Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Restore factory settings

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,955 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

Last night, I was troubleshooting a commercial installation that consists of a SWM5, two H25s, about 500 ' of RG-11 with a Sonora 141R, 14dB inline amp just past the SWiM power inserter, about 300 feet from the dish. FYI, this system works even without the Sonora amp, but doesn't have much rain fade margin without it. This is the same site where I have reported intermittent radar problems in another thread. The problem now is that the receivers intermittently say that they are having trouble communicating with the dish, but that is not the symptom I am going to address on this thread.

My immediate problem has to do with the RF remote. I substituted a new H25 for one of the two that is acting up. Because of where this receiver is located, it absolutely has to use an RF remote. When I attempted to select RF, I got to the screen that said to hold in "Mute" and Select" together until the green remote LED flashed twice, which it did. Then I followed the instructions which, as I recall, said to manually enter 961 and I did, and I observed the receiver panel light responding in acknowledgement of those keystrokes. Then it said to press "channel up", but when I did that, the receiver did not respond to that or to any subsequent remote keystrokes, though it continues to respond to the receiver panel buttons. I tried both the RF and IR remotes, but the receiver doesn't respond to either.

I got tired of running from one room to another to observe the screen responses to what I was doing, so I set up a test TV, first using an RCA jumper from std def A/V video, and found that I could repeat the remote set-up process by again depressing mute and select and see the receiver respond to the 9, 6, and 1 keystrokes, but it would not acknowledge to the channel up or let me further navigate with either remote.

Then, I got thrown a curve. A message came up on the screen on my test monitor, telling me that I was using a monitor that could not support 720p and that I HAD to press and hold in the "exit" key, but that receiver was, by this point, not responding to the remote, so I was stuck.

I had to get a receiver working in time for the Monday Night Football game, so I called technical service but had trouble communicating with the CSR because of a lousy cell phone connection, so I finally asked him to do a master reset to restore the factory settings, but he said he didn't have that capacity. He said he didn't have the means to reset the receiver but that I could do so by pressing the red button. Keep in mind that I had to have him repeat everything he was saying three or four times because of the bad phone connection. I pressed the red button but it didn't restore the functionality of the remote or make that annoying screen message go away.

To get around that screen message, I installed a video "dongle(?)" that let me support my test TV on component out. But still, neither remote worked. I somehow got out of the set up, thought I don't remember how, and selected ESPN manually.

During the game, my intermittent signal problem recurred, but my first priority today will be to just get back to the IR remote operation.

When I call DirecTV back, is there a way for a higher level CSR to restore my factory settings or otherwise address this RF/IR remote problem for me?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:46 AM

Are you able to use the front panel buttons to navigate to Menu> Settings & Help> Settings> Reset> Reset Everything ?

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

You can use the front of the box to set it back to IR.

After you do 961 channel up you then enter the last 6 of the RID and hit select. If you redo your process it should work.

So the remote will do the following:

Mute+select: 2 blinks
961: 2 blinks
Channel Up: 2 blins
Last 6 of RID and select: 2 blinks (maybe 4)

The receiver won't respond until it's complete because it's now looking for the RF signal once you're on the programming message part of the screen.

With that said this is an RF remote already correct and not a new one? RC6XR or RB.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,955 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

You can use the front of the box to set it back to IR.

After you do 961 channel up you then enter the last 6 of the RID and hit select. If you redo your process it should work.

So the remote will do the following:

Mute+select: 2 blinks
961: 2 blinks
Channel Up: 2 blins
Last 6 of RID and select: 2 blinks (maybe 4)

The receiver won't respond until it's complete because it's now looking for the RF signal once you're on the programming message part of the screen.

With that said this is an RF remote already correct and not a new one? RC6XR or RB.

Since I can navigate from the front panel, I'll try that later this morning or early afternoon.

The RF remote has an X as a digit/character in its model number. It is the remote that was being used by the receiver that was swapped out.

This system is a nightmare to troubleshoot because it is about a ten munute journey from the receivers, to the TVs. to the basement communications room splitter/power inserter, to the rooftop dish on this ten story building. When you try to troubleshoot an intermittent problem in an installation like this, which is what I will be doing once I get the remote situation squared away, it is most beneficial to be able to swap back and forth rapidly between two physical configurations to establish that one is working when the other isn't, but that is impossible here. I will probably be moving the dish to parking lot level today, where it will be just seconds away from the main TV, and hope that they don't tell me that putting the dish there is unacceptable.

Edited by AntAltMike, 17 December 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

Since I can navigate from the front panel, I'll try that later this morning or early afternoon.

The RF remote has an X as a digit/character in its model number. It is the remote that was being used by the receiver that was swapped out.

This system is a nightmare to troubleshoot because it is about a ten munute journey from the receivers, to the TVs. to the basement communications room splitter/power inserter, to the rooftop dish on this ten story building. When you try to troubleshoot an intermittent problem in an installation like this, which is what I will be doing once I get the remote situation squared away, is is most beneficial to be able to swap back and forth rapidly between two physical configurations to establish that one is working when the other isn't, but that is impossible here. I will probably be moving the dish to parkinglot level today, where it will be just seconds away from the mainTV, and hope that they don't tell me that putting the dish there is unacceptable.

Yes you can just use the front panel to navigate and turn it back to IR.

X indicates that it's an XMP remote which will self identify and download codes automatically.

The remote needs to be one of the following model numbers in order to be RF. The H25 would also need an RF antenna on the back of it which is optional for that receiver.

RC32
RC6*R
RC6*RB
RC65RX
RC65RBX

http://www.solidsign...ount-(h25-rfkit)
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Floyd

Floyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

When I call DirecTV back, is there a way for a higher level CSR to restore my factory settings or otherwise address this RF/IR remote problem for me?

Here are three ways to reset a receiver:
1. unplug it
2. use the menu to perform one of the reset choices
3. use the red button

I'm not aware of DTV being able to send a reset command over their satellites to a receiver, but it would seem possible if they incorporate that into thier firmware.

I thought that the SD warning has a timeout?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...