Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV Marketing Strategy - Run by Morons

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

I just did a "napkin" calculation.

Is that a good value? Judge for yourself. For my household it isn't that good.

Good Value of course is for every person to decide. For Lazy Senior, TV service is a commodity like a bottle of milk or a gallon of gas. Cheapest always wins. If Lazy had his way he would not have Dish or Directv service as he is quite comfortable watching Netfix and OTA. Unfortunately for the pocketbook Mrs. Senior sees things differently...;)

Before signing a 2 year contract I sit down and figure out what the total 2 year cost for satellite service is going to be for both DTV and Dish.

The NEW Customer deal always saves me $300 -$500. Plus I get the added benefit of new equipment and usually free Premiums for 3 months or so. The value of being a New Customer is $aving$ for me.

FWIW both DTV and Dish love having me back as a New Customer even though I have churned many times. I never try to hide the fact I have been a previous customer. They WANT me back as a New Customer.

Honestly I would not churn if it were not for the fact that I can save lots of $$$. Remember, I don't make the rules. DTV and Dish do.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Glad my Finances are what they are because my wife would Not allow that because she is accustomed to what we have and she knows how to work everything and she would be in No Mood to try to figure out a New Dish DVR. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#63 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

I just did a "napkin" calculation.
That's about $2.87 per hour.

Sigh. I should not have done that calculation :(

So a blockbuster PPV costs $6 for HD version and lasts ~2 hours. Or, ~$3/hr. (Never mind that Redbox is $1.50/day for Blu Ray.)

Ugh. By comparison, most of what we watch is worth $.50/hr or less.

#64 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

Glad my Finances are what they are because my wife would Not allow that because she is accustomed to what we have and she knows how to work everything and she would be in No Mood to try to figure out a New Dish DVR. :)

I'm in the same boat. I was looking at Dish as a new customer to get lower costs. The wifee-pooh nixed that deal quickly. She knows DTV and won't change.

#65 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

It is very strange how cell phone companies routinely give you their then-current flagship phone for no more than $200 every two years if you re-up your contract, but satellite providers have marginal interest in similar upgrade incentives.

Well who's R&D departments develop and manufacture that flag ship equipment for wireless providers versus satelite television providers? It would seem that satelite television providers have more cost in that sense.

Also, how often does D* or E* launch a new receiver versus a new cell phone coming out? Pretty sure there was more than a 6 month gap between the HR24 and HR34 whereas a new cell phone seems to be out every 2-3 months.

On another note, wireless companies also bank on customers wanted the latest and greatest outside of their upgrade offers every two years. Also, how many D* or E* receivers are dropped in a puddle of water on a daily basis versus cell phones? The churn of the equipment is far greater for wireless providers than television providers and so I feel your arguement falls short.

#66 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

The wifee-pooh nixed that deal quickly. She knows DTV and won't change.

The answer to that is called a Logitech Harmony Remote. With one of them she won't know if you have Dish or DTV. :) You do not even have to learn Channel numbers. I have owned one for a long time and it is one of my better investments in TV.

My wife never pooh-poohs money $aving$. Like me she does not believe TV viewing is worth $100 plus a month.

A $20 a month saving over 2 year contract is very worth-while in our household.

#67 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

The answer to that is called a Logitech Harmony Remote. With one of them she won't know if you have Dish or DTV. :) You do not even have to learn Channel numbers. I have owned one for a long time and it is one of my better investments in TV.

I have 2 Harmony Remotes, a Harmony 1000 and a Harmony One which she does Love to turn on the TV or DVD or whatever but she still Loves knowing Directv and she would not change.

We are Not that Frugal and don't care to be!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#68 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

I too have considered moving to Dish. I've been with DirecTV since 2008. However they offered me a great deal on an HR24 this last summer when my contract expired. I decided to stay with them. I called Dish however 2 months before my contract expired with DirecTV and asked Dish what they could offer me that would be similar. They outright told me they couldn't come close. The phone rep was even rude as if they didn't want nor care if I moved over to Dish.

Then just today I saw my neighbor getting DirecTV installed. He previously had Dish. Spoke to his father about his decision to switch and he said DirecTV offered him $200 to break free from Dish. So he took it. He told me he's had DirecTV before. However once he (the son) left DirecTV before they sent him LOADS of offers to return. My other neighbor had DirecTV too until they removed RFD-TV from his package and wanted him to pay more to get it. So he left for a local IPTV (telco tv provider), He told me he gets offers every week from them (DirecTV) as well as phone calls offering that channel for nothing and promos to beat the band. I wish BOTH providers treated long time customers like they treat customers that are new or have left in order to get them to return.

Edited by xmguy, 19 December 2012 - 02:03 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

spam firewall