Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Program Overlays Gone Too Far

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: What kinds of program overlays are OK? (214 member(s) have cast votes)

What kinds of program overlays are OK?

1. None (75 votes [35.05%])

Percentage of vote: 35.05%

2. Channel logo all the time (21 votes [9.81%])

Percentage of vote: 9.81%

3. Ad all the time (2 votes [0.93%])

Percentage of vote: 0.93%

4. Brief channel logo (92 votes [42.99%])

Percentage of vote: 42.99%

5. Brief ad (5 votes [2.34%])

Percentage of vote: 2.34%

6. Factiods (19 votes [8.88%])

Percentage of vote: 8.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Are you tired of seeing station logos and advertisements overlaying your programs?

Yes its a major pain!!!!!

I dont watch many things anymore due to this bs!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 354 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

I find it a pain with excessive and large ads, Sci Fi (syfy) is bad, TNT really bad, and I was also very annoyed with the example in the OP, too much.
I know it is from the channel itself, not Directv or Dish.

FFIW I voted for Brief/occasional channel logo. However, I am totally against the logos on premium channels.

#83 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

And why cant they put the bug in the corner of the picture. NOOO they have to put it slightly left/ and up from the corner.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#84 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

And why cant they put the bug in the corner of the picture. NOOO they have to put it slightly left/ and up from the corner.

Probably has to do with standard def. One way to view HD programs on standard def is to clip the 16:9 to 4:3 before rescaling the resolution. That throws away the far left/right sides. Old analog TVs typically overscan which throws part of the top/bottom off the screen.

These channels don't want to produce separate streams so they do everything in HD with anticipation that it will get altered somewhere downstream for SD.

Some channels put the ads in the upper right and they are the same way - shifted left and down.

#85 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Not directly. Never said it was.

I think he was probably referring to the fact that this forum is DirecTV Programming, and that this topic probably would have been better placed in the TV Show Talk forum, which is more general and not specifically related to DirecTV or Dish.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#86 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

I made that point a long time ago.

This is not a DirecTV issue.

DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...