Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TiVO VOD not working

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CaptBobH

CaptBobH

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

I also posted this in the general section for the most exposure, as I see someone posted a similar if not the exact same problem here back in June without any resolution.

So I have a NEW TiVo unit and it's HARD WIRED to my Internet router...the first couple of days I had no trouble downloading old TV shows like Men of a Certain Age on channel 1245 (TNT)...then our of the blue it stopped downloading them...it puts them in queue and then starting it's "Preparing" cycle...after 1-2 minutes it then shows no shows in "Queue" to download...then if you go to "To Do" list and enter history it shows that show "WAS NOT FOUND" and so nothing ever gets downloaded from the DirecTV on Demand....after SEVERAL times on the phone with the techs at D* they now insist I need a "Wireless Cinema Connection Kit"...I REALLY don't think this is going to help but it's being sent to me...

They could not answer how I downloaded the show when I first got this unit...AND BTW....I CAN STILL DOWNLOAD their FREE Extended Previews of Paid per View shows....

Can anyone here help explain this and do you think this "KIT" they are sending will solve my problem.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME...

Bob

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 832 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hard to say. The DirecTV tech I had at my house said that using Ethernet caused various troubles and set me up with the CCK. I will comment that there does not seem to be a way to configure the CCK with a THR22 - it had to be done through my HR21 - so you may get the CCK and not be able to use it.

Steve

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   CaptBobH

CaptBobH

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Well they sent me a Wireless Cinema Kit.....useless......it can not be configured with a TiVo unit...all instructions tell you how to get it to work with a D* DVR...

Now they are sending me some filters and a DECA......but this time they are having a installer come and do it....

It's just hard for me to believe that EVERYONE who has a TiVo unit doesn't download from the VOD........and D* has no idea how to correct the problem...

ANYONE....ANYONE....ANYONE

#4 OFFLINE   tarbox

tarbox

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

Same thing here. When I first called, I talked to someone who was sure that I just needed to reset my internet... The next tech I talked to acknowledged that THey have a problem and were woking on it.

#5 OFFLINE   CaptBobH

CaptBobH

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

I found this searching the Internet.....can any of you tech guys comment on this procedure and tell me it this is FINALLY going to resolve my issue of not being able to download VOD using my TiVo....make SURE you read it all the way to the end of page 2.

http://forums.direct...PostID=11051838

#6 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 832 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

I am dubious - there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about what works and what doesn't.

Steve

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   CaptBobH

CaptBobH

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

I'm REALLY surprised no here has a answer to how to download VOD TV shows on a TiVo unit...

#8 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

I don't think I have ever gotten it to work.

Steve

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:35 AM

I have gotten it to work before but here lately i can't download anything from hbo and others. I can still download directv cinema movies.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#10 OFFLINE   CaptBobH

CaptBobH

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

I've been complaining for a nearly a month with D* and tomorrow they are sending me a tech to fix it no matter what it needs at their cost..so we'll see and I'll post the results for others here.

Bob

#11 OFFLINE   CaptBobH

CaptBobH

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Sorry folks....I forgot to update this.....The tech guy came out and couldn't find anything wrong with my unit...but they have little or NO experience with a TiVo unit....he finally said he "THINKS" I may need to open up more ports on my internet to get these downloads from DirecTV ......a few days later I tried a couple of PAY downloads instead of the FREE downloads from channels like TNT or TBS, etc......I have NO PROBLEMS whatsoever downloading anything I have to pay for...but can't download any programs that are FREE...EXCEPT a FREE 10 minute preview download....

I don't believe there is anything wrong with my unit or my internet....it's all on DirecTV's end IMHO....

Anyone else here get to download FREE TV channels that DirecTV offers ? ? ?

#12 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

I have been having trouble downloading from any on demand channels except showtime and directv cinema. This problem seems to show every few months for me.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#13 OFFLINE   CaptBobH

CaptBobH

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

NOW......ALL my downloads are working....of course my show I was interested in "Men of a Certain Age" is no longer available to download from TNT....I have also notice that all those free channels have much less to download....

#14 OFFLINE   brauck-man

brauck-man

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hey guys, I am having the same issue as well. None of the VOD stuff is working for me.

Now, I work for a major networking manufacturer and I am running my own gear here at home for my internet firewall.

I did some packet captures and noticed the following:

1. If I run the Diags on the Tivo to have it connect up to the DTV service, I can see traffic going out to the internet and coming back just fine.
2. if I search for a TV show and select the VoD option, I can see the Tivo query a different server at DTV and see traffic coming back. I assume this is the list of shows available.
3. When I select a specific show to download, I see the Tivo do NOTHING. No DNS queries, no HTTP queries back to DTV, no nothing.

This is clearly a software bug and it needs to be addressed.

