Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Program Overlays Gone Too Far

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: What kinds of program overlays are OK? (214 member(s) have cast votes)

What kinds of program overlays are OK?

1. None (75 votes [35.05%])

Percentage of vote: 35.05%

2. Channel logo all the time (21 votes [9.81%])

Percentage of vote: 9.81%

3. Ad all the time (2 votes [0.93%])

Percentage of vote: 0.93%

4. Brief channel logo (92 votes [42.99%])

Percentage of vote: 42.99%

5. Brief ad (5 votes [2.34%])

Percentage of vote: 2.34%

6. Factiods (19 votes [8.88%])

Percentage of vote: 8.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Consider this... if this direction continues we will have advertisements on our phones while we are in a conversation with somebody.

Why stop there? The power company will figure out how to have ads on light bulbs and fragrance ads from the furnace or air conditioner.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Stuff that was thoughtfully integrated by the production staff of the program is usually done in a less invasive manner that does not obstruct the viewer from seeing some critical part of the program.

Agree with that although I'd still like a preference setting to not see it.

In this case the association was extremely weak and the shear frequency/volume (every 15-20 seconds!!) was far from thoughtful.

#23 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

I'm generally talking about intrusion into the program. Logos, ads, factoids. With each one it becomes increasingly irritating.

This was a nip-it-in-the-bud post.

Not an intrusion if it applies to the program.

You don't like multi media presentations, evidentially.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#24 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

I prefer that television programming not look like a web site.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#25 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,613 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

I prefer that television programming not look like a web site.

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#26 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Not directly. Never said it was.

The more of this people see the more likely they will cancel DTV (or cable or ...).

The trend is moving away from broadcast providers. This just speeds it up.

...what? This has absolutely nothing to do with DirecTV. They have zero control over graphic overlays used by content owners when producing their programming. Again, this has nothing to do with any service provider.

#27 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

...what? This has absolutely nothing to do with DirecTV. They have zero control over graphic overlays used by content owners when producing their programming. Again, this has nothing to do with any service provider.

You are not a moderator. If you don't like the topic of the thread, then simply ignore it.

#28 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

You are not a moderator. If you don't like the topic of the thread, then simply ignore it.

The OP is interested in seeing people cancel whatever service provider they subscribe to...over something that has nothing to do with the service providers.
DTV = Digital Television

#29 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

The OP is interested in seeing people cancel whatever service provider they subscribe to...over something that has nothing to do with the service providers.

You can always report the thread to the moderators if you have a problem with it. Otherwise, just ignore it and let those interested in the topic converse among themselves.

#30 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,061 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Please do not discuss each other and make any personal or off topic comments via PM.

Let's get back tot he topic.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Consider this... if this direction continues we will have advertisements on our phones while we are in a conversation with somebody.

Why stop there? The power company will figure out how to have ads on light bulbs and fragrance ads from the furnace or air conditioner.

Once again.....you didn't start a thread about advertisements. You started a thread about a TV show that uses factoid popups.

Talk about ads, and I will agree with you. Bitching about facts (sorry I agreed to factoids...a factoid is actually an item that is untrue but sounds true...USA Today misused the word when it started) related (even loosely) to the topic being discussed is not complaining about advertisements even though you are spinning it as such so you garner support.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#32 OFFLINE   dracozny

dracozny

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

If you read it carefully you would notice that I said free with ads, not free without ads.

I have no problem with ads for stuff that is free - internet or otherwise.

Remember when TV was completely free? You paid once for your own infrastructure - antenna, cables, TV. 15 minutes of ads every hour paid for the programming.

Then we get more channels/choices but have to have infrastructure provided to us by someone else. Of course we have to pay for that. But we pay for more than just the infrastructure - money passes through the sat or cable company to the programming provider.
unfortunately the cab/sat provider(or as you call infrastructure) is barely making money on that deal, a majority of that money goes to the broadcaster along with 100% of the ad revenue.

Now that isn't enough. They can't go to 20 minutes of ads, or more, because people simply wouldn't watch at all. So they put an ad on the screen all the time to make even more money.

Ever notice how most of the ads are for the channels own programs? Not making any money on that. Why is it that they aren't selling ad space to companies willing to pay?
most of those shows they advertise for come with premium ad pricing to advertisers
People are over-saturated with ads. For the most part they ignore them. Be it a mute button or FF.

They need to face the facts. Ads aren't working any more. They've gone over the line from irritating to excessive.
if that were true advertisement would have gone the wayside years ago. However analytics (a mere play in numbers) suggests that viewers actually do watch ads, or at least have a vague attention of such ads. How else would products be advertised? without advertisement you run into that product in a store, and are generally surprised it even exists. how many times has that happened to you? specials promotions, maybe you really do want an ipod (heavens knows why..) would you know without some sort of advertisement? I agree advertisement space has been disproportionately enlarged compared to actually content.

I really can't see the issue with factoids. sure they get placed in poor areas of the show but that is a production error not the broadcasters, or the providers fault. ads for shows on the other hand mostly comes from the broadcaster and yea the animated ones are really awful. but those shows being advertised as I mentioned above generally come with premium ad pricing, they really want you to watch during those times to make the most bang for their buck. often they use Nielsen ratings to determine the actual payout from the advertiser to the broadcaster.

#33 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Once again.....you didn't start a thread about advertisements. You started a thread about a TV show that uses factoid popups.

Please look at the thread title again. Program Overlays Gone Too Far. Not Factoids Stink.

