Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV Marketing Strategy - Run by Morons

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   woward

woward

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

I've been a DTV customer continuously for over 17 years, always with the highest level packages. I've only upgraded a couple of times, first when HD came out and then again when DTV got a DRV. Recently my wife wanted the new Genie (she records lots of shows) so I contacted DTV about an upgrade. DTV offers new subscribers all the hardware for free, free installation and discounts on monthly charges for a year. After being told I had to pay full price for everything I threatened to cancel and was sent to various people in retention. I told them I wanted the hardware for free and free installation but did not ask for any break on my monthly charges. I had already verified that Dish will give me all that AND discount my monthly charges for a year.

Long story short, the best DTV would come up with was that they'd give me the Genie for free & free installation but I had to pay $198 for two new client receivers and $99 for Cinema Connection Kit and they would knock $15/mo on my bill for 12 months, valued at $180. So it will cost me $120 to get less than what EVERY new DTV customer gets for free. And, I had to agree to a new 2-year contract.

I said "no thanks" and cancelled my DTV service.

I cannot believe that DTV is so dumb they'd be willing to lose high revenue long term customers but I guess they just don't understand the real cost of getting and keeping accounts.

I'm looking forward to a great DISH experience...

Bill

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

17 years? Hast DirecTV been around that long?

Good luck with Dish. You'll suffer with their lack of programming choices but I hope you won't have to live through 5 DVR replacements like my in-laws did.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Morons?

Virtually every company offers new customers the world and existing customers "discounts".

Hope you enjoy DISH. They have given me countless reasons not to switch to them.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#4 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Good luck with Dish. You'll suffer with their lack of programming choices but I hope you won't have to live through 5 DVR replacements like my in-laws did.

I wondered about that as well but according to Wikipedia (so its GOTTA be true) DirecTV first lit up in 1994.

Depending on what he watches the OP may be happy with Dish.

Different needs have different solutions.

Personally, I've been with DirecTV for over 12 years and wasn't made anything near that good of an offer on an upgrade to an HR34...not by a longshot. The OP got an offer I would have jumped on.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,354 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

I agree with HarleyD. Lack of programming choices for you maybe, but not for everyone. At least they got AMC back.

#6 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

There is an old joke, woward.

A man dies and turns up at the Pearly Gates. St. Peter explains to him that we have it all wrong here on Earth. What you do in life doesn't determine if you go to Heaven or Hell. Instead, St. Peter explains you get a 24 hour pass to check out both places and you pick where you want to end up for eternity. "Ooo-kay," the man says, more than a bit confused.

The man first goes to Heaven and it is exactly what he expected - babbling brooks, lush clouds, sweet music and sugar frosting. It is Paradise. He then takes the express to Hell and it's nothing like he thought it would be. There are naked babes everywhere, great music, liquor freely running from taps, and a Super Bowl every day of the week. It's easily the best party he's ever been to.

After a solid day of extreme partying with no next day hangover, the man goes back to St. Peter and says while he would enjoy Heaven, he choses Hell. St. Peter makes sure that's what he really wants. Yes, the man replies.

Returning to Hell, its newest resident is met with fire, brimstone, searing flesh and pains of agony. He hunts down the Devil and says, "Hey, Beelzebub, what happened to the nude chicks, first run movies and cold beer?" The Devil looks him in the eye and says, "Back then you were a prospect. Now you're a customer."

It's the way of the world, woward.

Beyond that, you'd tear up a long term relationship over a fit of pique? Call DirecTV back. Get to Retention. Tell them you want to cancel your service. You may find a more conciliatory attitude on the other end of the line. I wouldn't be surprised if you got close to your Dish deal. Warning: don't do this unless you are willing to switch to Dish tomorrow. You may back yourself into that corner with this technique. It's like playing Chicken. Only play if you don't mind crashing.

Edited by Carl Spock, 15 December 2012 - 06:35 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#7 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Yes, they've been around 18 years. Started in 1994.

#8 OFFLINE   VLaslow

VLaslow

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

And, believe what Carl Spock tells you. He was ready to go too.

