my holiday assignment. I think I had one TR in like the five years I worked it.

But I was also got screwed one year when the day tour jerk didn't show up.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

I'm on call 24/7, 365.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#7 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

When I was in the Air Force the single guys would work Christmas and the marry ones on New Years.

#8 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

Personally, it's my pet peeve when people feel that they "deserve" time off for the holidays. The world does not stop just because it's Christmas. Obviously, it depends on what line of work you're in so everyone is going to have a differing opinion. If you're lucky enough to work for a company that shuts down for two weeks during the holidays, than congrats.

#9 OFFLINE   KevetS

KevetS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Why should they be home?

#10 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 906 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

DTV is service only on those major holidays and usually just a few service techs have to work it. They do have call centers open for support. Install and upgrade work is optional on those days for techs that want to work or if offices are behind they may require the techs to work installs and upgrades. Usually the office tries to pull the work forward or reschedule it so techs do not have to work it but you always have those customers that must have it then and only then.

#11 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Why should they be home?

My point exactly. Would it be nice? Sure, but not necessary.

Call me Scrooge I guess.

#12 OFFLINE   captaink5217

captaink5217

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

I feel the only people that should be working on holidays should be essential business and IMHO D is NOT an essential business, that's part of one of America's greatest downfalls, when business profit takes priority over family, as much as these companies claim to be about family their actions don't back up there talk.
Genie HR34-700
H24-200
C31-700

#13 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

I feel the only people that should be working on holidays should be essential business and IMHO D is NOT an essential business

You should take a look at the tour of the DirecTV uplink center to see what it takes for DirecTV to be up and running and the potential for disaster if it would go unmanned:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=211046

Unless you expect DirecTV to shutdown their entire service for 24 hours, the essential staff needs to be there. The same goes for the cable companies, the phone companies, the power company, etc. No one is saying that it will be a regular work day with fully staffed call centers, sales and business offices open and conducting business as usual. It will mostly be the tech and engineers making sure everything is running smoothly, the servers aren't overheating and monitoring all incoming feeds so they will be switched on at the right times, along with a bare bones call center operation.

#14 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

I feel the only people that should be working on holidays should be essential business and IMHO D is NOT an essential business, that's part of one of America's greatest downfalls, when business profit takes priority over family, as much as these companies claim to be about family their actions don't back up there talk.

Its not profit, its Customer Service.
I am sure hundreds if not thousand have problems with TV's on Christmas Day. Even simple stuff like a loose hdmi cable. Perhaps the extended family is over to watch a holiday favorite and the receiver stops working.

Imagine the extended family being mad at Directv for not being there by phone for them.

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,162 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

We have the freedom to work on holidays, or find other employment. There's no "should" or a need for "everybody to be at home." And some people prefer the quietude of low-volume holidays in place of noisy or boorish family.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

didn't we just go through this same thing over thanksgiving
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#17 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

I thought that the world was ending on 12/21 so this won't be an issue. If it doesn't, then I'm sure that a scaled down operation will be in effect at D*.

#18 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Not everyone observes Xmas. Why close things down on those who don't?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,893 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Tech support is a very important aspect of a company on Christmas day, when everyone starts playing with the new gadgets they got.

Not that DirecTV receivers are exactly a big Christmas gift.

I don't work in public customer service, but do take the week off and actually do feel I deserve it.

#20 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Tech support is a very important aspect of a company on Christmas day, when everyone starts playing with the new gadgets they got.

Not that DirecTV receivers are exactly a big Christmas gift.

No, but new TVs are. "I just set up my new 105" Coby plasma and all I get on the screen is "No Signal" and "Channel 3". I need you to send out a new receiver-NOW!" (BTW, the present receiver is a RCA DRD435RH... what I affectionately call the "Doorstop".)

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...