Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ANOTHER update for 722 dvr..L728

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

So many updates in the past few months. No explanation of what and why there have been updates. I haven't seen anything change in the updates.

Edited by sliderbob, 20 December 2012 - 07:44 AM.
Software update..AGAIN

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

So many updates in the past few months. No explanation of what and why there have been updates. I haven't seen anything change in the updates.

"So that's what is was!!" After the install it still said 727 on mine, so I posted here asking what might have happened. It now says 728. Well to say the least this update just might give my 722 wings. Cuz it may just be flying out a window here soon. Not sure what it was suppose to fix, but it sure broke some stuff. I'm having all kinds of problems on top of the problems I'm already having. I may cut cord and just strangle myself with it.

Update:
Well been trying to watch today's catch and it's all FUBAR'd. So switching to BD and DLNA. Will see what all is broken tomorrow. I mean when the sun is up, have more patience and am less apt to throw it out the window. It ain't gonna be flying on its own with all these problems.

Edited by FarmerBob, 14 December 2012 - 02:39 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

I know where you are coming from. With the K model we went about 7 months between updates and now it seems we are getting one every 3 to 4 weeks without ever knowing what they did. I asked once and one of the pundits provided me a broken link where to look, after that I just dropped it.

#4 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

Observations so far:
1. Up to 2 minutes of black screen after starting a recorded program. The box will not respond to any commands until a picture appears. The only way out if there is no picture is to soft restart the box.
1a. The "Acquiring Signal" pop up after starting stays on the screen until you change the channel.
2. Had Six (6) incidents of a single timers all running at once. All marked the same tuner, #2 for the same program.
3. Several programs show that they have been fully recorded, but when I try to play them there is nothing there. The DVR Event window shows that the entire event was recorded, but no time left. When selecting start it goes to black and back to the DVR Event screen.
4. Lots of hesitation when navigating.
5. I think it ate my EHD. It will no longer respond to the DVR. I will have to see if it responds to a standard computer hookup. Then I'll run a diag on it.

More as I find them.

#5 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

Did you do the prefunctory power cord reboot?
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#6 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

If to me . . . Right after the unit came back up from the "update" and 3 times after when it locked up and that was the only way to get it back. For years I have been doing the PTP Power Cycle after an "update".

#7 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

I used to do this with each update, however, the past two I have not and my K has been fine with it. With that said, my K, which I have had running for 2 years now has been the most rock solid unit I have had among Dish DVRs.

The best was a 322 when I first came to dish, that thing never needed to reboot or locked up!

#8 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

I've waited to move to a K, just from some rumors I have heard and in waiting they've come out with the Hopper, so . . . I installed a K for a neighbor and for the most part it's been OK. They get the CID display in gibberish though.

But this last Non-K of mine has been one of the more solid machines, after the first 2, they failed right off, I've had. This was before the K was available. I have had sporadic issues with it and just seems that it's slowly dying. Now with this latest update it seems that was the straw. It seems that it's all the luck of the draw.

#9 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

I went thru 2 722 models, the first one the hard drive failed within a couple of months and the second was hit by a lightening surge when a neighbors tree got struck. Happily the K replacement has been humming along without an issue for the most part for nearly 2 years. I really have no need for the Hopper system, the K provides a small bedroom set and my living room set all the viewing needs for me.

#10 OFFLINE   SF49ers

SF49ers

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

I got another firmware update last night L729

And still don't see anything new

What's with all this new firmwares in the last 2 months?

#11 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

L729 here too. Thanks for making me check, so I don't mistakenly blame the wrong FW for new problems. Just kinda kidding. Gotta go do the PTPPC.

Well let's look and see what was fixed and what was broken. See ya soon.

. . . fb

#12 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

I just received the update this morning too. WTH is changing? I wish they'd add something like Hulu, or something simple like having a caps keys on the virtual keyboard.

#13 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

One thing I have noticed is that the optical audio out pops every time I pause, play and change channels. Also the gain is lower, a lot lower. I have to turn up my sound system a lot more than I use to. I can remember being able to get it to be too loud very easily. Now cranked all the way up it's no where near what it used to be. This is something that is new since the last batch of updates. I'm thinking it was about L727. All my other optically connected devices are working as they always have and I have no problems breaking windows.

#14 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

One thing I have noticed is that the optical audio out pops every time I pause, play and change channels. Also the gain is lower, a lot lower. I have to turn up my sound system a lot more than I use to. I can remember being able to get it to be too loud very easily. Now cranked all the way up it's no where near what it used to be. This is something that is new since the last batch of updates. I'm thinking it was about L727. All my other optically connected devices are working as they always have and I have no problems breaking windows.

I have L 729 and my optical sound seems much louder. That's why I checked. Maybe have to unplug and do a hard reboot.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Cold reboot (removing power for 30 sec or so) always advised to execute when you have FW/SW updates.

#16 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

I have L 729 and my optical sound seems much louder. That's why I checked. Maybe have to unplug and do a hard reboot.

I always Power Cycle, being a long time third party router FW user, the box after I realize that a new SW/FW updated has been applied. And have many times due to several freezes since the L729 update. Still the audio is popping when you change channels, pause or play through TOS. The analog feed (RCA) doesn't.

But what else I have noticed that since the Calm Act went into effect audio levels on all channels is all over the place. Basically worse overall than before. So whether it's the FW or the networks, who knows these days. I have kinda sorted it out to the fact that a lot of programming is not 5.1, but just stereo and that makes a big difference especially when the commercials are 5.1 (louder) and the program (The Daily Show) 2.0 (softer) makes a big difference on how this works. Thus this not an issue with analog (RCA).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...