Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Strange earlier than normal morning software update . . .

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

I was watching the new Star Trek 2 trailer on my BDP and when done switched back to my 722 and caught it in the middle of a 20 minute, it said, software download and update at 2:46am when my updates are set for 6am. The SWv was already and remains L727. What could this have been?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

I was watching the new Star Trek 2 trailer on my BDP and when done switched back to my 722 and caught it in the middle of a 20 minute, it said, software download and update at 2:46am when my updates are set for 6am. The SWv was already and remains L727. What could this have been?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Would you please verify that you have your updates set for 6AM, as it could have changed?

#3 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

Would you please verify that you have your updates set for 6AM, as it could have changed?

Yup. It's set for 6am every morning. One of the first things I checked. The reason for 6am is that I am usually using the box until then. Many times I have stopped it or allowed it to continue. It's easier to work at night. The amateurs can't get in your way.

But then it fired off again at 6. So . . . But it wasn't this special "this will take 20 minutes", and I meant to remember the screen number, just the regular daily update process.

Edited by FarmerBob, 12 December 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

Turn out to be the L728 update and it did it when it pleased. After it said it was done I checked to see if it was a SW/FW update and it still said L727. Just found a thread announcing this. Not a good one for me.

One mystery solved. But why did it do it on its own, instead of when scheduled? That mystery still remains.

#5 ONLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

My 722K got the L756 software around 2:45 am even though I have it set to update at 5 am, so I am thinking it must spool them when they think the machine is idle. Too bad that is the time I get home and like to watch the evening news and unwind before I got to bed; it took about 20 minutes too!

#6 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

Well been trying to watch today's catch and it's all FUBAR'd. Many problems with this up date, at least on my box. So switching to BD and DLNA for the night. Will see what all is broken tomorrow. I mean when the sun is up, I have more patience and am less apt to throw it out the window.

#7 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Please let us know if you are noticing issues with the recent update on your receiver. You can PM me with the details. Please let me know. Thanks.

Well been trying to watch today's catch and it's all FUBAR'd. Many problems with this up date, at least on my box. So switching to BD and DLNA for the night. Will see what all is broken tomorrow. I mean when the sun is up, I have more patience and am less apt to throw it out the window.

#8 ONLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Mine has had it for a couple of weeks and I have not seen that it has changed anything for the good or the bad on mine.

#9 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:17 AM

Please let us know if you are noticing issues with the recent update on your receiver. You can PM me with the details. Please let me know. Thanks.

Have been posting at:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=211202

Last post which will start the list on my issues:

Observations so far:
1. Up to 2 minutes of black screen after starting a recorded program. The box will not respond to any commands until a picture appears. The only way out if there is no picture is to soft restart the box.
1a. The "Acquiring Signal" pop up after starting stays on the screen until you change the channel.
2. Had Six (6) incidents of a single timers all running at once. All marked the same tuner, #2 for the same program.
3. Several programs show that they have been fully recorded, but when I try to play them there is nothing there. The DVR Event window shows that the entire event was recorded, but no time left. When selecting start it goes to black and back to the DVR Event screen.
4. Lots of hesitation when navigating.
5. I think it ate my EHD. It will no longer respond to the DVR. I will have to see if it responds to a standard computer hookup. Then I'll run a diag on it.

More as I find them.

#10 ONLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Have been posting at:

Observations so far:
1. Up to 2 minutes of black screen after starting a recorded program. The box will not respond to any commands until a picture appears. The only way out if there is no picture is to soft restart the box.
1a. The "Acquiring Signal" pop up after starting stays on the screen until you change the channel.
2. Had Six (6) incidents of a single timers all running at once. All marked the same tuner, #2 for the same program.
3. Several programs show that they have been fully recorded, but when I try to play them there is nothing there. The DVR Event window shows that the entire event was recorded, but no time left. When selecting start it goes to black and back to the DVR Event screen.
5. I think it ate my EHD. It will no longer respond to the DVR. I will have to see if it responds to a standard computer hookup. Then I'll run a diag on it.

More as I find them.

Sorry to hear you are having these issues, almost sounds like a hard drive issue though. Do you own the unit or is it a lease?

#11 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

From your earlier post, you said you still have L7.27 on your receiver, is this correct or do you have L7.28? I do not see any known issues with the latest update.

Does your receiver see your EHD (and you are not able to view any recordings) or is it not recognizing it? Please let me know. Thanks.

Have been posting at:

Observations so far:

More as I find them.

#12 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

From your earlier post, you said you still have L7.27 on your receiver, is this correct or do you have L7.28? I do not see any known issues with the latest update.

Does your receiver see your EHD (and you are not able to view any recordings) or is it not recognizing it? Please let me know. Thanks.

That is what started the whole thing as to what was going on. It did the whole update thing at 2am and after it said the SWv was still L7.27. There entered the question? That is what first brought me here. Then I started having "issues" and came back saw the post about L7.28 having been released, went and checked and then it said L7.28 a day or so later. Right after the "mysterious" DL, I did the pull the plug power cycle like I have read and always do. And have had to three times since due to lock ups. So . . . Well you're seeing issues with it now.

As far as the EHD I can not access it through the DVR at all. I unplug it and the box says it's been unplugged. But when plugged back in it wants to reformat it. I have never been comfortable with the way DISH boxes handle EHD's and the hoops that you need to go through to make them work with them. Not sure the drive is still viable. The next step is to run diagnostics on it with a computer and see what shape the drive is in.

#13 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Sorry to hear you are having these issues, almost sounds like a hard drive issue though. Do you own the unit or is it a lease?

Thank you. Yup. I think I agree on the drive failure, but find it curious that started right after this last update. That would explain a couple of the "issues". It's a leaser, #3 since I got the first one in 2006. Having been with DISH since 1994, I have swapping out boxes down to a science. I install them purposely with the premise that it may need to be pulled in 5 minutes. If only the EHD worked I wouldn't be too concerned about losing what's on the internal drive.

spam firewall