Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Physical Install of WHDVR

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

I’m scheduled to get a HR34 and Whole House services in a couple weeks. My questions are about the physical install. I currently have a HR21 upstairs which is staying. The HR22 downstairs (actually in a partial finished basement) is being replaced with the HR34. Currently both the HR21 and HR22 have CAT5 runs to them and connected to my router.

Within 10 feet or so of the room containing the HR22 is a sheet of plywood with a Zinwell and CAT5 patch panel mounted. Will this Zinwell be replaced with a SWM module? I guess I’ll need a BB DECA also. But what is your opinion on where the tech will place the BB DECA? Will it be mounted on the plywood with the SWM (there is CAT5 connection there also) or behind the HR34 on the floor (which also has a CAT5 network access).

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Yep, SWM will replace the Zinwell multiswitch.

No need for the DECA, just plug the HR34 into the ethernet and it'll be the interface for both DVRs, the HR34 and HR21 will talk over a subnet through the SWM.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#3 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:27 AM

We get paid to install the BB DECA, we don't get paid to plug an ethernet cable into the back of the HR34.

It's your home, show him what you want him to see, where the coax, internet and a power source all meet up. If you think you might want to forego the BB DECA after he leaves, help with the trash you will need one of the discarded terminators from the splitter.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

My installer plugged the ethernet into the HR34's port. He has to call something about "broadband qualification"...... He told them he installed a CCK kit but of course, he didn't. Now, I feel if for some reason in the future I want to go wireless, i'll end up paying for the CCK...something he should have left in the first place....So the installer gets paid to install something he didn't install, and didn't leave the device....I feel cheated.

We get paid to install the BB DECA, we don't get paid to plug an ethernet cable into the back of the HR34.

It's your home, show him what you want him to see, where the coax, internet and a power source all meet up. If you think you might want to forego the BB DECA after he leaves, help with the trash you will need one of the discarded terminators from the splitter.

#5 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

Can the BB DECA be installed to a vertical sheet of plywood? Would you install it at the plywood which has 120vac and CAT5 or behind the HR34 which has the same thing?

#6 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,913 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Certainly, I have all the SWiM- 16 / splitters and misc stuff on a plywood panel in the basement.

Just put the bb deca at the most convenient place or remove it (terminate any splitter ports) and plug ethernet into the 34.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#7 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

Can the BB DECA be installed to a vertical sheet of plywood? Would you install it at the plywood which has 120vac and CAT5 or behind the HR34 which has the same thing?

Wherever the coax, internet, and a power source are available, if there are multiple locations you can choose. Just remember its your house.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

Protected By... spam firewall...And...