Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Looking For Cheap Upgrade suggestions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hey yall,

Well rumor has it the guy with the white beard and red suit will be replacing a kids TV in my home with a nice 32" model. That said she is currently on an R16-300, hardly ideal for a hd tv. So here is my question, given todays upgrade options what would you do in my shoes. Our setup is currently

HR20-100 in Master
HR22-100 in Living Room
R16-300 in kids room as mentioned

And I am on a Swim8.

The two HR are each connected to their own Wifi bridge to stream content from PlayOn. I do not have whole home turned on.

I'd love to add an HR34 to my system but obviously I wont have enough tuners if I keep my two HR in play. So that means replacing the SWiM if I recall right.

Will the fact that I have been out of contract for 6+months give me any leverage? I'd like to not break the bank.

Open to any suggestions or hearing about recent experiences.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,210 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

The number and type of tuners doesn't change so that's a non-issue.

If you have WHDS, they will likely want to do a professional installation to extend it to the kid's room.

Only DIRECTV can authoritatively tell you how they will treat you.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

A HR34 has 5 tuners..... That is a factor IMHO...

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

#4 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

If you are out of contract you might already be able to order an HDDVR on line for $99, assuming that you want to continue to give your daughter her own DVR. That's the same as the going rate for an H2X HD box so it's not a bad deal.

Go to directv.com, log in, go to the equipment section and put an HDDVR in your cart and see what they are charging you for it.

You also still have the option of calling them up and simply asking what they can do for you to get an HD replacement for the R16. If they don't make an offer to your liking and you are able to get the HDDVR on line for $99 you can still just go back and do that.

NOTE: Either of those options puts you on a new 2-year commitment.

That would give you a total of 6 tuners which your SWM8 will support.

If you are looking to add it, you could have the Whole Home service activated and will pay another $3 a month for it however you would also need to get DECA converters for each unit (unless you are lucky enough to replace the R16 with and HR24 or newer) as well as a band stop filter for the HR20-100. You might be able to get DirecTV to give you those things. You can at least ask for it if/when you call. If not you can probably get them cheaper on ebay or amazon than you would buying them from DirecTV or Solid Signal.

Of course that assumes you are going to install it all yourself. If they have to roll a truck to hook it up for you, yer gonna' pay.

But if as you indicated you are trying to keep it inexpensive you might just want to leave whole home for another day.

An HR34 plus the two HRs will give you 9 tuners, making your SWM8 inadequate. A SWM16 will be needed. I am not entirely sure how much of a deal you would get on an HR34 AND a SWM16 especially since they will almost certainly want to roll a truck rather than just send it to you for self install. Again, if you are going to hook it up yourself you can get a SWM16 cheaper on ebay or amazon than anywhere else.

I personally purchased my own SWM16 ($55), DECAs ($10 EACH) and a wireless Cinema Connection Kit ($50), connected them all myself and just phoned customer service to have whole home activated. That in itself requires a little perseverance since they balk at simply taking your word for it and turning on the service for an install they didn't perform but in the end I got it all connected and activated on my own on a shoestring budget.

Edited by HarleyD, 14 December 2012 - 07:35 PM.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#5 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thanks everyone. HarleyD you info was great. I guess then I will have my wife call them (she negotiates better and was a CSR a few years back) and see if we can get the HR34, a client and the SWiM upgrade and give them back the R16. That way we can locate the old kid tv to another location (like the wife's craft room) and then give the kid the HR22 and put the HR34 in its place. The only question remaining is how much we will have to layout for all this.

#6 ONLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 900 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

You won't need to mention the SWM16 when she calls in...that's included in the install. They're not going to try to charge you extra for custom work on that or anything...a SWM16 is required to have everything function properly (with an HR34) so a SWM16 will be installed....
Good luck!
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#7 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

You're smart to start by having your wife call DirecTV. Your best starting point is to find out what they are willing to do for you.

If that doesn't satisfy you and you decide to pursue some of the self-installation options, I strongly recommend that you go to the Connected Home or Installation forums and take advantage of the resources there. There are many diagrams and charts that are pinned to the top of the page (expecially in Connected Home) that are extremely helpful.

Most questions that may arise have already been answered in there somewhere at some point and if you don't find those answers, post your questions. There is a strong community of very knowledgeable people here that are only too happy to share their expertise. These people know more than I ever will and have helped me in the past. Your HR20-100 in particular has special considerations that the other HDDVRs do not...specifically the need for the Band Stop Filter in conjunction with DECA in a whole home configuration.

You can learn a lot from the posters on these boards just by asking and you will get a lot of help in a hurry here if you ask for it.

The only rough spot is if this is a Christmas goal, time is not on your side.

Good luck.
--Frank Zappa

#8 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

Update:

So went a slightly different direction. I emailed D* to see which of our receivers were owned (2 were supposed to be owned, purchased when my wife worked for D*) . The email folks responded and said "we cant answer that question". Then D* started calling, being the holidays it was hard for them to catch us but they finally did today.

We are getting the Genie, installed and whole home service activated to replace our R-16. They wanted to get $49 for install wife talked them down to $24 then $0.

Thanks for the input everyone!

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,042 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Update:

So went a slightly different direction. I emailed D* to see which of our receivers were owned (2 were supposed to be owned, purchased when my wife worked for D*) . The email folks responded and said "we cant answer that question". Then D* started calling, being the holidays it was hard for them to catch us but they finally did today.

We are getting the Genie, installed and whole home service activated to replace our R-16. They wanted to get $49 for install wife talked them down to $24 then $0.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Sorry I missed this thread until now buddy...but glad to hear you appear to have gotten things squared away the way you need.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Sorry I missed this thread until now buddy...but glad to hear you appear to have gotten things squared away the way you need.

Thx HDTvfan, yeah this one seemed to sneak under the old timers radar but did get plenty of helpful info and suggestions. It seems D* really wants to keep us locked in, I guess having a nice enough package, enough receivers and auto-pay counts for something.

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,042 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Thx HDTvfan, yeah this one seemed to sneak under the old timers radar but did get plenty of helpful info and suggestions. It seems D* really wants to keep us locked in, I guess having a nice enough package, enough receivers and auto-pay counts for something.

Hopefully that settles up and steadies things for you then for a while. ;)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hopefully that settles up and steadies things for you then for a while. ;)

Lordy, if I cant record all I want to watch with 9 DVR tuners in the house then either I am watching far too much garbage programming or Hollywood has seriously changed something.

#13 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

State of the art flagship receiver, professional installation and zero dollars.

Yup, that trumps the self install options.

Of course there are a few folks here that take self installation to a completely different level (look around for the photos of Carl Spocks setup for example) You won't get that from Mastec.

But for your purposes you've hit the jackpot. Congratulations.
--Frank Zappa

Protected By... spam firewall...And...