Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Extra Pack solicitation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

So I get a call yesterday thanking me for being a loyal DirecTV subscriber (yeah, for 47 days now) and was offered a free three-month trial of the HD Extra Pack, with $4.99 to kick in come March.

I had been thinking about trying that out anyway, as a few days ago when I was looking at my account information online there was a button to try it for three months.

I agreed to let him turn it on, and the nine additional channels were there when I got home last evening.

I looked at "My Programming" today, and it still offers the button to turn it on. In other words, it doesn't seem to reflect that I already have it.

Hopefully it just hasn't shown up yet in there, and all will be well.

It seemed odd to get a solicitation call for such a small item. No pitch to upgrade my package or hardware, optional services, etc.; just the HDEPack offer.

I figure it must not be a scam because I wasn't asked for any "privileged" information like a credit card or account number, which they obviously already know, and the channels are working.

Is this common? Do they routinely call customers to pitch little add-ons like this? Are they still gonna screw it up?:confused:
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,700 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

I have gotten that call before.
The channels work.
If you do not want to continue when the 3 months ends you must call and tell them to cancel it or you will immediately start paying for them.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,779 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

So I get a call yesterday thanking me for being a loyal DirecTV subscriber (yeah, for 47 days now) and was offered a free three-month trial of the HD Extra Pack, with $4.99 to kick in come March.

I had been thinking about trying that out anyway, as a few days ago when I was looking at my account information online there was a button to try it for three months.

I agreed to let him turn it on, and the nine additional channels were there when I got home last evening.

I looked at "My Programming" today, and it still offers the button to turn it on. In other words, it doesn't seem to reflect that I already have it.

It seemed odd to get a solicitation call for such a small item. No pitch to upgrade my package or hardware, optional services, etc.; just the HDEPack offer.

I figure it must not be a scam because I wasn't asked for any "privileged" information like a credit card or account number, which they obviously already know, and the channels are working.

Is this common? Do they routinely call customers to pitch little add-ons like this? Are they still gonna screw it up?:confused:

No, it's not a scam. It's their way of drumming up more revenue. Try the HD Extra Pack. You might like it. If not you can always cancle like jimmie57 said.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

If you want to try it, you can safely add the 3-month trial online. I've been "trying" it for 5 years now.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

He can, since he has a current package. Some of us would have to call in every time, and for me that's not worth it :)

#6 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

He can, since he has a current package. Some of us would have to call in every time, and for me that's not worth it :)

Are you saying subscribers with older packages have fewer online account management options? That is, you're not given the option to add (or for that matter, remove) this particular programming item through the web site?
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

Yup....its their way of getting rid of the obsolete packages...quite truthfully they probably can't and shouldnt have to maintain 40 different packages on-line to accommodate all of them including all discontinued ones..many of us have no problem with that. If you want to modify your package on-line, you need to upgrade to a current package available via the web. Some don't like that choice that D* has made.

#8 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

you can't cancel any FREE promotional package until 30 days after it got added to your account. So, call day 32 and cancel if you don't want them...or wait til day 87 and cancel.
The thought behind this is extra revenue thinking you'll forget to cancel, and then be hit with the monthly charge.

#9 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

Well, I just got home and these channels are not working. Why am I not surprised?

Two or three of them are still "white" in the guide, but the other six or seven are gray, like a channel you don't subscribe to would normally be displayed.

#10 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

And now they're white in the guide and working properly.:rolleyes:

#11 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

It can take up to 48 hours to have the service added in the case you went through. The vendor that sells the service doesn't add the service immediately, that is done in a back office environment. In other words, the sales person doesn't have access to your account to make the change. That's different then when you call into D* and talk to an agent that has direct access to your account.

So no, not a scam. usually the service is added within 24 hours, sometimes takes up to 48. You should be fine.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

It was just strange to work, then not work, and then work again, all within 28 hours or so.

I'll have to see if the web sites thinks I have it tomorrow.

#13 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

I have 2 offers.....get HBO and free Cinemax for 3 months. Or get Starz for $5 off for 3 months. I decided to keep my HD pack after i had it for free 3 months, it's only $4.99. But i might cancel the HD pack and get the HBO/Cinemax promo, then after 3 months call DirecTV and switch to Cinemax for $12.99.

#14 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

Now it shows up properly online in my list of subscribed programming.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...