Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Where, O, Where Did My Sling Adapter Go?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

Just a few days after adding the Dish OTA adapter to the Hopper, the red light is now off on my Sling Adapter and will not come back on.

When I got the Sling Adapter, it would only work in one USB port. When I got the USB OTA Adapter, it would only work in that same USB port, but then the Sling Adapter worked in the port under it. Now only the OTA Adapter is working.

I've waited through a couple automatic reboots and nothing has changed.

Anyone have any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

Sounds like a USB problem on the Hopper, unfortunately.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Have you unplugged the Hopper from the electrical outlet for 10 seconds and plugged it back in to have the receiver reboot? When was your Hopper installed? If it still will not work, please PM me your account number so I can send you a replacement receiver. Please let me know. Thanks.

Just a few days after adding the Dish OTA adapter to the Hopper, the red light is now off on my Sling Adapter and will not come back on.

When I got the Sling Adapter, it would only work in one USB port. When I got the USB OTA Adapter, it would only work in that same USB port, but then the Sling Adapter worked in the port under it. Now only the OTA Adapter is working.

I've waited through a couple automatic reboots and nothing has changed.

Anyone have any ideas?

#4 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Now that I'm not recording anything, I did some troubleshooting. First, I did the unplug/plug reset, which changed nothing. Checking the System Diagnostics screen shows the Slingbox status as "INVALID".

Then I unplugged it and removed the OTA adapter, plugging the Slingbox back into the port that it had been working in before I installed the OTA adapter. Plugged it back in. The Slingbox light did not light, and the status was still "INVALID".

Then I removed the Slingbox adapter, and plugged the OTA adapter back in. After a reboot, the OTA adapter is now working.

At this point, I believe it is the Slingbox adapter, not the Hopper, that is failed, since I can plug the Slingbox adapter into a known good USB port and it still will not work. The Slingbox did work for about a week after installing the OTA adapter, and it did work when I was upgraded to S230, so I don't believe the problem is software-based. I'll contact Ray via PM and see what can be done at this point.

#5 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Can you try the OTA adapter in the other USB ports?

#6 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

The OTA adapter did not work in the other port, even with the Sling Adapter connected to the first port (and working.)

I had read somewhere that the Hopper was fussy about which ports were used, and I've had to fiddle with them to figure out which one would work in what configuration. The only one that worked with both attached was OTA adapter in the top and Sling in the bottom. Reversing it never worked.

Dish is sending me a new Sling Adapter, since it is still under warranty. If that doesn't work, looks like I'll be trying to use an EHD to offload my recorded content and replacing the Hopper itself.

#7 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

Sounds like a good plan to me.

#8 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

The replacement Sling adapter arrived yesterday. Plugged it in where the old one was and the red light lit up within five seconds. Streaming video again without issue.

#9 OFFLINE   Cardini

Cardini

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

I had the same thing, and the same result. New Sling adapter from Dish at no cost arrived in 48 hours. All is good again.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...