Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Have to Reset Nomad Every Night!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Got the Nomad this week, and every evening when I come home from work, it only shows one or two shows from both my DVRs. I have to power-cycle the Nomad, and then all the shows from both DVRs appear in the list. Next day, I get home from work, and the same two or three shows are the only thing that shows up in the list. I power-cycle the Nomad, and all the shows re-appear. All this while this is happening, the Nomad shows three happy blue lights.

What is wrong with this thing? Do I need to return it?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,564 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

How is your Nomad connected to your home network?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

How is your Nomad connected to your home network?

Ethernet to the router.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#4 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

I have to say that I have found my nomad to be mostly useless. It is still on the floor under my HR-34, happily showing three blue lights, but every time I have tried to transfer a show it takes forever and none of the series that I thought I had automatically set to transfer ever do.

I just ignore it for the most part. I got it for "free" for complaining about something else and frankly, it is worth what I paid for it.

Since I have a couple of slingboxes, I haven't really found a need for it.

Bad idea, badly executed. I suspect it will die an ignominious death.

#5 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

I have to say that I have found my nomad to be mostly useless. It is still on the floor under my HR-34, happily showing three blue lights, but every time I have tried to transfer a show it takes forever and none of the series that I thought I had automatically set to transfer ever do.

I just ignore it for the most part. I got it for "free" for complaining about something else and frankly, it is worth what I paid for it.

Since I have a couple of slingboxes, I haven't really found a need for it.

Bad idea, badly executed. I suspect it will die an ignominious death.

I don't know that that is a fair assessment. Aside from having to reset it every night, it has worked very well. I have used it to watch a couple of Nets games and a movie. Sure, it takes about three hours to prepare the basketball games, but then it transfers the game to my ultrabook before I wake up in the morning so I can take it to work with me. I watch the game while riding in the carpool. It takes only five minutes or so to transfer the same game to my iphone, but I prefer the larger screen for sports (and since I have NBA League Pass Mobile through Sprint, I watch on the computer whenever possible, because I have to watch the majority of the games on my phone anyway).

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#6 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Sorry to hear you have to reset the Nomad every day in order to see the programming available on your two DVR's.

It's interesting that some programs still appear.

Having all three blue lights is good, leading one to suspect a networking problem, instead. Maybe its a DHCP networking problem for your DVR's. Might try to set the DVR's up as fixed IP's outside of your routers DHCP range. That's what I have done, but I only have one HR DVR.

Are you MRV? Can the DVR's see each other's saved programming while the Nomad cannot?

I used the Nomad for a trip and it worked great. Only issue has been when D* does something on their server end causing the Not Activated error message, which often can only be fixed by first D* fixing the server problem, then having to uninstall and reinstall the app or software. It's a destructive error.

You might want to try to fully uninstall and then reinstall the software on your computer and/or iphone/ipad.

#7 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Sorry to hear you have to reset the Nomad every day in order to see the programming available on your two DVR's.

It's interesting that some programs still appear.

Having all three blue lights is good, leading one to suspect a networking problem, instead. Maybe its a DHCP networking problem for your DVR's. Might try to set the DVR's up as fixed IP's outside of your routers DHCP range. That's what I have done, but I only have one HR DVR.

Are you MRV? Can the DVR's see each other's saved programming while the Nomad cannot?

I used the Nomad for a trip and it worked great. Only issue has been when D* does something on their server end causing the Not Activated error message, which often can only be fixed by first D* fixing the server problem, then having to uninstall and reinstall the app or software. It's a destructive error.

You might want to try to fully uninstall and then reinstall the software on your computer and/or iphone/ipad.

I have both DVRs in the same room. The HR20 is connected to the HR21 via ethernet, and the HR21 is connected to the network via a WiFi adapter. No MRV.

I have been afraid to try to set up static IP for the DVRs because I don't know much about networking and I don't want to screw up the whole network (it has 2 DVRs, an XBOX 360, Four iPhones, one iPad, one Touchpad, and seven PCs on it).

As for uninstalling and reinstalling the software, all four authorized platforms always show the same shows when this happens. In other words, I get the same result from the iPhone, iPad, and two PCs at the same time. Rebooting the Nomad seems to be the only thing that brings all the shows back, and it does it at the same time on all four clients. I think the problem is most likely with the Nomad itself or with the network. Since WiFi networking is mostly voodoo, its probably there.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#8 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,564 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Some routers only assign a DHCP Lease for 24-hrs. That might be your problem. See if you can find that setting in your Router's setup and increase it.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#9 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

Some routers only assign a DHCP Lease for 24-hrs. That might be your problem. See if you can find that setting in your Router's setup and increase it.

I have it set to 999 hours. I wish I could have no limit, but that was all I could do with the router.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#10 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Two days ago, I unplugged everything to do with the network including the Nomad for five minutes. I plugged it all back in and the Nomad has been perfect since. Looks like it was a network problem after all.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,669 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Two days ago, I unplugged everything to do with the network including the Nomad for five minutes. I plugged it all back in and the Nomad has been perfect since. Looks like it was a network problem after all.

Good to hear things cleared up for you.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

Good to hear things cleared up for you.

Unfortunately, the network problem has returned...

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,669 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

Unfortunately, the network problem has returned...

:(

So...you have set DHCP reserved IPs in the router too? It lamost sounds like your network reservations for the devices are "dropping off".
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#14 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,398 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

I have both DVRs in the same room. The HR20 is connected to the HR21 via ethernet, and the HR21 is connected to the network via a WiFi adapter. No MRV.

The HR20 is connected to the HR21 via ethernet ?? Can you attach a drawing of your network connections. All ethernet connections should go to a router or switch port, except for the wifi adapter.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

spam firewall