Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help site

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rob1956

Rob1956

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Does anyone know of a web site that will assist you with matching up a DirecTv receiver/DVR and a proper antenna? I've looked around extensively and can't find such a tool. With so many choices of antennas I'd like to pick the DVR I want, and find what dishes are compatible with it. Anyone know of such a internet tool?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm not sure there is a need for a site.

The Slimline dish is for HD
It can be a SWiM or the older non SWiM.

All [except SWiM] are backwards compatible.

If you're just looking for SD, then the old single LNB 18" will do.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

There aren't really that many choices. If you want HiDef services, you'll need a Slimline dish. If your SD locals are beamed from 119ºW (which they're not in Chicago), you would use a Slimline 5-LNB dish, otherwise a 3-LNB Slimline is fine. And all modern DVRs/Receivers work with the Single Wire Multiswitch dish.

If you post back with more details about what you're wanting to do, we can help .... home many TVs? Do you want HiDef? Do you want Whole Home DVR sharing or the Genie DVR capabilities?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,342 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Just to make sure, you're not wanting anything on OTA connected to a receiver, correct?

#5 OFFLINE   Rob1956

Rob1956

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for your responses. I think the first two responses will help me. I want to upgrade my DTV at my summer house in MI. I'm using an old Philips 704 SD DVR with a Slimline antenna. It has 4 coax outputs. I have one going to the Philips, and a second to an upstairs basic SD DTV receiver. You look, for instance, at Amazon what they sell as far as HD DVR's and you'd expect to see "customers who bought this (DVR) also bought this (expecting to see an antenna), but that doesn't show up. Would my current antenna (I don't know the model number but hopefully the 4 outputs and the word "multiswitch" embossed in the plastic on it will help), work with, say, a
DirecTV Plus HR24 HD DVR, as an example. I'm aware of lease vs. ownership issues, so that's not a problem.

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

If your dish says "Slimline" on it and is properly aimed, it will work fine with the HR24. If you want to use both DVR tuners, you'll need two coax cables from the dish's two unused outputs to feed both tuners through a "B-Band Converter". You can get BBC modules for free from DirecTV.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   Rob1956

Rob1956

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thanks! A project for the spring...