Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR died... thinking of doing some upgrades...

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:23 AM

I just completely disagree.

So you also disagree that most customers will not use the 1tb hard drive? Cause they won't. 1 terabyte is a hella a lot of memory. They even told us that in training most customers won't use it.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,533 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:39 AM

It's not really that much more than a HR24. Now, the external support compared to a 24 and older, that is a lot of memory.

#43 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

So you also disagree that most customers will not use the 1tb hard drive? Cause they won't. 1 terabyte is a hella a lot of memory. They even told us that in training most customers won't use it.

Well, I have 14 TBs of Memory with my 7 DVRs and 2 are over 85% filled up so I must not be the Norm!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#44 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Well, I have 14 TBs of Memory with my 7 DVRs and 2 are over 85% filled up so I must not be the Norm!!! :lol:

:lol:

I got 1.5 with my HR34 and 23. and the 34 still hase 79% and 23 has 55%

Maybe I'm the norm, :hurah:

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#45 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

Greetings,

Ok, the HR-21 is my son's room died. I was thinking this would be a good time to consider an upgrade (equipment in signature). I was told I could get the HR-21 replaced at no charge. I was also available to get a free upgrade from one of the D12-500s to a HD receiver. I could then upgrade another D12 to an HD receiver for $99. So basically, I would have 2 x HD DVRs and 2 x HD receivers... I don't really care about the 5th receiver (another D12) as it's connected to an old CRT TV (SD) in a guest bedroom. While the above setup would get all my main rooms on HD, it doesn't really seem like they are giving me any "deals". When I asked about the Genie... I was told it would be $299 (which included a client for one room) and if I wanted to upgrade the other two rooms, it would be $99 each... so $497 :lol: Any comments?

Also, I currently have the non-supported Ethernet Whole Home DVR service. It currently connects my two DVRs and allows them to share content, but NOT tuners. I have heard rumors that a future software upgrade would allow one DVR to steal a tuner if needed (like a HD non-DVR can). is this true? Also, if I do the above upgrade... will both new HD receivers be able to connect to my Whole Home DVR system via Ethernet? Can EACH hd receiver access EACH current hd-dvr?

-Thanks

Wow! I'll say you need an upgrade!

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Diff' strokes, diff' folks!
I frequently prune not just my List, but Series Links, too.
I never keep a sporting event, no matter how lovely the victory. Possibly the only area in my life where I am disciplined....:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

I can second this. I have four HR2X DVRs on a SWM system with Whole Home enabled and I can honestly say I don't miss not having an HR34. I have eight tuners with recording capability and the content is shared across all of my SWM connected boxes. The only negative is I cannot kick off a recording on a remote DVR. I can only start a recording on the box in the room where I am sitting but so far that hasn't been a problem. I have series links spread out all across the Living Room, Family Room and two bedrooms.

I still have three legacy receivers that I am probably going to upgrade to H2X boxes just to get the whole system on Whole Home where all recordings are available on all sets. The only thing really holding me back is that two of those legacy units are R10 DirecTivos connected to SD sets in the kitchen and the dining room and I don't want to lose the trick play. My wife is the Queen of "what did they say" and I am constantly rewinding live TV and turning up the volume so she can catch what she missed.

If I upgrade those R10s to H2X boxes I will gain Whole Home capability but lose trick play. I'm not entirely sure which is more valuable to our viewing habits.

Why not go with all HRs? I don't see any advantage to having plain receivers. I do understand if it's monetary considerations.

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Iwas not try to hijack the op thread for answers to my own if thats what your getting at. Mine went out and so did his , i just mentioned what i i found and maybe it was the same and he might want to give it a shot and see if he could get his going. I noticed we both had the same model.

Then you both need upgrading.

Rich

#49 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

I acctually wanted an HR34 when they first came out but DirecTV was not and is not willing to offer me a deal on one, even though I was well out of contract. Full price for the receiver plus SWM and WHDVR installation before they would send it out...it was going to cost me in the neighborhood of $600.

Long story short, I bought the SWM and DECA hardware privately for much less and DirecTV sent me one HDDVR for free and charged me $99 for another so for about $200 I added 4 tuners with WHDVR instead of $600 for 5 tuners.

