Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DishPhone?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

A proposal to allow Dish Network Corp. (DISH) to offer smartphone service was approved by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission, the agency said.

The second-largest U.S. satellite-TV provider needed FCC approval to start a wireless service that could compete with the largest U.S. mobile provider, Verizon Wireless, and No. 2 AT&T Inc. (T) Dish has built up its spectrum holdings as it seeks to decrease its reliance on the satellite-TV business, which is losing subscribers.

http://www.bloomberg...regulators.html

(Maybe Chucky'll pay me for that name.)
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

it'l be known as the D-phone in the Hood.

#3 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

There are some rumors that they might be teaming up with Google to provide wireless data services, briefly discussed here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=210447

#4 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'm freakin' thrilled. Dish-run, Google-direct cell service. WOO

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Can't wait :rolleyes:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

"losing subsribers"

yup cause directv is kicking their asses. :D

#7 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

"losing subsribers"

I think that's a little overboard to say that. From what I can see in my neck of the woods folks are leaving Directv in droves. Used to be tons of my neighbors had Directv....today, you'd be hard pressed to find a neighbor still with them. Pac 12 Network (and the lack of CSN-NW) pushed most out to Comcast and a few of us went with Dish.

For months Comcast hit the neighborhood hard with incredible sign up specials and reminders they had the college games and the Blazers and Directv didn't. It worked because few are left with Directv.

Century Link guys started coming around and pushing their bundles a short while later.....but the guy conceded to me it was a tough sell because people in the neighborhood were fed up with not having their sports and he was not selling too many conversions to the Century Link bundles....

Whether this is true everywhere, I can't say. But right here right now Directv is a non-player in my neighborhood. They had a ton of us and we all left. It's reality here.

#8 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

"losing subsribers"

Nope.
Most like all tv providers are getting there asses handed to them slowly by streaming services.
It wont last for ever though.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...