Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Downgraded replacement receiver

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kiseika

kiseika

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

So my main DVR, an HR24-100, died yesterday morning. Some hard drive error. I decided I could handle the loss of my recordings and called in. It wasn't any hassle to get a replacement sent, and it arrived this afternoon.

Unfortunately, it's an HR23-700. I have an HR23-700 in the bedroom as our backup dvr, and I absolutely hate using it. On top of that, I have whole home dvr, and I don't have an extra broadband adapter to attach to it.

Should I call them and expect to get an HR24 sent out? Will they just try to send me a broadband adapter? Anybody else have this experience?

I'm very pleased with how quickly and easily they responded to my problem, but I'm not happy with the downgrade.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Don't activate the replacement DVR.
Call and talk to someone else. You should get a 24 to replace your 24. I've had to do it three times, and received 24s each time. Automatically.

#3 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

If they won't give you an HR24, they at least should send you a DECA for free since you lost that capability in the replacement.

#4 OFFLINE   kiseika

kiseika

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

If they won't give you an HR24, they at least should send you a DECA for free since you lost that capability in the replacement.

Unfortunately, that's all they were willing to do. I guess I just cross my fingers that the replacement receiver or my old HR23 dies on me soon?

#5 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

So much for HR24s being replaced with HR24s.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#6 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Unfortunately, that's all they were willing to do. I guess I just cross my fingers that the replacement receiver or my old HR23 dies on me soon?

Email the office of the President about the issue.

There are significant issues between the pre-HR24s and the HR24 to make a case for getting an HR24. Not only the bigger HD, but the overall operation on the HR24 is much better as you have probably noticed.

I have all HR24s because when I signed up I would only accept them, but I had to go through the office of the president to get them, wouldn't have switched otherwise and wouldn't stay if one of mine ever quits and they replace is with the bum pre-HR24 models.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#7 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

You are wasting your time with Customer Service. Go directly to Customer Retention and be patient but firm.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,655 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

I think I'd go with Ellen's team before retention on this one. I'm not sure retention could really do anything.

#9 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,028 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Yea , I think most of us knew that wasn't the case.:lol:

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#10 OFFLINE   kiseika

kiseika

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

I emailed the office of the president. Told them I'll continue to be a customer as long as the service keeps improving, and I consider this a step backward. I may have also mentioned how eagerly Uverse wants my TV business (I'm already get internet through Uverse). I'll update when I hear back.

#11 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Or someone put in to replace the HR23 instead of the HR24 ;)
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

#12 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

About a year ago we were told to expect more refurbs in the field. Shortly after we started to get refurbs of HD/DVRs instead of new at about a ratio of 2:1. Although some were HR24s, a lot more were HR21-23s. The HR24s of these refurbs came with items not normally found in technician packaging: access card return envelops, refurbished remotes, and cables.

It used to be I would only get service calls after a mailed replacement receiver if the receiver wasn't the issue or a customer couldn't figure out how to hook it up. These mailed receivers were almost always the same model.

Now-a-days I get a lot more service calls after a mailed receiver than I used to. This seems to come from receivers being sent to replace a different model without the appropriate support equipment. HR22s are being sent to replace HR23s without BBCs. HR21s are being sent to replace HR24s without receiver DECAs.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#13 OFFLINE   kiseika

kiseika

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

I got a call from the customer advocate team, and an HR24 is on its way. Thanks to lparsons for the suggestion. I have to say that even though the policy of replacing receivers with whatever's at the top of the stack is no good, they have handled this better than expected.

#14 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Good for you, glad it worked out.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,655 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Did they happen to indicate if you should have gotten a 24 as the replacement from the beginning?

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

There are significant issues between the pre-HR24s and the HR24 to make a case for getting an HR24.

While there are arguably significant issues (mostly with performance), none of them are outside the "comparable features" in DIRECTV's eyes. The built-in DECA was thought to be a guarantee, but apparently it doesn't always work that way.

Not only the bigger HD, but the overall operation on the HR24 is much better as you have probably noticed.

The HR22, HR23 and HR24 (and some rare refurbished HR21s) all feature 500GB internal hard drives.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

I have to say that even though the policy of replacing receivers with whatever's at the top of the stack is no good, they have handled this better than expected.

The other option was to initiate a truck roll to install a DECA adapter and that's got spendy written all over it.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#18 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Well, I have paid a lot of money to acquire "Owned" HR24-500s (not they are better than the other HR24 DVRs) but they have Served Me Well!!!

So I was happy to pay the extra bucks to get a DVR that ACTUALLY WORKED like I wanted it to work!!!

Hey can't take it with me when I die!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#19 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

Well, I have paid a lot of money to acquire "Owned" HR24-500s (not they are better than the other HR24 DVRs) but they have Served Me Well!!!

So I was happy to pay the extra bucks to get a DVR that ACTUALLY WORKED like I wanted it to work!!!

Hey can't take it with me when I die!!! :lol:

Sure you can. When my wife's mother died we and her siblings went to the funeral home to pick out a coffin. One of the top of the line models had a safety deposit box built into the lid, enabling the deceased to literally take it with them! ;)

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#20 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

My Father was Very Cheap or Fiscally Frugal so when he died my Mother and I told the lady selling the Funeral Arrangements that we wanted the cheapest thing they had so he would be happy!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

spam firewall