Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM issue with one receiver on reset

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sritter

sritter

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Hi,

My setup includes an HR34, H20 and HR21-200 with whole home. Whenever we experience a power outage (or the HR21-200 is updated) it sits at 0% on receiving satellite settings until I disconnect another device from the MSPLIT4R1-03 splitter. All other devices come up fine. Once I disconnect another device and RBR on the HR21-200 is comes up fine at which point I can reconnect the disconnected device and it to is fine. I have tried switching the HR21-200 to another port on the splitter and it has the same issue if all 4 devices are connected.

Is this most likely a splitter issue or receiver?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hi,

My setup includes an HR34, H20 and HR21-200 with whole home. Whenever we experience a power outage (or the HR21-200 is updated) it sits at 0% on receiving satellite settings until I disconnect another device from the MSPLIT4R1-03 splitter. All other devices come up fine. Once I disconnect another device and RBR on the HR21-200 is comes up fine at which point I can reconnect the disconnected device and it to is fine. I have tried switching the HR21-200 to another port on the splitter and it has the same issue if all 4 devices are connected.

To me it sounds like a cabling issue.

The way SWM works is it outputs 9 channels, one for guide and conditional access data, and then 8 more to be used by receivers. Each channel operates at higher frequencies than the previous. The higher the frequency, the less likely it is to come in with longer runs or damaged cable/connectors. Typically these channels are assigned from lower to higher.

The receivers once booted up use the 1st(and easiest to get in) SWM channel to download guide data. I'm not sure if they use this while booting up. If they don't, it would explain your issue.

What are your readings on the HR21 if you bring all 3 receivers to the SWM signal meter screen at the same time(or disconnect the HR34 and H20)?

Are you using RG59?

As a side note, I'm surprised to see an H20 in a whole home environment. This typically means you've done part or all of the install yourself. If you did, do you still have extra connectors and cable around?
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#3 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,897 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Hi,

if all 4 devices are connected.

you mentioned "4 devices" but listed 3 receivers. those 3 receives max you out on a SWM system. what is the 4th device. it looks like you have an oversubscribed SWM system

#4 OFFLINE   sritter

sritter

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

The 4th device is the Deca Broadband Adapter. No RG59.

I didn't do any of the install myself. Actually I just looked it up it is an H25, not an H20, sorry about that.

What are your readings on the HR21 if you bring all 3 receivers to the SWM signal meter screen at the same time(or disconnect the HR34 and H20)

I will post this back later today.

Edited by sritter, 14 December 2012 - 06:30 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   sritter

sritter

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

I went into the SWM signal meter in this order, HR34, HR21, H25

HR34 - 100's across the board
HR21 - Transponder 2 at 0, rest at 100
H25 - 100's across the board.

I then went to exit all the receivers out of the meter, in the order below, and the results had changed which I understand is due to the number of tuners in use, when a tuner is in use the transponder will show 0.

HR21 - 100's across the board
H25 - 0's on 8 & 9, 100's on the rest
HR34 - 0's on 2, 8, & 9, 100's on the rest.

Edited by sritter, 14 December 2012 - 01:00 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I went into the SWM signal meter in this order, HR34, HR21, H25

HR34 - 100's across the board
HR21 - Transponder 2 at 0, rest at 100
H25 - 100's across the board.

I then went to exit all the receivers out of the meter, in the order below, and the results had changed which I understand is due to the number of tuners in use, when a tuner is in use the transponder will show 0.

HR21 - 100's across the board
H25 - 0's on 8 & 9, 100's on the rest
HR34 - 0's on 2, 8, & 9, 100's on the rest.

Interesting. Nothing pin-points to a specific issue with the HR21. Right now it appears like your HR21 is assigned channels 8 and 9. This is where I had expected the problems. It's hard to say exactly whats going on.

Are you having any other issues with it?

What are your 101 readings from both tuners of the HR21?
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...