Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv Sales Rep Here

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DTVbrandon92

DTVbrandon92

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hello everyone, I am a DirecTV sales rep, I just found this page and was hoping to find other sales reps. I do mostly door to door and am starting to lose motivation with the sales being very low last month and this month. Any advice?
  • Dude111 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Not a salesman, but I'd think door to door sales would be hard, especially something like switching services.

Though when I saw a guy walking up to me with a shirt that had the brand name of the fiber Internet option, I think he was taken by surprise when I told him "I've been waiting for you to show up, where do I sign?"

#3 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

I don't think the sales reps who set up tables in Wal-Mart are bringing many sales either. Although I recently signed up for Directv and a new customer, I find it extrememly annoying someone hounding me in a store while i'm trying to do other shopping.....

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,226 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Also, and not to imply the TS does this, but I personally find many of the DIRECTV door-to-door and sales reps at the booths in the shopping centers to be ... well... eschewing the uncharitable term "lying," let's just say "among the biggest perpetrators of playing 'fast and loose' with the truth I've ever seen." :sure:

They'll say almost anything no matter how false or outlandish about what benefits the service offers to try and make a sale.

#5 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Not a salesman, but I'd think door to door sales would be hard, especially something like switching services.

Though when I saw a guy walking up to me with a shirt that had the brand name of the fiber Internet option, I think he was taken by surprise when I told him "I've been waiting for you to show up, where do I sign?"

That was me in 1983. I got a flyer stating cable tv was coming, sign up now. I did immediately. I ended up being the second person being wired up in town. The mayor was the first.

DTVbrandon92, I would think this would be a hard time to get a sale. Too many other things on peoples minds until after New Years.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#6 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

The last few times I have been in Best Buy the DirecTV sales reps have approached me. I usually don't notice their DirecTV shirts and ask them to point me to something in the weekly ad, which they have no clue about. Then they ask me about my TV service. I tell them I have DirecTV, Genie and Whole Home. They then want a high 5.

I am not sure they are providing much for DirecTV other then annoying current customers or other customers that are happy with their provider. I have seen and heard customers voice their displeasure and go out of their way to avoid them.

#7 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

The last few times I have been in Best Buy the DirecTV sales reps have approached me. I usually don't notice their DirecTV shirts and ask them to point me to something in the weekly ad, which they have no clue about. Then they ask me about my TV service. I tell them I have DirecTV, Genie and Whole Home. They then want a high 5.

I am not sure they are providing much for DirecTV other then annoying current customers or other customers that are happy with their provider. I have seen and heard customers voice their displeasure and go out of their way to avoid them.

Yes they annoy the xxxx out of me everytime I walk by one in Sams. I would really like to know the number of new subs obtained via this method.

#8 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

I go to our local Sam's club about once every three weeks or so.. there is a different Directv rep in there every time.. for one. its COMMISSION ONLY.. its the world's greatest way to get free work for NOTHING.. if a kid finally sells one, D* gets the two years, and the kid doesn't have enough money to pay his rent , much less, eat or buy gas.. the local satellite dealer does the exact same thing.. he posts an ad, I AM HIRING 8 new sales persons.. but he doesn't tell you that its straight commission.. ( real sales men prefer straight commission, is always the line.. of crap spewed to these kids).. and then you get your family to sign up and maybe a friend or two.. and then you are stuck paying for your own gas, and food and what not.. and working hours for NO PAY..
what an awful way to do business.. and they prey upon these poor kids.. Oh and I have been selling for the last 40 plus years.. I know what I am talking about..
  • mnassour likes this

#9 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

I think these sales reps deal mostly in half truths.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#10 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

I would think that with so many scammers going around, and I'm not implying that the OP is one, that very few people would actually buy from a door-to-door salesman anymore. I know I don't.

#11 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,783 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

I go to our local Sam's club about once every three weeks or so.. there is a different Directv rep in there every time.. for one. its COMMISSION ONLY.. its the world's greatest way to get free work for NOTHING.. if a kid finally sells one, D* gets the two years, and the kid doesn't have enough money to pay his rent , much less, eat or buy gas.. the local satellite dealer does the exact same thing.. he posts an ad, I AM HIRING 8 new sales persons.. but he doesn't tell you that its straight commission.. ( real sales men prefer straight commission, is always the line.. of crap spewed to these kids).. and then you get your family to sign up and maybe a friend or two.. and then you are stuck paying for your own gas, and food and what not.. and working hours for NO PAY..
what an awful way to do business.. and they prey upon these poor kids.. Oh and I have been selling for the last 40 plus years.. I know what I am talking about..

