Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Program Overlays Gone Too Far

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: What kinds of program overlays are OK? (214 member(s) have cast votes)

What kinds of program overlays are OK?

1. None (75 votes [35.05%])

Percentage of vote: 35.05%

2. Channel logo all the time (21 votes [9.81%])

Percentage of vote: 9.81%

3. Ad all the time (2 votes [0.93%])

Percentage of vote: 0.93%

4. Brief channel logo (92 votes [42.99%])

Percentage of vote: 42.99%

5. Brief ad (5 votes [2.34%])

Percentage of vote: 2.34%

6. Factiods (19 votes [8.88%])

Percentage of vote: 8.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 696 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

I can not stand the channel logos that stay on the whole show. Now they have to also put info on what shows are coming up next. Now some shows a putting #wxyz next to the channel logo or on the opposite side the screen.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

This is not a DirecTV issue.

No one mentioned Directv until you brought it up.

#63 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

No one mentioned Directv until you brought it up.

Hint: This thread was created in the DirecTV Programming section of the forum. This is NOT a DirecTV issue or topic. It has nothing to do with DirecTV...yet here it is.
DTV = Digital Television

#64 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,856 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hint: This thread was created in the DirecTV Programming section of the forum. This is NOT a DirecTV issue or topic. It has nothing to do with DirecTV...yet here it is.

Geez get over it already we know this is directv forum, everybody has a right to vent including you but no one brought it up other than you did just sayin LOL

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#65 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Geez get over it already we know this is directv forum, everybody has a right to vent including you but no one brought it up other than you did just sayin LOL

This has nothing to do with DirecTV...yet it was posted in the DirecTV Programming section and the OP is contriving some excuse for blaming service providers.
DTV = Digital Television

#66 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Hope someday someone will come out with a bug/watermark removal unit that can give you the option to stop this madness. Like I said before " I hope the person who came up with the idea of bugs/watermarks just die!"

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#67 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Hope someday someone will come out with a bug/watermark removal unit that can give you the option to stop this madness. Like I said before " I hope the person who came up with the idea of bugs/watermarks just die!"

You hope they die? Did you really just say that?
DTV = Digital Television

#68 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

Hope someday someone will come out with a bug/watermark removal unit that can give you the option to stop this madness.

I just block the channels that use that, and wont watch them. No sense trying to relax watching TV just to get angry. Nothing on TV is worth getting angry over trying to watch.

Channel logo bugs dont usually bother me, unless its like Destination HD, which places its non-translucent bug on the top left, blocking the actually programming. What annoys me to the point of blocking channels, are the ones which have animated lower 1/3rd ads for upcoming programs. Ill switch off the channel immediately.

Edited by Davenlr, 16 December 2012 - 02:51 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#69 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

This has nothing to do with DirecTV...yet it was posted in the DirecTV Programming section and the OP is contriving some excuse for blaming service providers.

Lets see. Cable companies have had subscribers declining for awhile. In 2nd quarter DTV had it's first subscriber decline. Sure, people are leaving for lots of reasons and this kind of thing is only a part of it.

Subscribers declining spells less programming at higher cost for all subscribers. With programming quality going down and prices going up it will only accelerate the decline.

So if you want to make this irrelevant to DTV then I guess nothing can stop it's demise.

Personally I don't give a damn who/what/when/where. I pay for entertainment coming into my home. I could care less about blame games. If people are unhappy with what they are getting then the entire ecosystem better wake up. I can't believe that DTV is too stupid to understand that.

#70 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Lets see. Cable companies have had subscribers declining for awhile. In 2nd quarter DTV had it's first subscriber decline. Sure, people are leaving for lots of reasons and this kind of thing is only a part of it.

Subscribers declining spells less programming at higher cost for all subscribers. With programming quality going down and prices going up it will only accelerate the decline.

So if you want to make this irrelevant to DTV then I guess nothing can stop it's demise.

Personally I don't give a damn who/what/when/where. I pay for entertainment coming into my home. I could care less about blame games. If people are unhappy with what they are getting then the entire ecosystem better wake up. I can't believe that DTV is too stupid to understand that.

Once again you blame a service provider for something they do not control. They only provide a delivery system for the content. Your issue is with the actual content and those who produce it. Despite the dramatics and hyperbole, you are not even close to pinning this on the responsible party.
DTV = Digital Television

#71 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Once again you blame a service provider for something they do not control. They only provide a delivery system for the content. Your issue is with the actual content and those who produce it. Despite the dramatics and hyperbole, you are not even close to pinning this on the responsible party.

So in this case DTV does not pay anything to carry Natgeo?

They collect money from me, skim off the top, and pay Natgeo. The skim is thin I agree. But DTV is still making money off me having the content.