Program Overlays:
  • logos
  • ads
  • factoids
In the order that they have evolved. Factoids the latest and worst. The poll is about all of them. Just because factoids were the last straw causing me to post about these things doesn't mean we have to limit our discussion. Most threads go way off topic - far more than you are suggesting here. Why are we discussing what we are talking about instead of the issue?

#34 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

So customer satisfaction with programming has nothing to do with the delivery service? A DTV marketing type would never think of adding yet another layer of intrusion over programming - only thing stopping them today is probably their contract to carry the channel. It's ok to do some so more has to be better.

In my OP I said I had contacted the content provider about this. It's a bigger issue. Content providers get my money through the service provider. Therefore it does involve the service provider. You are welcome to your opinion but you're not welcome to suppress mine.

#35 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

if that were true advertisement would have gone the wayside years ago. However analytics (a mere play in numbers) suggests that viewers actually do watch ads, or at least have a vague attention of such ads. How else would products be advertised? without advertisement you run into that product in a store, and are generally surprised it even exists. how many times has that happened to you? specials promotions, maybe you really do want an ipod (heavens knows why..) would you know without some sort of advertisement? I agree advertisement space has been disproportionately enlarged compared to actually content.

I'm sure many people do watch ads with some degree of attention. Many do not. I suppose I could be wrong but I think my household is rather typical. Before the DVR I usually hit mute during ads. Mostly because they were audibly intrusive (way too loud). Hardly paid any attention to the video - only enough to know when the program was back on. With DVR we first used FF; now we SKIP. In fact, I hit SKIP 3-4 times in rapid succession and then hit SKIP every time it stops and it's still an ad. Used to be a pain to do but now I'm "adapted" to it - remote usually in hand or nearby.

Rarely do I see an ad that interests me or my wife. Usually it's for something that is new and would be available at the grocer. Almost always the product is not available in the store - for months. Maybe it shows up 6-12 months later but by then we've forgotten about it. (Major metro area - Minneapolis)

So no, TV ads don't work in my house. They are too damn loud and repetitive (the same ad 4 times in a one hour program is nothing but irritating). Of the ones we do see (including fragments) the general reaction is to NOT purchase the product, partly due to the ads.

It's like machine gun fire hoping to hit "something".

If they take away my ability to SKIP/FF over ads then we're done with TV. Seriously. It's that bad. I can't imagine any content worth the level of torture that ads are becoming.

We are middle-aged average household. Wife has iPad. We see a lot of ads on the web. We do product searches on the web - based on our NEED. Instead of just having it shoved in our face we look at details, compare, feedback from other consumers, etc. My wife likes Pinterest and others. It's on our time with our interest. Not when we are relaxing and paying for entertainment.

So of course the question becomes how can content providers exist without ad revenue. Very simple actually. Make a product that people are willing to pay for. It's the same as music transition - from entire CD even if you only wanted one song to just the one song (and a reasonable price for it). Reasonable price and convenient delivery. (Typical TV show has to be <$1/hr.) It's like pay-as-you-go phone service. You pay for exactly what you use and for many people they will save money.

#36 OFFLINE   dracozny

dracozny

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

netflix or hulu or similar net service would be ideal for you then, downside. lack of content on the tv show side of things since they are usually a couple seasons behind everyone else. but then the rest of the world has already bought the shows on dvd and such further subsidizing the costs of the show your watching on netflix.

#37 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Please look at the thread title again. Program Overlays Gone Too Far. Not Factoids Stink.

Program Overlays:

[*]logos
[*]ads
[*]factoids

In the order that they have evolved. Factoids the latest and worst. The poll is about all of them. Just because factoids were the last straw causing me to post about these things doesn't mean we have to limit our discussion. Most threads go way off topic - far more than you are suggesting here. Why are we discussing what we are talking about instead of the issue?

Factoids are far from new. A big hit show on vh1 years ago had popup factoids about songs and the artists.

The same have been around for decades on sporting events when they popup how many yards the running back has.

Your rant was about information on an informational show. The difference between that and ads for other shows is huge. That is why we are talking about it.

#38 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

http://www.merriam-w...tionary/factoid:

2. a briefly stated and usually trivial fact

http://www.merriam-w...tionary/trivial:

2. of little worth or importance

Agree that my valuation of these informational popups is not shared by all (but most of the poll takers here).

If they have sufficient value to someone then they should be provided like closed-captioning or optional features on a Blu-Ray: consumer decides if they want it.

#39 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Factoids are far from new. A big hit show on vh1 years ago had popup factoids about songs and the artists.

The main focus of vh1 is music. The video has little value. SonicTap channels are all information video. Little difference. Fine with me.

The same have been around for decades on sporting events when they popup how many yards the running back has.

For the most part those are highly relevant and non-obtrusive. They don't bang away on my head every 15 seconds keyed off a word the announcer just said.

Imagine the uproar if they were as frequent, obtrusive, and irrelevant as the ones I saw. Instead of a rant there would be riots.

Your rant was about information on an informational show. The difference between that and ads for other shows is huge. That is why we are talking about it.

In your opinion; a minority one at that. To most of us it's garbage.

#40 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

I do not mind SOME graphic overlays... but the networks need to be careful when they use them. The worst example of timing was earlier this year when ABC Family had one pop up during a scene of "Switched At Birth" where two of the characters were speaking in sign language, and the pop up covered up most of the subtitles. :rolleyes:

I do not mind logos the majority of time, unless they are obtrusive, or contains a bunch of unnecessary information around them...

... or when there are two logos on at the same time:

Posted Image

spam firewall