Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Local channels on one receiver having picture and audio breakup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:41 AM

Ok let me start by saying everything has been working since I installed the swm years ago. However due to a remodeling activity I had to move a coax to the last receiver in my line.

From swm I run cable to a power passing splitter than split that again to get to the second and third receiver. The third receiver after some hooking up had communicating with sat messages last night figure I got some mud and dirt in the connector when I reran the cable so was going to clean all the connectors this morning .

However This morning receiver 2 started having the local breakup but weather channel seems just fine and was working fine last night.

I tried removing receiver 2 off last splitter and still noticed no change in the signal breakup.

Swm reading on receiver 1 and 4 (other port of swm since goes to other side of house) show channels 2,3,8 and 9 at 0

Swm reading on receiver 2 first five channels all 96 or higher 6 thru 9 zero.

Any ideas!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

We have been experiencing intermittent picture breakup on the Raleigh/Durham locals this morning. It is happening on all of the locals, but not on any of the national channels. I expect there is a problem somewhere in the path of getting the signals to DirecTV. We lost all locals for about six hours several weeks ago.

#3 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

We have been experiencing intermittent picture breakup on the Raleigh/Durham locals this morning. It is happening on all of the locals, but not on any of the national channels. I expect there is a problem somewhere in the path of getting the signals to DirecTV. We lost all locals for about six hours several weeks ago.

Ok thanx but was weird was only on the one receiver, btw went and worked out and seems fine now. Back to wiring up the last receiver and getting that goin

#4 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

When I saw your post about 9 am I switched to the locals 5/17/50. I havn't seen any breakups, are you still having the issue?
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#5 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

spidey From what I see, I would say that the problem lies in the 'power passing splitter'
that you used. Is it a 'off the shelf' splitter or a green label DTV splitter?

If it is a 'off the shelf' then you need to replace it with the DTV green label splitter.

I know it makes no since, but with the frequency's that are now being used in the DTV system, if you do not use the right equipment in the right order then you will have problems.

#6 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

spidey From what I see, I would say that the problem lies in the 'power passing splitter'
that you used. Is it a 'off the shelf' splitter or a green label DTV splitter?

If it is a 'off the shelf' then you need to replace it with the DTV green label splitter.

I know it makes no since, but with the frequency's that are now being used in the DTV system, if you do not use the right equipment in the right order then you will have problems.

All my splitters are from solid signal and proper swm splitters etc. turns out the local issue was intermittent and others experienced as well. I realized part of the third receiver issue is a vermin had eatin thru the coax so no signal was passing. Once if finished wiring and hook up everything back.

One weird thigs is that on receiver three on sat setup claimed that some of the tuners werent working etc. however running sat signal tests etc and tuning channels everything is working perfectly now.

#7 OFFLINE   robq391

robq391

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Ok let me start by saying everything has been working since I installed the swm years ago. However due to a remodeling activity I had to move a coax to the last receiver in my line.

From swm I run cable to a power passing splitter than split that again to get to the second and third receiver. The third receiver after some hooking up had communicating with sat messages last night figure I got some mud and dirt in the connector when I reran the cable so was going to clean all the connectors this morning .

However This morning receiver 2 started having the local breakup but weather channel seems just fine and was working fine last night.

I tried removing receiver 2 off last splitter and still noticed no change in the signal breakup.

Swm reading on receiver 1 and 4 (other port of swm since goes to other side of house) show channels 2,3,8 and 9 at 0

Swm reading on receiver 2 first five channels all 96 or higher 6 thru 9 zero.

Any ideas!!!

Don't get caught up on the SWM transponder readings. Those are actually channels. When there is a reading of "0" that means that channel is currently being used by a tuner from one of your receivers. Depending on your setup, up to 8 of those channels can be used less the channel(s) freed up by the receiver you are viewing the readings on. The 9th channel (think it may be #1 in the list???) is the programming guide channel and will always show a level other than "0".

As far as the breakups on locals, I've seen that from time to time recently as well where I am. It's not constant and only seems to be locals. I'm thinking it goes a little higher :D than our equipment in our homes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...