Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

have a couple questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sat01

sat01

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

hello, i'm very new to satellite services so i dont have a lot of experience. i've got a couple questions, one that might have been asked a bunch of times already :P

firstly, the main draw of dish vs direct tv is the built-in bluetooth that comes with the hopper. the reason for this is b/c my dad is mostly deaf, but his hearing aids have this little device that can connect via bluetooth and stream the audio directly into his ears. without this, it is very hard for him to hear anything. i've done some research and even read on hearing aid forums that the hopper worked very well. most bluetooth devices seem to introduce lag, but there was little to none with hopper.

now, since i dont know much about satellite boxes etc, does directv offer anything similar to hopper? the main draw is the bluetooth sync, but as far as i can tell, no, only dish has this. but i thought i'd ask since theres undoubtedly people with much more knowledge about all this :)

second question is a two part. one issue with the hopper is (from the ads i've looked at) you can only get it if you subscribe to 'top 120' package or above. thing is, my parents don't watch a lot of tv, so that would be excessive for their needs and ultimately more expensive. but again, the big draw is the bluetooth included in the hopper. would it be possible in theory to just buy the hopper from somewhere else, and then get a lower package from dish? or is there some kind of technical hurdle that would prevent this?
would they still get hit with a monthly 'rental' fee if they provided their own hardware?

any help would be appreciated

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:24 AM

I don't believe you could purchase a Hopper outright. AFAIK, Dish only leases their products.

If what you really want/need is basic cable with Bluetooth audio, why not look into getting an Audio/Video receiver with Bluetooth audio? A quick search on Google found a Pioneer unit on Walmart for under $200.

#3 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

I don't believe you could purchase a Hopper outright. AFAIK, Dish only leases their products.

Yes you can purchase DISH products either directly from DISH or a DISH retailer. One of the best is www.dishdepot.com.

Sent from my DROIDX
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

Dish Welcome Pack is $14.99/mo. DISH 120 is $19.99 for the first 12 mo. Purchasing the Hopper is $469.99 from Dishdepot and still requires accessories and install. Are you sure you don't want to lease it for 2 years? Technology and prices will change over those 2 years.

#5 OFFLINE   sat01

sat01

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

i've seen some on ebay for 200-ish unopened. the thing about the higher package isnt the initial cost, but the after 12 month promo costs. add that plus a monthy 'rental' fee for the hopper, in the long term that would come out more expensive than just buying the equipment at the beginning. unless you still get hit with the rental/misc fees even with supplying your own equipment, then its a moot point.

i've done a lot of research into bluetooth, but majority of the items are laggy and dont 'sync' with the action on tv or wont just work with the tv they have. unless someone has specific device suggestions. the tv they have does not have rca out, so that leaves optical. i've only found one bluetooth optical device, telme tosblue II, but problem is it does not support dolby digital (confirmed by the company). unfortunately the tv they have only outputs dolby digital via optical. there isnt an option in the menu to select PCM.

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

Dish Welcome Pack is $14.99/mo. DISH 120 is $19.99 for the first 12 mo. Purchasing the Hopper is $469.99 from Dishdepot and still requires accessories and install. Are you sure you don't want to lease it for 2 years? Technology and prices will change over those 2 years.

Welcome pack is $14.99/mo, smart pack is $19.99/mo first year with 2 year commitment $24.99 after that, AT120 is $24.99/mo first year with 2 year commitment $44.99 after that.

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

i've seen some on ebay for 200-ish unopened. the thing about the higher package isnt the initial cost, but the after 12 month promo costs. add that plus a monthy 'rental' fee for the hopper, in the long term that would come out more expensive than just buying the equipment at the beginning. unless you still get hit with the rental/misc fees even with supplying your own equipment, then its a moot point.

i've done a lot of research into bluetooth, but majority of the items are laggy and dont 'sync' with the action on tv or wont just work with the tv they have. unless someone has specific device suggestions. the tv they have does not have rca out, so that leaves optical. i've only found one bluetooth optical device, telme tosblue II, but problem is it does not support dolby digital (confirmed by the company). unfortunately the tv they have only outputs dolby digital via optical. there isnt an option in the menu to select PCM.

Rental or owned the monthly fees are the same. Sorry about the $5 error Gary the last advertised price I saw was $19.99 and I assumed it was the 120 pack.

#8 OFFLINE   sat01

sat01

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Rental or owned the monthly fees are the same. Sorry about the $5 error Gary the last advertised price I saw was $19.99 and I assumed it was the 120 pack.

really? that sucks.
the 120 is overkill for them but as far as i know thats the minimum you have to get for hopper :(

edit: wait you mean the normal fees? or misc. fees and stuff like dvr, 'box rental'.. and... whatever else there might be?

#9 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

really? that sucks.
the 120 is overkill for them but as far as i know thats the minimum you have to get for hopper :(

edit: wait you mean the normal fees? or misc. fees and stuff like dvr, 'box rental'.. and... whatever else there might be?

Depends on your setup, DVR fee for H/J or 922 is $10 per month, all others would be $6 per month. Add'l receiver fees: on the H/J the first Hopper is covered by the package and any add'l receiver (Hopper or Joey) is $7 each per month. On the rest, the highest receiver is covered while any add'l receiver could run add'l $7 to $17 each per month depending on the number of tuners and independent outputs and whether it's a Vip model or not.

spam firewall