In retrospect I believe I am actually happier with this setup than I would have been with the HR34...not that it is a bad unit, but for much less money I gained more than enough recording capability (it's just my wife and I) and ended up with one more room with live TV trick play than the HR34 upgrade would have gotten me.

The HR34 by all accounts is a great unit but it isn't the be all and end all or the "ultimate" piece of technology for DirecTV subscribers. In fact it may not even be the best option at all.

Agreed. My MRV is much more flexible without a 34. If D* allows us to have our HRs read any HDD within an account, a DVR with five tuners (and a pitifully small HDD, necessitating the purchase of an external setup to add capacity) I might consider. Might.

Rich

#50 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

I have 12 HRs, 10 on MRV and all have more than 1TB of content on them. At least they told you that "most" customers won't fill them up. And I'm not sure that's a true statement.

Rich.

#51 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Why not go with all HRs? I don't see any advantage to having plain receivers. I do understand if it's monetary considerations.

Rich

Yes, it is primarily monetary. Not everyone has the ability to throw hundreds of dollars at equipment. I have about $500/month in recurring medical costs for my wife and I. That's where my disposable income goes.

Also, I haven't watched TV in the dining room or the office in weeks. The dining room table is a catch all and we go months at a time where we don't even eat in there and when I put the TV on in the office I listen more than I look since I am probably working.

The third legacy receiver which is in the kitchen is on on while I am cooking dinner or while my wife and I are eating. While I am cooking I am listening more than I am looking and while we are eating the 19" TV is on the other side of the room...far enough away from our "old" eyes to make it a moot point.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#52 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

I completely disagree that replacing a hr2x with a genie is a downgrade in any way shape or form. A full system, maybe, under some very particular situations that very very few will ever meet, but as a strait swap of the two, no, never a downgrade in any way.

#53 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

Yes, it is primarily monetary. Not everyone has the ability to throw hundreds of dollars at equipment. I have about $500/month in recurring medical costs for my wife and I. That's where my disposable income goes.

Also, I haven't watched TV in the dining room or the office in weeks. The dining room table is a catch all and we go months at a time where we don't even eat in there and when I put the TV on in the office I listen more than I look since I am probably working.

The third legacy receiver which is in the kitchen is on on while I am cooking dinner or while my wife and I are eating. While I am cooking I am listening more than I am looking and while we are eating the 19" TV is on the other side of the room...far enough away from our "old" eyes to make it a moot point.

Kinda funny how dining rooms have fallen out of favor in many homes, isn't it? Ours is like yours, just a flat space to put stuff on.

Rich

#54 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Kinda funny how dining rooms have fallen out of favor in many homes, isn't it? Ours is like yours, just a flat space to put stuff on.

Rich

Yup.

My wife went and invited guests for Christmas though so cleaning off the dining room table is on this week's to do list.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#55 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Yup.

My wife went and invited guests for Christmas though so cleaning off the dining room table is on this week's to do list.

Merry Xmas.... :lol:

Rich

#56 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Rich

Not in my house. I have a Very Expensive Dining Room Table that I have eaten at about 12 times and a Very Expensive China Hutch that just loves to gather dust.

Oh well, the wife is Happy so that is all that matters. If she ain't happy ain't nobody gonna be Happy!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#57 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

I have 12 HRs, 10 on MRV and all have more than 1TB of content on them. At least they told you that "most" customers won't fill them up. And I'm not sure that's a true statement.

Rich.

that call center told us many things that i later discovered weren't true (like telling customers a hd-dvr will not show the hd extra pack channels on a standard def tv and it does just not in high def) so i wouldn't doubt it to be honest.

#58 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Not in my house. I have a Very Expensive Dining Room Table that I have eaten at about 12 times and a Very Expensive China Hutch that just loves to gather dust.

Oh well, the wife is Happy so that is all that matters. If she ain't happy ain't nobody gonna be Happy!!!

Truth!!!

Rich

#59 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

that call center told us many things that i later discovered weren't true (like telling customers a hd-dvr will not show the hd extra pack channels on a standard def tv and it does just not in high def) so i wouldn't doubt it to be honest.

It's unfortunate they don't really train their people well, I guess they count on on-the-job training. Not the best way to do that, but it seems to work for them.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...