Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Program Overlays Gone Too Far

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: What kinds of program overlays are OK? (214 member(s) have cast votes)

What kinds of program overlays are OK?

1. None (75 votes [35.05%])

Percentage of vote: 35.05%

2. Channel logo all the time (21 votes [9.81%])

Percentage of vote: 9.81%

3. Ad all the time (2 votes [0.93%])

Percentage of vote: 0.93%

4. Brief channel logo (92 votes [42.99%])

Percentage of vote: 42.99%

5. Brief ad (5 votes [2.34%])

Percentage of vote: 2.34%

6. Factiods (19 votes [8.88%])

Percentage of vote: 8.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Are you tired of seeing station logos and advertisements overlaying your programs? You probably haven't seen this type of thing yet. It's getting worse. We can look forward to factiods that are even bigger and more obtrusive!

Take a look at these photos from the Natgeo program 2012: Countdown to Armageddon - The End Is Near. These factiods popup nearly every 15-20 seconds.

I've emailed Natgeo. If you think this has gone too far please add your voice. Email them at comments@natgeochannel.com and take the poll.

I did not finish watching the program.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2667.jpg
  • IMG_2663.jpg
  • IMG_2665.jpg
  • IMG_2668.jpg
  • IMG_2669.jpg
  • IMG_2670.jpg
  • IMG_2671.jpg
  • IMG_2672.jpg

Edited by unixguru, 13 December 2012 - 09:27 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

I emailed them.
I will not watch a program that has them. Too many other channels to watch that don't have them.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

This is not a DirecTV issue.
DTV = Digital Television

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Wait. You are complaining about pop ups that actually add data and information to an educational show? Did I get that right?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#5 OFFLINE   slickshoes

slickshoes

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Wait. You are complaining about pop ups that actually add data and information to an educational show? Did I get that right?

Yeah that's basically complaining about Pawn Stars doing the same thing. I see no issue here...

#6 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts

I've seen those factoids actually block what ever item was the subject matter. I've also seen network pop-ups block a "key" item in a crime show leaving me wondering what it is the characters were looking at.
These additional screen intrusions need to stop.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#7 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Yes , he might be forced to learn something about the show by reading .

Complain about something else, I've never witnessed this except on pawn stars and I welcome it.

They aren't in movies and its not all over the place like its implied here.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#8 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

I like the approach that Discovery has taken with "Moonshiners". There are no factoid overlays in the original showing, but there are in the reruns some of the time. The ones with the factoids are marked as "Outlaw Edition" or something like that.

#9 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

This is not a DirecTV issue.

Not directly. Never said it was.

The more of this people see the more likely they will cancel DTV (or cable or ...).

The trend is moving away from broadcast providers. This just speeds it up.

#10 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

:lol: Yeh, I watch that kind of show for education :grin: If natgeo was all about education they wouldn't have any show like that one.

#11 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Yes , he might be forced to learn something about the show by reading .

Complain about something else, I've never witnessed this except on pawn stars and I welcome it.

Pawn stars... learned something :confused:

For the few (I'm predicting) that like this kind of thing... the program providers and delivery companies should get together and implement the tools to make this OPTIONAL. Just like closed-captioning.

And while they are at it... make the ads OPTIONAL too. Fat chance.

Their days are numbered and it can't come soon enough. It won't be long until consumers will be able to get anything over the internet and will have the choice of free with ads and ad-free for a tiny payment.

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

:lol: Yeh, I watch that kind of show for education :grin: If natgeo was all about education they wouldn't have any show like that one.

Nice. Take a strict interpretation of education. You are complaining that a show giving you information is giving you information and will get all the folks who think you are talking about an ad for another show rather than actually adding something to the show you are watching like a footnote.

Pick your battle.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#13 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

Pawn stars... learned something :confused:

For the few (I'm predicting) that like this kind of thing... the program providers and delivery companies should get together and implement the tools to make this OPTIONAL. Just like closed-captioning.

And while they are at it... make the ads OPTIONAL too. Fat chance.

Their days are numbered and it can't come soon enough. It won't be long until consumers will be able to get anything over the internet and will have the choice of free with ads and ad-free for a tiny payment.

Your last paragraph proves you are living in a fantasy world. The Internet without ads. Hahahahaha.

And you aren't showing an ad here.

#14 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

If they really want to integrate additional facts about a subject they should designate an area dedicated to showing that information such as a crawl at the bottom, like on sports and news channels. There they would not distract the viewer from the picture and narration. The mind is a wonderful thing, but there is a point that there is just to much information to properly process.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#15 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hate it. I often change the channel if I'm just surfing because of it. I am OK with the a semi-transparent channel logo that comes and goes on channels with commercials, I want nothing on premium channels.

#16 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

Your last paragraph proves you are living in a fantasy world. The Internet without ads. Hahahahaha.

If you read it carefully you would notice that I said free with ads, not free without ads.

I have no problem with ads for stuff that is free - internet or otherwise.

Remember when TV was completely free? You paid once for your own infrastructure - antenna, cables, TV. 15 minutes of ads every hour paid for the programming.

Then we get more channels/choices but have to have infrastructure provided to us by someone else. Of course we have to pay for that. But we pay for more than just the infrastructure - money passes through the sat or cable company to the programming provider.

Now that isn't enough. They can't go to 20 minutes of ads, or more, because people simply wouldn't watch at all. So they put an ad on the screen all the time to make even more money.

Ever notice how most of the ads are for the channels own programs? Not making any money on that. Why is it that they aren't selling ad space to companies willing to pay?

People are over-saturated with ads. For the most part they ignore them. Be it a mute button or FF.

They need to face the facts. Ads aren't working any more. They've gone over the line from irritating to excessive.

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

I'm fine with ones like these. What annoy me is when I was watching something and Tim Allen kept popping up on the bottom of my screen, with movement, advertising for his show. I've also seen it on History etc. If it's extra info about something discussed on screen, I'm OK with it.

#18 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Nice. Take a strict interpretation of education. You are complaining that a show giving you information is giving you information and will get all the folks who think you are talking about an ad for another show rather than actually adding something to the show you are watching like a footnote.

I'm generally talking about intrusion into the program. Logos, ads, factoids. With each one it becomes increasingly irritating.

This was a nip-it-in-the-bud post.

#19 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

If they really want to integrate additional facts about a subject they should designate an area dedicated to showing that information such as a crawl at the bottom, like on sports and news channels. There they would not distract the viewer from the picture and narration. The mind is a wonderful thing, but there is a point that there is just to much information to properly process.

That was certainly my reaction. VERY distracting. Much of it was very very thinly connected to the program material. Every 15-20 seconds would cause a headache even if I was interested in what it had to say.

How about "A decapitated ****roach can live several weeks without its head." Lots to do with ancient Myans and a game where the losers get decapitated.

#20 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

While my preference is "none" it really depends a lot on the nature.

Stuff that was thoughtfully integrated by the production staff of the program is usually done in a less invasive manner that does not obstruct the viewer from seeing some critical part of the program.

Other stuff that is tacked on by the broadcast channel or the content provider are usually done indiscriminately and frequently block things that need to be seen to get the full value of the program.

Channel bugs just tick me off, as well as upcoming programming promos slapped in the bottom corner of the screen.

But the thing I really hate is when they decide to plaster tweets from the viewers on top of the programming. I hate that so much but I am seeing more of it all the time.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

Protected By... spam firewall...And...