Perhaps, but keep in mind they are not forced into accepting the job nor are they making a career choice. It's called "live and learn".

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#12 OFFLINE   DTVbrandon92

DTVbrandon92

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

I WISH that would happen to me! LOL
although I have had a couples of those just not really as blunt as you put it.

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,862 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hello everyone, I am a DirecTV sales rep, I just found this page and was hoping to find other sales reps. I do mostly door to door and am starting to lose motivation with the sales being very low last month and this month. Any advice?

Make sure you really know your competition, and your product well, and then make sure you can actually explain it in terms that the people will understand and see an advantage too your product over the competitors.

And always ask for the sale. May seem like a silly thing to say, but actually ask for it out right. To many people think a more ambiguous question is acceptable. Its really not.

#14 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

i get a kick out of the DTV sales calls i get saying i should dump my current provider because DTV can give me a deal that will blow them away:lol:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#15 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

I don't think the sales reps who set up tables in Wal-Mart are bringing many sales either. Although I recently signed up for Directv and a new customer, I find it extrememly annoying someone hounding me in a store while i'm trying to do other shopping.....

I've seen DirecTV and wireless company reps in various stores but they have never ever "hounded" me to sign up for anything.

A FiOs door-to-door rep actually lied to me, making an offer that Verizon later would not commit to. Despite that fiasco I did finally sign up for FiOS at a much later date.

Bill

Edited by billsharpe, 15 December 2012 - 02:14 PM.
added FiOS comment

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#16 OFFLINE   Dahammer

Dahammer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

he local satellite dealer does the exact same thing.. he posts an ad, I AM HIRING 8 new sales persons.. but he doesn't tell you that its straight commission.. ( real sales men prefer straight commission, is always the line.. of crap spewed to these kids).. and then you get your family to sign up and maybe a friend or two.. and then you are stuck paying for your own gas, and food and what not.. and working hours for NO PAY..

That's how the scam works, same deal with vacuum cleaner distributors.

#17 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

The local telecom in my area is running fiber in there entire area, up till now most of there area only had phone service. Just a small part of there area had cable service. They are running FIBER TO THE PREMISES. (FTTB) They say they will run fiber to the house to a box on the house. Then cat 5 wire runs to the different rooms for tv and internet and phone. Im waiting for a salesman to come here for that.

FTTP Will Bring Triple Play To Cable TV Customers
TriCounty Telecom has begun plowing a pathway to the most state-of-the
art fiber network and communications services around! Fiber to the Premise
(FTTP) offers the best, most reliable and fastest Internet connection
known to man. One single strand of fiber optic
cable smaller than a human hair can transmit
an entire encyclopedia (24 volumes) in less than
a second.
FTTP will pass by every residence and business
in both the TriCounty Telecom telephone
and video service areas. Customers who are
currently in a TriCounty Telecom Cable TV only
service area will be able to purchase Voice and
Internet services from TriCounty as well. As a
part of the fiber roll out, TriCounty Telecom will
be introducing a new TV product (IPTV) that offers
many more options than your current video
package. The capacity of FTTP allows for more
HD, whole home DVR, widgets, OTT media services and more, You will be
able to bundle Voice, Video and Internet for greater savings and the convenience
of one bill.
Once an area is ready for conversion, residents and business owners in
that area will be notified. Voice, video and Internet are expected to be available
to all customers by September 2013.

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

When Cincinnati Bell did that on my street, I jumped on it, for Internet only. They removed the copper going to the street. It's been great, though the price to go from 30 to 50 Mbps is ridiculous.

#19 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Yes they annoy the xxxx out of me everytime I walk by one in Sams. I would really like to know the number of new subs obtained via this method.

WAY more than you think

I think the stats are about 20,000 a month nation wide out of those stores.

Around 30 a month just in my area.
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#20 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

I worked in the ACE department which is sales for existing customers. If you work in prospects please don't lie to get sales as I would always have to fix their lies. the door to door people and the in store people who don't even work for directv really but are outsourced are the worst. uggghhh

Protected By... spam firewall...And...