Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Sling since last update

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Interesting. Since the last Hopper software update (230?), my Sling adapter doesn't work. When I try to access, I get a message that says I need to have one installed and am I interested in more info.

Reboot has done nothing.

Any thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Interesting. Since the last Hopper software update (230?), my Sling adapter doesn't work. When I try to access, I get a message that says I need to have one installed and am I interested in more info.

Reboot has done nothing.

Any thoughts?

I assume you unplugged it, the unit and the Sling. Perhaps putting into a different usb port, rebooting your router?
Thank you and
Best of luck

#3 OFFLINE   saberfly

saberfly

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

Does it show up in system status?

#4 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

Mine stopped working, too. I got a Sling Adapter Status Invalid message in the Diagnostics, and Dish is sending me a replacement. Would be sad if the problem was really software incompatibility problems.

#5 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Not sure about your situation, but I have Sling Adapters on 2 of my Hoppers and neither are having issues with the S234 update.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#6 OFFLINE   saberfly

saberfly

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

No issues here either. Mine actually works better now.

#7 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

I received a new SLing adapter from DISH. Plugged it into a USB port on the back of the Hopper. Red light on the adapter cam on. Got a couple of messages about connecting etc. After a while checked connectivity and all was well.

Fast forward 24 hours. No red light on Adapter. I can access the Hopper through the iPhone app but can't play anything. I tried switching USB ports and the adapter doesn't respond. I tested all USB ports by moving an EHD around and all was good.

I wonder if the USB power has gone? Anyone know if the USB power is per connector or a parallel power scheme?

Kind of at a loss here. I should try a USB stuck to see if I can grab ppics from it.

Any other helpful ideas?

#8 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

I received a new SLing adapter from DISH. Plugged it into a USB port on the back of the Hopper. Red light on the adapter cam on. Got a couple of messages about connecting etc. After a while checked connectivity and all was well.

Fast forward 24 hours. No red light on Adapter. I can access the Hopper through the iPhone app but can't play anything. I tried switching USB ports and the adapter doesn't respond. I tested all USB ports by moving an EHD around and all was good.

I wonder if the USB power has gone? Anyone know if the USB power is per connector or a parallel power scheme?

Kind of at a loss here. I should try a USB stuck to see if I can grab ppics from it.

Any other helpful ideas?

Can you plug a USB phone charger into the hopper and does that power the phone? Try connecting the sling and manipulate the USB cable. Moving the cable around may make a connection and the power light may come on. No light = no slinging
To me it sounds like a possible equipment issue with that Sling Adapter.

#9 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

What is the firmware for your Sling Adapter? It's strange that it worked for 24 hours and stopped working. Please let me know. Thanks.

Any other helpful ideas?

#10 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Phone charger works great with the usb ports on the Hopper. I'm working with Zach over at DishForums. Based on the diagnostic data, the Hopper won't recognize the adapter. Next step is to replace the Hopper...

#11 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Phone charger works great with the usb ports on the Hopper. I'm working with Zach over at DishForums. Based on the diagnostic data, the Hopper won't recognize the adapter. Next step is to replace the Hopper...

Hope fully that fixes it for good, let us know. I still have a hunch its the adapters.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Now try to probe USB part [digital connection] of the USB ports (you just did test of +5 VDC coming to the ports) - connect EHD to each.

#13 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

I did the EHD thing and it was recognized at each port. Bizarre, right?
For whatever technical reason, the Hopper won't recognize the SLing Adapter.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

toss the sling adapter e.g replace it first, because your H's USB ports are OK

#15 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Did you check the Hopper firmware via System Info? If the firmware is good, I still think its a problem physically with the Sling Adapter and maybe it not making a connection due to the USB cable having a problem. Either way you would still need the replacement.

#16 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Firmware says 0.0.0 which DISH says is the problem. I've tried 2 Sling Adapters already. We're going to replace the Hopper.

#17 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Firmware says 0.0.0 which DISH says is the problem. I've tried 2 Sling Adapters already. We're going to replace the Hopper.

That's factory firmware and it should update when a broadband connection is present. You're doesn't seem like it wants to update.

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

I would connect the Slings to PC (Windows or Linux) and check if VID & PID are OK; if the Sling's FW corrupted, changing H will NOT help you !

#19 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

If 2 Sling Adapters don't work and 0.0.0 is the Sling Firmware, then the Hopper isn't updating the firmware and the Hopper is the correct device to replace next.

Edited by some guy, 28 January 2013 - 11:52 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

OK everyone, stumped completely with this sling business.
I've been working with a guy over at DishForum. Here's what we've done
We first replaced the Sling adapter - no joy
Replaced the Hopper - no joy
Rebooted
Opened ports 80/443/5678 per DISH dude
Added the Hopper to the routers DMZ - no joy

I get no red LED on top of the adapter and the Hopper doesn't seem to recognize it's even plugged in

What do I do now?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...