I called DTV tonight and explained my tests to them. The agent said that she'd talk to her supervisor. After about 5 min on hold, she told me that she'd be filling a bug with the developers. She got my current software revision which is 018A.

She said that the developers may be pushing a patch out to my Tivo within a week or so and if I didn't hear back within a week or so to call back in.

You bet I will.

Just thought I'd share my findings.

Thanks

Brauck-man

#15 OFFLINE   SPECIES11703

SPECIES11703

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

I have a Directv TiVo as well. No problem here. I do noticed that it has 2 network inputs in back of the receiver. Plug your network cable into the other one see if that helps. If not, totally reset the TiVo to factory state (this should be the last option).
DirecTV Customer since 4/2000, VERIZON FIOSTV CUSTOMER
DirecTV HR23-100, FIOS HD DVR
R15-500 (2) R15-300 (1) DirecTV Tivo (2)
HDTV SAMSUNG 46" LN46B550K
INTERNET PROVIDER: VERIZON FIOS 35/35

#16 OFFLINE   CaptBobH

CaptBobH

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

I just tried yesterday afternoon to down load some free TV Show....WOULD NOT download again...then tried FREE Previews....they now will NOT download and they always did....this is just after I had it down loading anything I wanted as I posted above....I haven't tried a PAY down load yet but I'm guessing it will work.

BTW.....brauck-man.......they told me the same BS that they would have a tech bulletin made out and if it doesn't work in a week to call back...I called back and they just gave me the run around and said they knew nothing about a tech bulletin to the tech department for a patch.

#17 OFFLINE   brauck-man

brauck-man

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I just tried yesterday afternoon to down load some free TV Show....WOULD NOT download again...then tried FREE Previews....they now will NOT download and they always did....this is just after I had it down loading anything I wanted as I posted above....I haven't tried a PAY down load yet but I'm guessing it will work.

BTW.....brauck-man.......they told me the same BS that they would have a tech bulletin made out and if it doesn't work in a week to call back...I called back and they just gave me the run around and said they knew nothing about a tech bulletin to the tech department for a patch.

Heh...yeah...figured as much when they didn't give me a ticket number or the like. Fortunately, I know the Director of DirecTV's Datacenters (long time friend) and I will bug him if I don't get any joy from this experiment.

This is clearly a software bug and I will not stop until I get somewhere. This is absolute crap that I am paying for a service that doesn't work as advertised. Been with DTV since '99 and I'm not afraid of yelling very loudly at them.

#18 OFFLINE   CaptBobH

CaptBobH

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Heh...yeah...figured as much when they didn't give me a ticket number or the like. Fortunately, I know the Director of DirecTV's Datacenters (long time friend) and I will bug him if I don't get any joy from this experiment.

This is clearly a software bug and I will not stop until I get somewhere. This is absolute crap that I am paying for a service that doesn't work as advertised. Been with DTV since '99 and I'm not afraid of yelling very loudly at them.

I have been a customer with D* since Jan 1997...I installed my own dish back then....and several others for friends....they don't seem to care...they have been screwing with me on this download crap for over 2 months...works...don't work...works....don't work.....GUESS what....it's working right now....I'm downloading some Nurse Jackie shows...the pilot and hopefully 9 more......

PLEASE.....PLEASE.....PLEASE....if you get to the bottom of this, INCLUDE ME... :)

Bob

#19 OFFLINE   dberes_1

dberes_1

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Like Capt Bob and Brauck-Man - I have the same issue - Same Tivo unit with 018A software, using wireless cinema kit. I too have been with DTV since 96, through every iteration of Receivers DTV has provided - Back in the day having to increase hard-drive space on SAT-T60's to the NEW Tivo's - which I was anxiously awaiting - The Cinema Kit isn't user friendly for Tivo - I had to hook my laptop up in and login to unit and manually configure it as it wouldn't take the network settings correctly. For about 3 months I was able to do VOD - now, everytime I try it hangs at preparing - hit "c" to watch your "queue" and it will just disappear after a 2 minute time-out - I also sniffed the packets like you did Brauck-Man - and saw the same behavior - it's doing nothing on the request - I don't see a packet even coming out of the unit. I called DTV support - which I HATE to do - and they had no clue - at least you were told it's a bug - I was told the Tivo unit does not work with Directv Cinema - *sigh* - Do we have any updates on new software revision coming out that will fix this issue? This is really frustrating, and I don't want to give up my Tivo for an HR24 model.

#20 OFFLINE   drumdude

drumdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

The problem with TiVo is no carrier (cable or satellite) is going to support it as well as their own platform. They will just do the minimum to satisfy FCC requirements. I like TiVo but have given In. I now accept the inferior DVR that Directv offers because its better than the inferior DVR Time Warner or U-verse offer. The majority of Americans don't seem to care so nothing will change. To the masses a DVR is a DVR.

spam firewall