Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Replacement Plan and impact of known issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hehateme

hehateme

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

I have had HR21-700 DVR for 4-5 years.
In the past month the performance has been unbearable.
It restarts by itself. When I press list/guide button it can take up to 5 minutes.
Even changing channels can take 2-3 minutes. I have reset it multiple times but that is not helping.
When we play recorded content it freezes all the time.
I delete most of my recordings to free up space in the hard drive.
I ran all the hardware tests but they don't show any error.
My guess is that internal hard drive is dying.

I called direct TV and they had me disable auto scrolling. It did not help.
I was told that I am experiencing a know issue so they cannot replace the receiver.
I have been a customer for many year and I have protection plan. So this reponse does not make sense.
I talked to customer service and they offerred to give me $15 per month off for 1 year or give me a free HD Receiver but they will not replace HD DVR.
I will be coming to end of my contract in less than 6 months.

I have read in these forums that I should have told them that my DVR is dead. I would have saved a bunch of time and received my receiver.

I am posting this so others can learn my mistake.was told that I am experiencing a know issue so they cann

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Your conversation needs to be directly with the Protection Plan department not the first line CSR you get. Failed equipment gets replaced with equivalent equipment.

Try (888) 667-7463 which may put you in direct contact with the PP.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,361 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

You need to stick to your guns on the freezing issue. Slow response is a hallmark of the HR21 but if the picture freezes or stutters, it can't be so easily written off.

What is the internal temperature of your DVR?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Just call them back and tell them it wont turn on anymore....when you have one that is definitely not working correctly, it should be a no-brainer ship out a replacement from D* customer service.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,361 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Just call them back and tell them it wont turn on anymore....when you have one that is definitely not working correctly, it should be a no-brainer ship out a replacement from D* customer service.

You would think so but recent threads suggest otherwise.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   hehateme

hehateme

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

I did talk to Protection Plan first and they were not helpful at all.
Freezing and rebooting on its own along with slow speed was not good enough for a replacement. I will wait a few more days before calling again and use a different approach.
They did transfer me to customer service and they were to one who offered $15 per month for next 12 months. I did not accept because I may not continue to use them if this issue is not resolved soon.

#7 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Yep, just tell them it's dead.

Of course, there's no guarantee about what model replacement you'll get.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#8 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

This is just sad. The grab bag attitude about replacements is one thing. This is in an entirely different orbit of insanity, forcing someone to keep a bad DVR because it's not totally dead.

It would not be ethical of me to suggest that smoke and fire situations result in immediate replacement and short phone calls, so I will not say any such thing to you.

Edited by JeffBowser, 14 December 2012 - 02:45 PM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#9 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

I went thru quite an ordeal over the past several days with Customer "Disservice." Go straight to Customer Retention. They MAY help you, but still expect some misinformation. Took two long phone calls with retention for me.

#10 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

I have had HR21-700 DVR for 4-5 years.
In the past month the performance has been unbearable.
It restarts by itself. When I press list/guide button it can take up to 5 minutes.
Even changing channels can take 2-3 minutes. I have reset it multiple times but that is not helping.
When we play recorded content it freezes all the time.
I delete most of my recordings to free up space in the hard drive.
I ran all the hardware tests but they don't show any error.
My guess is that internal hard drive is dying.

I called direct TV and they had me disable auto scrolling. It did not help.
I was told that I am experiencing a know issue so they cannot replace the receiver.
I have been a customer for many year and I have protection plan. So this reponse does not make sense.
I talked to customer service and they offerred to give me $15 per month off for 1 year or give me a free HD Receiver but they will not replace HD DVR.
I will be coming to end of my contract in less than 6 months.

I have read in these forums that I should have told them that my DVR is dead. I would have saved a bunch of time and received my receiver.

I am posting this so others can learn my mistake.was told that I am experiencing a know issue so they cann

On a clear weather day, callback and focus ONLY on the Freeze Frame that's happening. Be very specific that you are only concerned about the Freezing up on the DVR'd recordings. Be specific that it doesn't happen on live TV and don't even mention System Slowness; it'll sidetrack an inexperienced CSR.

Your conversation should go something like this:

Cust: My DVR is freezing up when I play stuff back
CSR: Is it happening on Live TV?
Cust: No and it's just on this one HDDVR.

Runs the system test, checks weather. Just go along with it and do what they ask.

CSR: Is it happening on just one recording or several? Is it from just one channel or several
Cust: Many recordings from lots of different channels.

Tests Signal and has you check some test channels Just go along with it and do what they ask

CSR: Well sir, it looks like you need a replacement receiver.........

That's how it should go down. If it doesn't go down like this, ask for a supervisor. You will get a replacement

spam firewall