Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HSP's cabling policy for c31 clients???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Birdman79

Birdman79

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

Ok so the techs are being told to only use directv approved(3 ghz/solid copper)cabling for all c31 installs.No more copper clad steel,because according to the bigwigs the service calls associated with those new c31 installs are due to unapproved cabling used:grin:.

I was under the assumption,that signal loss is the same with both types of cable.And that voltage loss is more on CCS,thus why you'd have to run solid copper from dish to the power inserter,but would be ok to use CCS from splitter to the client.

Just curious on everyone's input on this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

according to the bigwigs

Their approach is a one size fits all and don't have a tech use his/her brain, as that might require education.

RF loss is the same between SCC & CSS RG6, and the C31 doesn't pass DC.

You could even get away with RG59 as 100' has only a dB of loss difference between the two.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

Ok so the techs are being told to only use directv approved(3 ghz/solid copper)cabling for all c31 installs.No more copper clad steel,because according to the bigwigs the service calls associated with those new c31 installs are due to unapproved cabling used:grin:.

I was under the assumption,that signal loss is the same with both types of cable.And that voltage loss is more on CCS,thus why you'd have to run solid copper from dish to the power inserter,but would be ok to use CCS from splitter to the client.

Just curious on everyone's input on this.

I understand your point about maybe not cause service calls but what if the customer decides to take out the c31 and place in a hd dvr or hd receiver later on. Would the CCS cause problems whereas the solid copper would not? I'm just asking. Maybe it's a future proof thing.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

To my understanding there is no reason to use SCC for the C31; the client does not pull DC voltage from the coax. That said, it makes sense to standardize on SCC just because if you wire the whole house with SCC there will be no problem with the location of the PI. That's the only line that requires SCC, because of the voltage carried from the PI to the SWM or dish. That is, kinda, the reason for the PI in the first place.

If you're an installer who buys his own cable, moving to SCC would increase your costs somewhat but as I said, the flexibility it gives the customer is important enough that I support this move.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Birdman79

Birdman79

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

To my understanding there is no reason to use SCC for the C31; the client does not pull DC voltage from the coax. That said, it makes sense to standardize on SCC just because if you wire the whole house with SCC there will be no problem with the location of the PI. That's the only line that requires SCC, because of the voltage carried from the PI to the SWM or dish. That is, kinda, the reason for the PI in the first place.

If you're an installer who buys his own cable, moving to SCC would increase your costs somewhat but as I said, the flexibility it gives the customer is important enough that I support this move.

The problem with that is the installers run into prewired homes with CCS,and the scenarios are :refish the cables with Solid copper/run cables on the outside/try to get DTV to change C31 to standard HDs/or cancel the job because the customer doesn't want to pay for wall fishing charges because it's all ready prewired.

I have yet not ran into a service call in which the c31 wasn't working properly due to a CCS wiring used,and all i do is service work:grin:.

#6 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

The problem with that is the installers run into prewired homes with CCS,and the scenarios are :refish the cables with Solid copper/run cables on the outside/try to get DTV to change C31 to standard HDs/or cancel the job because the customer doesn't want to pay for wall fishing charges because it's all ready prewired.

I have yet not ran into a service call in which the c31 wasn't working properly due to a CCS wiring used,and all i do is service work:grin:.

All I can say is this is not being required by every HSP.

The SPIG requires any new line to be DirecTV approved. It requires any line that is not finished off to be DirecTV approved.
Finished off wiring must only meet DirecTV's frequency and voltage requirements. These aren't explicitly stated, which is what causes the inconsistencies in requirements.

One can argue the only voltage requirement is between the LNB and the PI. The other side could argue that because the approved cable is SCC sweeped to 3 Ghz that all cable must be.

In general it seems your HSP is just trying to do what they feel they can to solve the nightmare that is Genie, without a real understanding of the issues behind it.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

spam firewall