Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV 4k Ultra HD Channel Anticipation

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 611 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

Pretty much as expected. Cool beans.

So back to topic...

In terms of anticipating a timeline for 4K HDTV (aka Ultra HD) - that specific question will be asked in 2 weeks at CES...and if any definitive information is presented...it will be shared.

Can't wait to read all the reports from you guys !

I don't think anyone has posted this yet.

http://www.engadget....k-10-bit-video/

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,384 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

Can't wait to read all the reports from you guys !

I don't think anyone has posted this yet.

http://www.engadget....k-10-bit-video/

Yeah....we usually do some reporting from onsite each year. ;)

Neat linked info.

The part that soemtimes gets lost in the whole 4K HDTV discussion is the tech on the other side of the screen....the cameras, storage media, etc.

There's plenty going on with all that as well - more to seek and view at CES.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#78 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

!rolling

Yeah....uh huh....right...

Uh huh....sure...

Next we'll hear that since that gem of info was something found on the Internet someplace , it has to be true. :rolleyes:

Yup...and the ISF mandates those as required for more than 2 years now.

Thanks for adding some real information. :up:

Bottom line...all that other bogus stuff about 9' viewing for an 84" display is way out of reality.

Better check your information - Do yourself a favor and spend sometime on @ the Minolta Booth at CES.

The Minolta CS200 is a ColorMeter which sold for over $10k (it may still). However, Colormeters have proven themselves problematic on the different types of displays out today.

The Minolta CS2000 or CS2000a Spectroradiometer (the later can produce 1nm resolution) at a cost of well over $30k is what is respected today - not the ~10 year old CS200 or ANY colormeter.

And THX or ISF has NEVER required a Colormeter AND a Spectroradiometer. As a Spectroradiometer will blow away a Colormeter, there is no need.

I don't own a spectroradiometer. I only have a SpectraCal C6 with CalMAN 5. Which ain't too shabby...

And a $700 Colormeter is still not as good as a Spectroradiometer costing so many multiples of that amount.....

The Minolta's are high-end and highly regarded.

Yes they are.

It's refreshing to read something from an informed source posting here.

Read above and do some homework.

A Colormeter expects to find a certain value at a certain point. It measures how far those points are off from what is expected.

That was fine when CRT was the known output. Once CFL, Laser, Plasma, LED, OLED et al with different light signatures started coming out, the light source was producing a different spectral output and the values were not where they were expected with a colormeter. That is why a Spectroradiometer is a must today.

Just because a Colormeter looks for data at about 20 points on the spectrum, today's displays spectrum do not produce the same values in that spectral area and thus the Colormeter is often looking at the spectral area wrong area.

A Spectroradiometer with a 1-3nm resolution is a must. The CS2000 and CS2000a have that. A colormeter does not.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 25 December 2012 - 12:53 AM.

#79 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

Just using what the chart said and I didn't create the chart. It claims THX and SMPTE as sources.

Here is another calculator that I have used in the past.

THX, SMPTE, and visual acuity all say small numbers. These are respected sources - they aren't going to claim recommended distances that are grainy.

Don't shoot the messenger. My gut also says it sounds fishy.

No, the THX an SMPTE charts are correct and exactly what I was speaking of.

Any ISF or THX certified tech worth their salt would know about these.

They are exact specs for proper distance to screen size. While some may not personally like what the specs say, it is still the proper field of vision the images are shot and editted for.

However, it appears some think they know better than THX and SMPTE, which is laughable in and of itself.

#80 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,384 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

They are exact specs for proper distance to screen size. While some may not personally like what the specs say, it is still the proper field of vision the images are shot and edited for.

The reality within the various posting banter and conflicting information is that in the end - there are no "exact specs" other than math computations - viewing is about the human interaction of visual presentations.

People's vision, hearing, and the environment (things like ambient light, brightness, contrast, color depth, screen reflection and angles, acoustics, etc.) all vary. Math can be used to compensate for variables...no doubt.

Why there may be preferred, recommended, and "in a perfect world that doesn't exist suggestions" for specifications...in the end..."your mileage may vary" is most appropriate.

Having significantly invested in 2 different certified sound and visual and audio engineers in the planning, design, implementation, configuration, and final "alignment and tuning" of a 6-figure THX-certified, rack-mounted 116" projection dedicated Home Theater, I appreciate and understand the value of these things better than most folks based upon real-world experience. Four (4) different high-end calibration devices were used to peak the video and audio. Both engineers, using different equipment at different times, agreed upon the final results. Thereafter, 2 adjustments were made - 1 audio and 1 video to suit viewer preferences.

All that said, while there is plenty of science in how the viewing experience can be optimized...personal taste (which may or may not "see or hear" things the same way) always trumps it in the end.

Circulating back to the topic at hand - 4K HDTV....if last year was any indication of what we'll see and hear from manufacturers in < 2 weeks at CES...there are some best practices, standards, and common traits already forming that will impact how it is delivered and viewed.

A number of us will be honing in on vendor booths to get the latest info on this topic - from advance indications, there will be more than 18 manufacturers representing 4K HDTV brands. Based on past years, there will likely be reports at DBSTalk about information learned onsite.

Season's Greetings.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#81 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

CUTTING EDGE

• Super Moderators
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing one in person, *soon*. :D

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#82 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,715 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

What about the other 17?? :)

I, too am looking forward to it all!

And, as 'fan is saying, seeing is believing! Me, I've never had a professional adjustor near my house, and I am very happy with my Sammies' pictures. Yes, a bit of tweaking but very little needed for my taste. (What taste, you say??) :lol:

But I do know my luminance from my saturation, my pixels from my bit depth, and so on, probably due to immersion in digital photography over the last ten years.

Last but not least, a Merry Christmas to those who may be celebrating same.

Or if you prefer:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non addictive, gender neutral celebration of the Winter solstice holiday practiced with the most enjoyable traditions of religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2013 , but not without due respect for the calendar of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make our country great (not to imply that the USA is necessarily greater than any other country) and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms:

This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/him or others and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. The wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

Best Regards (without prejudice)

Name withheld (Privacy Act)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#83 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,384 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

What about the other 17?? :)

I, too am looking forward to it all!

Seeing is believing. ;)

But Laxguy...

the rest of your post after "Or if you prefer:"