Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWiM16 price ?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

I have a Legacy AU9-SL5 dish and getting ready to convert to Single wire system. Planning on getting the HR34 to add to my 2 HR21's so my math is 9 tuners total. Is this correct ? The upgrade is $ 200.00 out of pocket !

http://www.satpro.tv/swm-16-2.aspx

And now I am thinking about changing the LNB to a SL3 to speed up my system

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

I have a Legacy AU9-SL5 dish and getting ready to convert to Single wire system. Planning on getting the HR34 to add to my 2 HR21's so my math is 9 tuners total. Is this correct ? The upgrade is $ 200.00 out of pocket !

http://www.satpro.tv/swm-16-2.aspx

Get DirecTV to do the installation. The single installation fee will cover everything.
And FYI moving from the SL5 to the SL3 will have no effect on the speed of your system.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

And FYI moving from the SL5 to the SL3 will have no effect on the speed of your system.

In the other thread, I posted some steps to check to see what differences changing LNB settings would make.
I haven't seen a reply, so I'll agree with texasbrit that it won't make one bit of difference changing from the SL5 to a SL3.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

I had an SL5 until June of this year. When they upgraded me to the SWM system they put in a SL3 because I did not need anything on the 110 or the 119 where I live.

There was zero change in speed from the change.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

I had an SL5 until June of this year. When they upgraded me to the SWM system they put in a SL3 because I did not need anything on the 110 or the 119 where I live.

There was zero change in speed from the change.

Once you change to SWiM [and in his case a -16] you can change the receiver's setting to SL3 or SL5, as the SWiM works the same and only the receiver will change the tuning commands to not look for the 110 & 119 SATs.

The concept of a difference between the SL3 & SL5 for speed is a myth.

The OP changed to a 18" dish and saw some speed improvement, but hasn't taken any of the steps to see if this wasn't anything more than dumping the guide data and restarting.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Once you change to SWiM [and in his case a -16] you can change the receiver's setting to SL3 or SL5, as the SWiM works the same and only the receiver will change the tuning commands to not look for the 110 & 119 SATs.

The concept of a difference between the SL3 & SL5 for speed is a myth.

The OP changed to a 18" dish and saw some speed improvement, but hasn't taken any of the steps to see if this wasn't anything more than dumping the guide data and restarting.

Wouldn't the guide data be much smaller with an 18" dish. I've noticed channels from other sats don't appear when you aren't pointing at them. That could explain the speed difference.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

Wouldn't the guide data be much smaller with an 18" dish. I've noticed channels from other sats don't appear when you aren't pointing at them. That could explain the speed difference.

The guide data feed is the same, but what the receiver parses/uses would be the difference.

The OP could connect the receiver back to the slimline, but keep the receiver setup still for the 18", and see if there are any changes.
This was what I suggested in the other thread, but it hasn't been done or had the results posted.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 482 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

You should check the SWM16 prices on eBay. They are a LOT less than $200. Like, 75% less.

#9 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Get DirecTV to do the installation. The single installation fee will cover everything.

+1
Have you even talked with DirecTV about this upgrade? It could be as much as $299 for the 34 plus installation or it could be free. But well worth the call.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

You should check the SWM16 prices on eBay. They are a LOT less than $200. Like, 75% less.

All ill say about ebay is... Buyer beware.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

The safest and smartest thing you can do to protect yourself on a ebay purchase is to pay through PayPal.

If you have a problem with anything you paid for via PayPal you can dispute it through them and believe me, as a former ebay seller I can tell you that PayPal weighs their resolutions heavily toward the buyer and away from the seller...to an almost unfathomable degree sometimes.

Once PayPal finds in your favor they will refund you your money and then put the seller on the hook to make good on it to them.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#12 OFFLINE   br408408

br408408

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

The safest and smartest thing you can do to protect yourself on a ebay purchase is to pay through PayPal.

If you have a problem with anything you paid for via PayPal you can dispute it through them and believe me, as a former ebay seller I can tell you that PayPal weighs their resolutions heavily toward the buyer and away from the seller...to an almost unfathomable degree sometimes.

Once PayPal finds in your favor they will refund you your money and then put the seller on the hook to make good on it to them.

+1

I have purchased over 250 items on ebay...a few Directv items...most not. I have never been ripped off once. I think that many people that don't use ebay like to believe that ebay is full of thieves and your chance of being ripped off is 50 percent....this is simply not true. Would they have lasted all these years if most people got ripped off? Check the sellers feedback and the number of sales. Also, paypal will go to bat for you, the buyer, over the seller as HarleyD said.

Edited by br408408, 30 December 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Now craigslist on the other hand is total anarchy.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#14 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

more like seller beware.....no recourse what so ever if buyer claims its broken even without proof.....
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#15 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

I'll be happy to sell you a SWM-16 for much less than $200 as I just switched out for a SWM-32.

#16 OFFLINE   Mike32280

Mike32280

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Amazon seems to have pretty decent prices....any reason to shy away from amazon?
D* Customer since 2004
2 HR20-700
Hughes SD Directivo
SWM8

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Amazon doesn't sell most DIRECTV equipment, but their marketplace partners do. Amazon is very good about acting as a gobetween for you if you have a problem, but in my experience they don't really understand the difference between owned and leased equipment, and while they certify their product, they seem to have only minimal awareness of the large amount of stolen equipment out there being sold as legitimate equipment. This is something that you hear the legitimate web sites talk about all the time... that unscrupulous installers mark something as replaced or installed when the customer doesn't need it replaced or installed, so there's this piece of equipment out there that didn't cost anything and it's being sold far below cost because it didn't really cost anything.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

I have bought quite a bit of DirecTV gear recently from Solid Signal and their service is top notch. You may pay a few extra dollars, but they are available to help if needed,

#19 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

I bought this one
http://www.ebay.com/...=item35c2c196eb

$ 63.50 brand new includes shipping and splitters

I think its funny Directv brings out the New SWM so you only need 1 wire from the dish total of 8 tuners, but after they bring out the HR34 you have to go back to old technology with the LNB with 4 wires :nono:

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#20 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,922 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Only if your tuner count goes over 8.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...