Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dtv or any other people working on christmas

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Just can't believe some of the comments that I have read on this thread.

Some of you are worse that the Grinch. Sorry, but plenty of people celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, and other holidays. Yes, we have some essential services that need staffed, but someone can wait one day to go to Walgreens or Walmart to get something.

Maybe part of the problem of our country is that we have overemphasized work over family and faith. Money is NOT everything.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

You have to remember too, not all jobs are retail based and dealing with the American public. Many jobs are hinged on what goes on in other countries, and it's not necessarily holiday season everywhere.

My work schedule follows not only the US Stock Market, but also the financial markets in other countries. As unfortunate as it may be, for a lot of people holidays become just another average day for the most part.

And it's not just all about money. It's about doing your job with minimal fuss. I get paid salary and get 4 weeks vacation a year, but it's difficult to take them sometimes. I don't lose any money if I take a day off, and I don't make more money if I work a 20 hour day on Christmas.

You have to just enjoy the amount of time you have with your family no matter how much time you get.

#53 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,182 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

When I worked in a call center at a utility company I used to sign up to work any and all holidays including xmas, and xmas eve. I would get paid double time and get an additional 8 hours of vacation time for each holiday worked. It was great and I appreciated the opportunity to earn extra money and extra paid time off to spend with my family.

What I don't appreciate is other people trying to tell me what I should be doing with my time. Not all of us are religious and some of us choose to live life based on reason and logic rather than "faith".

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#54 OFFLINE   WingNut

WingNut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

Haven't had to work a holiday since I graduated college in Jan of 2003. Before then I mostly worked jobs at bars, restaurants, and 5 years at a Nursing Home. Being young I didn't care about working the Holidays because I made a lot of extra money on those days and I figured it was better that the coworkers with kids/married be home with their family.

Now that I have kids/family of my own, there is no way I'd work on Thanksgiving or Christmas.

#55 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

When I worked in a call center at a utility company I used to sign up to work any and all holidays including xmas, and xmas eve. I would get paid double time and get an additional 8 hours of vacation time for each holiday worked. It was great and I appreciated the opportunity to earn extra money and extra paid time off to spend with my family.

What I don't appreciate is other people trying to tell me what I should be doing with my time. Not all of us are religious and some of us choose to live life based on reason and logic rather than "faith".

+1

#56 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,994 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

I work for Walgreens. They are open 365 days. Christmas Day is our busiest day of the year. We see alot of people coming in for last minute supplies. Im off And I wouldn't go into any store on Christmas day. If I do not have it. considering I had 364 day to get the item I will do without. But that is just me.

How are battery sales on that day?

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#57 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 973 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

I usually work Christmas day, or am on-call.

It's usually better to just come in and hang-out all day....I get to see what is going on all over the world (via internet and satellite), and I often get in contact with some interesting folks....like the DX'er who was listening to our AM station in Japan, 5500 miles away, on Christmas Day.
He e-mailed me photos of himself, his antennas, and the designs for his antenna and amplifier.

#58 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,994 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

For me, the company holidays are 12/24, 12/25, 12/31, and 1/1. In addition, we are under company shutdown for 12/26, 12/27, and 12/28. However, since the division that I work in has 24x7x365 global operations, we are going to be minimally staffed over those days receiving escalations from our other centers. I volunteered to work Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Not only will I be getting holiday pay, but overtime pay as well. Those holidays tend to be SLOW, so I get to catch up on work.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."

#59 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

It is usually a great time to make extra cash. Good employers tend to be pretty generous when it comes to perks for employees that work over Christmas or New Years - 1.5-2.5x salary, some sort of cash bonus, extra time off during some other week of the year, etc. If your employer doesn't offer any of these things... well, that's usually a sign of a company that doesn't treat their employees very well.

If you do not celebrate Christmas, or have family that lives a long ways away, it's a win-win. I personally wouldn't do it, but there are a lot of people that would jump on it.
Living Room: HR20-700 connected to a 52" Sony KDL-52Z5100
OTA: Radio Shack 15-2187 diplexed over SWM with Channel Master diplexers
Dish: CalAmp Slimline w/ WNC SWMline LNB
Spare receiver gathering dust: Phillips DSR-704

#60 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

If your employer doesn't offer any of these things... well, that's usually a sign of a company that doesn't treat their employees very well.

I'm not sure I agree with that... Each situation is up to interpretation I guess.

I'm sure there are plenty of salaried employees that work for large global companies that don't get extra pay working on holidays, and I'm sure they are are fine with their job.

In this job economy, can you imagine going up to your manager/boss and saying, "I won't work a holiday unless I get 2.5x pay!!" Boohoo, we don't always get what we want.

#61 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,994 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

A few years ago, I was able to get a day off on a day that was flagged "No day off requests" because A. My request was granted before the blackout was approved, B. I had documentation that it was for a exam at college, thus the date could not be changed, and C. I had filled in on enough other days (including holidays) to get the override.

#62 OFFLINE   Mark40930

Mark40930

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Were you with DTV for what I call "The Great RCA Massacre"?

I was gone by March of '05 as Clientlogic (D*'s contractor for the CC in Las Vegas then) wouldn't schedule me around my college class times, so I may have missed it.

At the time I left I was a qualified tier 2 CSR to troubleshoot HD and DVR issues that tier 1 couldn't do, along with about 20-30 others (they were adding more as I left).

D* Setup:
1 x HR24-500 DVR

FTA Setup (in storage):
HotDish 90cm dish
Invacom Linear/Circular LNBF
Openbox S16 HD receiver

Another circumstance, too, worried me in those days: that there was no on like me and I was unlike anyone else. - Dostoyevsky

#63 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

I was gone by March of '05 as Clientlogic (D*'s contractor for the CC in Las Vegas then) wouldn't schedule me around my college class times, so I may have missed it.

At the time I left I was a qualified tier 2 CSR to troubleshoot HD and DVR issues that tier 1 couldn't do, along with about 20-30 others (they were adding more as I left).

I was also a Tier 2 at the time.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#64 OFFLINE   ikoniq

ikoniq

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:43 AM

I'm in a D* call center and they gave us Christmas Day off, but we don't get New Year's.

#65 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

Our family has their big celebration on Christmas Eve so some of us like to go to a movie on Christmas day. Like you said there isn't much else to do.

SHHH! Don't say that too loudly. Some store like K-Mart will get the idea to start their after Christmas sales at 8am on Christmas morning.

#66 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

When I worked in a 24/7 call center quite a long time ago I always volunteered for Christmas (and New Years) Eve and Christmas Day. Why?

#1) The slowest call volume days of the year.
#2) Got paid 2X
#3) I don't celebrate Christmas (or New Years) so I figured I'd give those that did the opportunity to be with their families

Problem was, when I wanted 2 days off for the holiday I **DID** celebrate I was told 'work your schedule or be fired." I quit on Jan 2 after that holiday season.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...