Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

looking into dish

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RReyes23

RReyes23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

I was looking at getting dish and wanted to purchace my own equipment and wanted to know what receivers are legacy because I wanted to get some used equeptment and was told by dish that I cant activate legacy equipment

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

If the model number has four digits ie: 2800, 3000. ect. They would be legacy equipment. There are also a lot with three digits that have also been discontinued. You best course of action would be to ask seller for receiver number and smart card number, then call Dish with them to verify that they can be activated and that there is no money due Dish associated with them. You would want to do this because 1. if the receiver is a leased receiver, Dish will not active them and will want the receiver sent back to them and 2. if the receiver has money owed to Dish, you would have to pay it first before Dish would active them on an account for you.

Not sure of your reasons for wanting to buy but leasing is usually the better way to go. If you are concerned about the 2 year contract, you can pay an upfront fee to do away with the lease contract.

#3 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

I have a 612 HD DVR receiver I could sell you for $125. Used about a year. PM me if interested.

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Before you buy ANYTHING from a private party, get the receiver Serial number (beginning with "R") and the Smart Card Serial number (beginning with "S") and have Dish verify that you are not buying leased equipment that cannot be activated regardless.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   RReyes23

RReyes23

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Before you buy ANYTHING from a private party, get the receiver Serial number (beginning with "R") and the Smart Card Serial number (beginning with "S") and have Dish verify that you are not buying leased equipment that cannot be activated regardless.

thanks for the info i am going to purchace though a retailer anything i should watch out for at all

#6 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Try to get some info on the retailer before hand from other people.

Som retailers are excellent.. and then theres others who should never be allowed near a Dish system or your money lol.

#7 OFFLINE   RReyes23

RReyes23

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

ok the company is called sky view sat they are new here in town has anyone heard of them before and have feedback?

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

Why in the world would you want to buy legacy equipment? I can't even figure out why buying new equipment with Dish makes any sense at all.

The single thing you get if you buy is no 2-year contract. To get out of that you :
1. Pay for all your equipment, dish, receivers and you pay for the installation.
2. You get exactly zero warranty, and with the older gear I doubt that Dish would even do an equipment swap.
3. Legacy equipment is that way for a reason. At best it is well used and in a very late use cycle, at worst it is nearly ready to crap out.

And all your monthly fees are exactly the same as they would be if you lease new equipment since it really isn't a lease anyway, it is just an equipment fee.

Since only not having a 2 year contract is a plus for doing it this way, and you are concerned about having that contract, maybe you should consider if pay tv is smart for you.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#9 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Why in the world would you want to buy legacy equipment? I can't even figure out why buying new equipment with Dish makes any sense at all.

He was asking which receivers were Legacy because Dish told him they would not activate Legacy receivers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...