#9 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

I've been a DTV customer continuously for over 17 years, always with the highest level packages. I've only upgraded a couple of times, first when HD came out and then again when DTV got a DRV. Recently my wife wanted the new Genie (she records lots of shows) so I contacted DTV about an upgrade. DTV offers new subscribers all the hardware for free, free installation and discounts on monthly charges for a year. After being told I had to pay full price for everything I threatened to cancel and was sent to various people in retention. I told them I wanted the hardware for free and free installation but did not ask for any break on my monthly charges. I had already verified that Dish will give me all that AND discount my monthly charges for a year.

Long story short, the best DTV would come up with was that they'd give me the Genie for free & free installation but I had to pay $198 for two new client receivers and $99 for Cinema Connection Kit and they would knock $15/mo on my bill for 12 months, valued at $180. So it will cost me $120 to get less than what EVERY new DTV customer gets for free. And, I had to agree to a new 2-year contract.

I cannot believe that DTV is so dumb they'd be willing to lose high revenue long term customers but I guess they just don't understand the real cost of getting and keeping accounts.

Bill

Let me assure you, DISH isn't any better. I went back and forth with them for an entire week working a retention deal. It fell thru because retention reps do not note offers they quote you, so when you call back, its like you made the previous offer up yourself. in the end, they would not bulge over $5 a month extra off, so I cancelled. you WILL be miserable on the "DISH EXPERIENCE"..... Its the same with all the companies... DirecTV gave us a deal we couldn't turn down as a "new" customer. in 2 years, who knows what will happen.........

#10 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Can't recall anyone saying they were able to add receivers w/o charge. I'm sure its possible, but D* doesn't do it easily.

#11 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

I'd have called back the next day. Sometimes it takes a couple calls. Its the sad fact of life these days with how companies handle customers, some reps can and do give more discounts than others, even if you go to supervisors. You just have to play the game.

#12 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

I've been a DTV customer continuously for over 17 years, always with the highest level packages. I've only upgraded a couple of times...

Unfortunately, as ridiculous as it sounds, the issue may be that you haven't bugged them a few more times for some upgrades or credits, so they consider you a fully satisfied customer.

I've been with DIRECTV nearly as long as you have, with something less than what is now the Premier package, yet I have never ponied up for any net out-of-pocket expense for any hardware upgrade, including DVRs, HD, and the HR34.

As others have suggested, if you have any desire to remain with DIRECTV, get to Retention, and hit them up for what you really want---there's nothing unreasonable in what you're requesting.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#13 OFFLINE   woward

woward

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

I'm not really expecting Dish to be better than DTV. It's just that because I'll be a new customer the pricing is so much more attractive than what DTV will do for retention. I didn't ask DTV to meet or beat the competition, just to upgrade my ancient DTV equipment without charge. From what I can tell, it is mostly a toss-up between Dish and DTV regarding programming and picture quality. I understand there are fanboys for one or the other but I've talked to enough people who feel they are roughly equal that I'm willing to risk moving to Dish if DTV doesn't want to cooperate.

Thanks for the advice, Carl Spock. I'll call DTV one more time tomorrow to see if I get a reasonable person. However, I don't think DTV considers that we have valuable "long term relationship" - I'm just another anonomous monthly check to them.

Bill

#14 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

I'm not really expecting Dish to be better than DTV. It's just that because I'll be a new customer the pricing is so much more attractive than what DTV will do for retention. I didn't ask DTV to meet or beat the competition, just to upgrade my ancient DTV equipment without charge. From what I can tell, it is mostly a toss-up between Dish and DTV regarding programming and picture quality. I understand there are fanboys for one or the other but I've talked to enough people who feel they are roughly equal that I'm willing to risk moving to Dish if DTV doesn't want to cooperate.

IMHO DTV is better in a few ways for my watching habits, but it depends on what you care about. And either way it's not the end of the world.

I switch back and forth every couple of years just to get the best deal. Drives my wife crazy, but with a universal remote it's less of an issue.