In reality this is how their entire business works. They pay a portion of their revenues to content providers to generate interest in consumers using their service for access to said content. Along the way they charge consumers for the infrastructure and operating costs and profit.

In reverse, if consumers don't like the content (or value), including increasing levels of this kind of irritation, they are less likely to buy the service.

As a consumer I really can't hurt the content provider where it counts. I do not have the option to tell DTV to remove one channel from my service and not pay for it. I'd have to drop to the bottom service level for any impact. Natgeo, or any other channel, can get far worse and still keep taking my money even though I might never watch it.

I never said DTV was directly responsible. But they are part of the chain and they make money off it. Their bundling business model makes them complicit.

You're welcome to your opinion that DTV is completely devoid of involvement. I just don't agree with you.

#72 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

So in this case DTV does not pay anything to carry Natgeo?

They collect money from me, skim off the top, and pay Natgeo. The skim is thin I agree. But DTV is still making money off me having the content.

In reality this is how their entire business works. They pay a portion of their revenues to content providers to generate interest in consumers using their service for access to said content. Along the way they charge consumers for the infrastructure and operating costs and profit.

In reverse, if consumers don't like the content (or value), including increasing levels of this kind of irritation, they are less likely to buy the service.

As a consumer I really can't hurt the content provider where it counts. I do not have the option to tell DTV to remove one channel from my service and not pay for it. I'd have to drop to the bottom service level for any impact. Natgeo, or any other channel, can get far worse and still keep taking my money even though I might never watch it.

I never said DTV was directly responsible. But they are part of the chain and they make money off it. Their bundling business model makes them complicit.

You're welcome to your opinion that DTV is completely devoid of involvement. I just don't agree with you.

Yet you are still a customer.
DTV = Digital Television

#73 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

Yet you are still a customer.

You seem to have a great interest in DTVs point of view (not just in this thread). What is your vested interest?

This is really old - as in obsolete - school thinking. Maneuver into essentially a monopoly status and companies think they can do just about anything. Must be the ideal "business" mans dream. Take it or leave it. Only other option is 1 cable provider that colludes - and does nothing different relative to the subject of this thread.

The day is coming when internet delivery will be viable for me and I will be gone - forever. Lots of other people are already gone. There will be more. So enjoy the monopoly while it lasts. The end can't come soon enough.

BTW, you said nothing to dispute my analysis.

#74 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

You seem to have a great interest in DTVs point of view (not just in this thread). What is your vested interest?

This is really old - as in obsolete - school thinking. Maneuver into essentially a monopoly status and companies think they can do just about anything. Must be the ideal "business" mans dream. Take it or leave it. Only other option is 1 cable provider that colludes - and does nothing different relative to the subject of this thread.

The day is coming when internet delivery will be viable for me and I will be gone - forever. Lots of other people are already gone. There will be more. So enjoy the monopoly while it lasts. The end can't come soon enough.

BTW, you said nothing to dispute my analysis.

You sound like an anarchist with all this hyperbole. It's only TV. If you were that unhappy, you would have left. Railing against "the man" while you continue to be among 20+ million subs. Of course, that makes sense because you have also chosen to blame DirecTV for something they have no control over.

I don't really care if you agree with me or not. It doesn't change the fact that your arguments are ridiculous and misplaced. It doesn't change the fact that you are wrong. I might as well be arguing with someone who claims the moon landing was faked.
DTV = Digital Television

#75 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 530 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

If you don't have something useful to post, don't post. Done.

Usefulness, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

And, oh yeah, bite me.

#76 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Sheeple

#77 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Sheeple

Why? Because we choose to blame who is actually at fault? I understand that you are on some personal mission against overzelous graphic, it is misguided to waste your time attacking the wrong people.
DTV = Digital Television

#78 OFFLINE   Justin85

Justin85

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

I'm pretty sure the USA logo is permanently burned into an older plasma in my house, thanks to my wife basically watching that channel 24/7.

I am against constant channel logos.

#79 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

We have a local channel in Milwaukee (WISN-TV; ABC affiliate) that wants to make ABSOLUTELY SURE you know what channel you are watching AT ALL TIMES. During ABC network programming, they cleverly add WISN-TV to the ABC logo in the lower right portion of the screen. In addition, a large ad for a different ABC show appears in the lower left portion of the screen during the entire show. This is going too far!!

Luckily, none of the other local stations have gone this far (yet).

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#80 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,971 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Ire might better be directed to those content providers who are crossing your boundaries- you being anyone who's upset over this. I don't like any of them, but am o.k. with some.

So, write your History channel, your ABC's, ESPNs, whatever. Tell them you're not watching their programming because of it. If you really want more leverage, write the companies who advertise on those shows.

It's simply not a DIRECTV topic.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...