Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad Issue

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,109 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

The nomad was working prior to having this problem. No network changes have been made and the only thing I think has changed is that I upgraded my MacBook Air to Mountain Lion. I use a Linksys router, not one supplied by Comcast >> Netgear wireless router>devices. I can ping everything on my network and disabling the firewalls do make a difference. I have 3 solid blue lights on the nomad.

What message do you get, at what point?

Upgrading an OS is very likely the cause of files not being accessed by the nomad app- or the wrong files being accessed.

IAE, I believe that it'd be worthwhile to again delete those files referenced earlier. Make sure they're in the Trash, and then empty it.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Thanks Laxguy. I have deleted all of the files you mentioned and anything associated with Nomad I can find hidden on my system. I have emptied the trash, rebooted and re-downloaded the file from D* at least 5 times. What happens is, I launch Nomad, is goes to finding Nomad and then I get an Ad Nomad screen and enter the serial number (yes, I have entered it correctly). After that, I get the Find/502 error - Cannot find Nomad.

#28 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

I know you said you turned off all firewalls, but I would try configuring the OSX firewall to allow the Nomad to communicate through it. This can be done on the 'Firewall' pane of Security & Privacy preferences.

At the Apple support site: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11121

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#29 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hi Diana, thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and still no luck.

#30 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

I am still having problems staying connected with Nomad. It connects for 10 or 20 minutes or maybe an hour and then goes back to a White Light on the Status Indicator.

So just for Grins and Giggles I Turned Off my Firewall and Rebooted Nomad and now it is working perfectly again.

I will see for how long and once I finish my Downloads I will reset my Firewall back to ON!!!

Go Figure.

I even specified the Ports to be open for Nomad but I still lose connection at some point and have to Reboot.

Frustrating. :nono2:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#31 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,440 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

I am still having problems staying connected with Nomad. It connects for 10 or 20 minutes or maybe an hour and then goes back to a White Light on the Status Indicator.

So just for Grins and Giggles I Turned Off my Firewall and Rebooted Nomad and now it is working perfectly again.

I will see for how long and once I finish my Downloads I will reset my Firewall back to ON!!!

Go Figure.

I even specified the Ports to be open for Nomad but I still lose connection at some point and have to Reboot.

Frustrating. :nono2:

Even more bizzarre....nomad transcodes perfectly fine here for a long time with the Windows Firewall turned on all the time. Like you said...go figure.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#32 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Well, I kept digging and finally figured out what my problem is. I use VirusBarrier X6 as my firewall and antivirus software. When initially having issues, I was able to ping my Nomad. I had to go out of town and blocked some addresses as they were port scanning. Apparently, one of the IP addresses I blocked was identical to my Nomad address. I unblocked the address and now I am working perfectly. Thanks to all who provided advise and kept me thinking!

#33 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,440 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Well, I kept digging and finally figured out what my problem is. I use VirusBarrier X6 as my firewall and antivirus software. When initially having issues, I was able to ping my Nomad. I had to go out of town and blocked some addresses as they were port scanning. Apparently, one of the IP addresses I blocked was identical to my Nomad address. I unblocked the address and now I am working perfectly. Thanks to all who provided advise and kept me thinking!

That makes some sense. Nomad does use 2 ports to communicate with the authentication servers, and preventing that from happening (via firewall or other method) would be an issue.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#34 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

That makes some sense. Nomad does use 2 ports to communicate with the authentication servers, and preventing that from happening (via firewall or other method) would be an issue.

Yep, perfect sense - and yet still a DUH moment for me! I did let the case manager know so they can actually have someone check that in the future.

#35 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Also, I learned that you can tell Windows Firewall to Allow a Program to communicate thru the Firewall which is better than Port Forwarding which leaves the Ports open whether or not Nomad is using them.

By Allowing Nomad to Communicate thru the Firewall by telling Windows Firewall that it is okay only Allows those needed Ports to be Opened when Needed and Closed when Not Needed!!! :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#36 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,109 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Great you're truckin' now.

But, antivirus on an up-to-date Mac? Who knew! I may be just lucky, but in 25 years of Macintoshes, I've never run AV software nor been infected... and, dang, I hope I don't regret writing that..... the virus-karma Gods may get angry!

Thanks for posting your solution.

#37 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

But, antivirus on an up-to-date Mac? Who knew! I may be just lucky, but in 25 years of Macintoshes, I've never run AV software nor been infected... and, dang, I hope I don't regret writing that..... the virus-karma Gods may get angry!

Well, since I use this Mac for work, we mandate virus software to provide customer protections as I am a consultant. I have been quite happy with the VirusBarrier x6 software. I have actually been on client sites where I have to block incoming traffic from spying eyes!

#38 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

connect and read to the Homeland Security CERT notifications and you just might be in for a suprise

#39 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,109 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

connect and read to the Homeland Security CERT notifications and you just might be in for a suprise

No thanks. If it's a real surprise, I can wait. Or you could outline it for us lazy folks. Please.

#40 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

No thanks. If it's a real surprise, I can wait. Or you could outline it for us lazy folks. Please.

I could post the last 5 years of CERT notifications for security issues with the Apple OS, but I think the mods would get upset with the number of posts it would require - the only secure OS is one that is installed on a piece of equipment that has no outside connect except for a keybaord and a mouse and is under full video recording 24x7x365. Amazing how these so called secure OS's have holes that the companies never say anything about - Linux, MAC are the two that aer bandied about the most, oh and lets not forget Android.

#41 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,109 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I could post the last 5 years of CERT notifications for security issues with the Apple OS, but I think the mods would get upset with the number of posts it would require - the only secure OS is one that is installed on a piece of equipment that has no outside connect except for a keybaord and a mouse and is under full video recording 24x7x365. Amazing how these so called secure OS's have holes that the companies never say anything about - Linux, MAC are the two that aer bandied about the most, oh and lets not forget Android.

Don't want no stinkin' notifications posted :) ; just a practical explanation of what damage this has done to average users of Macs. (MAC is something(s) else.)
I am not maintaining that I am invulnerable to a successful attack today or tomorrow, just that it's a miniscule risk. I am not that interesting to anyone with the power to hack me or attack me.

#42 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

Don't want no stinkin' notifications posted :) ; just a practical explanation of what damage this has done to average users of Macs. (MAC is something(s) else.)
I am not maintaining that I am invulnerable to a successful attack today or tomorrow, just that it's a miniscule risk. I am not that interesting to anyone with the power to hack me or attack me.

the CERT notifications are information about security issues in computer software that can be utilized to hijack, destroy systems, or steal data. The notifcations of security holes in Apple's software that can allow theft of data are more numerous then most apple supporters like to believe

As far as "I am not that interesting to anyone with the power to hack me or attack me" that is way off the mark - if you have a good credit rating you are the ideal target for anyone out there that deals with ID theft, that is unless you never look up your checking account, mortgages, credit card bills or purchase anything that requires you to enter your personal information or credit card numbers.

This is off topic but even Apple needs Anti-Virus software, if it did not the major players in that inductry would not spend the time nor the resources required to write, test and maintian the product.

Good luck

Protected By... spam firewall...And...