I find it humorous when people can't be objective as if THEY get paid when you pay your bill. Very strange what people choose to be loyal to these days.
Receiving Equipment: SL5-SWM LNB, SWM Multiswitch, OTA via Attic Antenna
Theater Room: Epson 3010 Projector | Integra 50.3 Receiver | HR21-100 | Harmony 880 | Slingbox AV
Living Room: HR24-100 | Sony 47" LCD HDTV
Computer/Network: Windows 7 | Buffalo Nfiniti | 7M/896k DSL

#15 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:25 AM

Bill

The number one satellite TV service provider run by morons? More like you shooting yourself in the foot because you made a decision using your emotions rather than using your logic. :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#16 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for the advice, Carl Spock. I'll call DTV one more time tomorrow to see if I get a reasonable person. However, I don't think DTV considers that we have valuable "long term relationship" - I'm just another anonomous monthly check to them.

Check out this thread. I got everything I wanted and then some when I signed a new commitment just a few months ago.

woward, you're dead right about one thing: DirecTV doesn't care about having a valuable long term relationship with you.

I have a valuable long term relationship with my insurance agent but not the companies he represents. I wouldn't lose my agent for the world. I don't care with whom he signs me up.

Please give me an example of a faceless corporation in your life who values your loyalty. I don't have one.

I have loyalty to my local Honda dealer because I like the people there and the service they provide. Do you think the fact that I've purchased multiple Hondas from them made a cent of difference in my last car purchase? No.

I get more warm fuzzies from the UPS guy who drops off a package or two a week at my house than I do from my cell phone company.

You want loyalty to be a two way street. It ain't. In business, it never is. Businesses want to make a profit. Nothing more. You are replaceable.

I do agree with you that for most people, Dish and DirecTV are peas in the same pod. They aren't to me but maybe they are to you.

#17 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,274 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

I'm one of those that see D* and E* as six of one, half dozen of the other. Channels in HD are similar enough with both having most of what I want, with very few that I would like missing. I go with the best deal.

Currently that is D* because of the discounts they offered to have me keep Premier. That my son likes to subscribe (and pay for) the NFLST is just icing on the cake. When/if D* decides they don't want to do any discounts I'll most likely switch.

I've been both happy and pissed at both services over different issues, so it doesn't get my dander up. They are both just simply pay for services rendered imo.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#18 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

And, believe what Carl Spock tells you. He was ready to go too.

Go live in Hell, as in the joke? You're way too late.

Don't forget I owned my own stereo store for 21 years. I was Beelzebub.

You think I'm kidding? I made more money on my regulars, not less. Certainly there were sales and instances when I could shoot them a deal. If I could, it would be an outrageous deal. But in general, my store's steady customers paid the marked price or maybe a few bucks off. One of my favorite salesmen phrases was, "If you can't make money off your friends, then who can you make it from?"

Everybody needs a deal but for many folks, including my regular customers, mostly the deal is not price but service. Take care of their needs and people will pay the price.

#19 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

If DirecTV gave every existing customer a free upgrade when they called in to complain they would not be in business. Cause it's pretty much every single customer who calls in.

I remember they told us it is best to lose some customers and gain new ones than give our existing ones whatever they want.

Whats dumb is that you don't understand basic business practices. All companies including cell phone companies give new customers free stuff existing customers can't get. You got new offers when you signed up and at the time people were complaining people like you got it free and they didn't.

And you are comparing a stereo store with a 27 billion dollar company? They can afford not to weasel into customer demands. And depending on your account payment history and tenure they won't.

Edited by acer, 16 December 2012 - 04:19 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

Bill

I started with Directv in 1995. I have constantly churned my service since them with Dish and Mediacom (cable co.). Like you I have tried to get better deals from both Directv and Dish after fulfilling my contract. Only once have I been successful and that was with Directv 7 or 8 years ago.

I have been with Directv 4 different times and Dish 3 different times. Neither one cares about loyalty. Because of that I do NOT care about loyalty either. I go with the company that gives me the best deal for 2 years. I have NO preference, Dish service works just as well as Directv for me.

Presently I am on month 10 of a 2 year contract with Directv. You will find as I have that after you leave (quit service) you are suddenly a valuable person once again. You will get constant offers to "comeback". Of course it is all silly because you will be in another contract.

I am a constant churner, but neither company cares. I am always a New Customer after churning. If both companies gave as much attention to Existing customers as New customers they would probably save millions of $$$. Until then, it is only 14 months til I churn back to Dish ..... :lol:

spam firewall