Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New customer genie questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nydennis

nydennis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Returned to DTV after a few years. Had the genie installed today with 3 additional clients. The installer told me a few things and one of which was false so figured I'd ask here.

He mentioned that if I'm watching live tv on all 3 clients and the sever that I couldn't record more then 1 show. If I was watching 2 clients live tv I could only record 3 shows at a time. Is this true?

He also said I couldn't rewind live tv in the other rooms but I showed hom I could.

Is there normally a 3-5 second delay switching channels on the clients?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

He also said I couldn't rewind live tv in the other rooms but I showed hom I could.

Quite the well-informed ambassador you had there.

That channel change speed is comparable to mine.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

When a c31 is watching live TV or is in the buffer, it's using a tuner from the HR34, so if all three clients are watching live, then the tuners wouldn't be available to record something else on the HR34. Not sure if that's the case if they were watching the same thing.

There are both benefits and downsides to using a c31 or receivers.

#4 OFFLINE   nydennis

nydennis

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Quite the well-informed ambassador you had there.

That channel change speed is comparable to mine.

Thanks just checking

When a c31 is watching live TV or is in the buffer, it's using a tuner from the HR34, so if all three clients are watching live, then the tuners wouldn't be available to record something else on the HR34. Not sure if that's the case if they were watching the same thing.

Thanks I figured it might be something like that. I haven't had a chance to record anything to see how it works just yet. I wish the clients changed the channel faster but I can live with it.

#5 OFFLINE   Dahammer

Dahammer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

He mentioned that if I'm watching live tv on all 3 clients and the sever that I couldn't record more then 1 show.

True. 3 clients live + Genie live = 4 tuners in use, so only 1 left to record.

If I was watching 2 clients live tv I could only record 3 shows at a time. Is this true?

True. Again, the Genie has 5 tuners.

But if you are recording something that you are also watching live, then that only uses 1 tuner.

Is there normally a 3-5 second delay switching channels on the clients?

Yep.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...