Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWiM16 price ?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

I bought this one
http://www.ebay.com/...=item35c2c196eb

$ 63.50 brand new includes shipping and splitters

I think its funny Directv brings out the New SWM so you only need 1 wire from the dish total of 8 tuners, but after they bring out the HR34 you have to go back to old technology with the LNB with 4 wires :nono:

Hr34 doesn't require a legacy dish.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Doesnt it if you plug in 2 HR21's total of 9 tuners ?

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#23 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

Just to be clear, it has nothing to do with the HR34, it has to do with how the SWM16 works. No one needs a legacy dish for an HR34 unless they need more than 8 tuners which means moving to a SWM16.

#24 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

The requirement for a legacy dish is due to the number of tuners, not the presence of the HR34. I don't mean to split hairs but it sounded to me like you thought that any HR34 would require a legacy dish and that's not true.

#25 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Amazon doesn't sell most DIRECTV equipment, but their marketplace partners do. Amazon is very good about acting as a gobetween for you if you have a problem, but in my experience they don't really understand the difference between owned and leased equipment, and while they certify their product, they seem to have only minimal awareness of the large amount of stolen equipment out there being sold as legitimate equipment. This is something that you hear the legitimate web sites talk about all the time... that unscrupulous installers mark something as replaced or installed when the customer doesn't need it replaced or installed, so there's this piece of equipment out there that didn't cost anything and it's being sold far below cost because it didn't really cost anything.

Over the past 12 months I have purchased a LOT of DTV eqpt thru Amazon.
SWM16 w/PI, 4way splitters, 2way splitters, a 21v PI, 5 remotes and a SWM LNB! Is all of this "stollen"? The vendors all seem to be legit, they sell other products! In the past I purchased thru Solid Signal, the sattleliteshop.net, but these prices are sometimes half of what SS charges! Are they selling "grey" or "black" market DTV products? There must be a supply other than tech's providing them! I would love to find out the truth!
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#26 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

I would love to find out the whole truth, too... because the truth that I do know is disturbing.

#27 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

I would love to find out the whole truth, too... because the truth that I do know is disturbing.

Ummmm The Truth will not set you free ! Shhhh we just dont talk about the grey area's :grin:

Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#28 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

The requirement for a legacy dish is due to the number of tuners, not the presence of the HR34. I don't mean to split hairs but it sounded to me like you thought that any HR34 would require a legacy dish and that's not true.

Thats what i was saying. Its funny that Directv didnt for see this coming with alot of people needing 9 plus tuners after the HR34 came out when they wanted to keep ther old DVR's also . The 8 tuner SWM LNB wasnt enough and should of been at least 12 or 16 Tuner SWM LNB. Now wer back to 4 wires being fished thru the house to the splitter then back to single wires :nono:

#29 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,228 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

The reason you dont see more than 8 tuners on the SWM LNB is that the SWM technology can only handle 8 tuners on one coax. A SWM16 is just two SWM8s jumpered internally, each output can only handle 8 tuners. If there was a SWM16 LNB you would have to run 2 coax into the house to a central splitting location
My Setup

#30 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

The reason you dont see more than 8 tuners on the SWM LNB is that the SWM technology can only handle 8 tuners on one coax. A SWM16 is just two SWM8s jumpered internally, each output can only handle 8 tuners. If there was a SWM16 LNB you would have to run 2 coax into the house to a central splitting location

I know ....but
from wer we came from with all the extra wires for each single LNB's to each bird to Combo LNB's down to a Single Feed horn that does up to 5 birds with one wire. It just seems that Directv didnt think it thru allowing the single wire 8 tuner LNB to be allowed to double its capacity with out running 3 more wires back to the dish :(

#31 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

I bought this one
http://www.ebay.com/...=item35c2c196eb

$ 63.50 brand new includes shipping and splitters

I think its funny Directv brings out the New SWM so you only need 1 wire from the dish total of 8 tuners, but after they bring out the HR34 you have to go back to old technology with the LNB with 4 wires :nono:

Agree with this. I self installed a SWM lnb two years ago and then when "upgrading" to an HR34 had to reinstall my old lnb with four outputs. Glad I held onto it.

#32 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

The SWM technology is from a company called Entropic. The original Entropic design was for 12 tuners but DirecTv decided to use only eight, not sure why. Probably they did not think many people would end up using more than eight.
(of course they are really using nine because of the guide data channel)

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

It just seems that Directv didnt think it thru allowing the single wire 8 tuner LNB to be allowed to double its capacity with out running 3 more wires back to the dish :(

I'm sure DirecTV would love to hear how you could get twice the bandwidth out of the coax and still stay within the range of the receivers.
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,149 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Thats what i was saying. Its funny that Directv didnt for see this coming with alot of people needing 9 plus tuners after the HR34 came out when they wanted to keep ther old DVR's also . The 8 tuner SWM LNB wasnt enough and should of been at least 12 or 16 Tuner SWM LNB. Now wer back to 4 wires being fished thru the house to the splitter then back to single wires :nono:

Not necessarily. I know of many SWM16's outside so there is still a single wire into the house.

Directv knows the typical number of tuners in homes with and without HR34's. And the HR34/C31 concept does not require more than 5 tuners and that still leaves room for a two tuner DVR and single receiver to be added. That's a lot of TV's to watch.

So I suspect Directv has the data and can predict very accurately how may systems can live within the 8 tuner limit.

#35 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Not necessarily. I know of many SWM16's outside so there is still a single wire into the house.

For more than 8 tuners, there has to be a second coax.
A.K.A VOS

#36 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,149 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Yup, I was focused on the four lines.

#37 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

What kind of setup would it be to only use 2 wires from the Dish to get 16 tuners ?

#38 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,228 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

What kind of setup would it be to only use 2 wires from the Dish to get 16 tuners ?

You still need 4 wires from the dish but you can mount the SWM16 outdoors right by the dish and then run 2 wires into the house
My Setup

#39 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

A SWM16 at the dish or an SD 18" system.

A SWM16 is essentially just two SWM systems. Only 2 lines(1 for each SWM system of 8 channels) are needed from the module on.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#40 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Install a regular slimline LNB at the dish.Put the SWM16 at the dish, connected to the dish via four short cables. Make sure you use connectors designed for outside use. Then run two cables from the dish to the house.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...