Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Correct setup and setup settings?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lazyman

lazyman

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Where do I find out specific setup and setup settings for the area I live in? Or is the settings all the same? For example is there a specific way to point my dish depending on the area I live in? Or do I have to set the transponder, angle, etc. to specific settings depending on where I live? If I need to do that where do I find out the information on how to set it up according to where I live? Or where do I find the standard setup settings and setup?

Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong section. I wasn't sure if this should be in the OTA support

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Setting are for where the dish is being set up at. Best site is www.dishpointer.com. You input the address for where the dish is going, and use the pull down for the type of dish.
If you are setting up an sd receiver, you would use the dish500, for HD with NYC locals (which is EA or Eastern Arc) you would use dish1000.4 (even if you are using a 1000.2 dish). This will get you the starting setting and you have to adjust as you hone in on the signal to the highest level available to you.

#3 OFFLINE   lazyman

lazyman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

How about for Pennsylvania? Thanks I'll be visiting the sites now. Is that the settings? I don't see angle, or the transponder stuff. Are they using other words instead on those websites? (How would I set up the dish on the settings menu on the tv? Where would I find the correct settings for that?)

Edited by lazyman, 16 December 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

You should be able to check different locations using dishpointer, the dish setting would be different unless the two locations were extremely close to each other. Different transponders may vary slightly in signal strength while some may not have channels at the moment and would give you a reading of 0. The only transponder which would be difficult would be one with spot beams on it. This site would give you an array of transponders to use: http://www.dishuser.org/
The site shows all the info for the settings on the dish, I am not sure why you do not see azimuth (I think that is what you mean by angle, or you may be referring to the angle of the dish to the mount, which would be the skew).
Unfortunately, the Dish receivers do not give you aiming info for a 1000.4 dish.

#5 OFFLINE   lazyman

lazyman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Oh sorry, I meant on the signal meter screen(I believe that's what it's called) where it tells you the signal strength and you have to put in numbers for the zipcode, satellite, angle, etc. Where would I find out the info to fill in for that?

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,110 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

You put in the zipcode and antenna type ... the receiver does the rest.

#7 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

You put in the zipcode and antenna type ... the receiver does the rest.

But it won't give you EA dish info.

#8 OFFLINE   lazyman

lazyman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

so then how would I know how to set up the menu settings? Just type in the zip code? Or is there a website or something where I can find the exact settings for the menu? What is the Elevation, Azimuth(true/magn.) and Dish Skew supposed to mean. How would I set that up with the information?

#9 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

so then how would I know how to set up the menu settings? Just type in the zip code? Or is there a website or something where I can find the exact settings for the menu? What is the Elevation, Azimuth(true/magn.) and Dish Skew supposed to mean. How would I set that up with the information?

Like I put in an earlier post. Go to www.dishpointer.com/ put in your address and select they type of dish you are trying to point (Dish, Direct, FTA, ect.). It will give you all the settings you need along with an arial photo to give you a visual image to where to point when starting.

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

lazyman, have you ever installed a dish before? It sounds a little from your posting that this might be your 1st foray. Can I recommend you have a Dish installer out instead? I think your outcome may potentially be better.

#11 OFFLINE   lazyman

lazyman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

I went to the website got the information but I don't understand what those terms for the settings are supposed to be, also is the green line supposed to be the direction it should point in?

This is the first time I've worked on setting up one for dish network. An installer set one up for me previously for dish network.

#12 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

I went to the website got the information but I don't understand what those terms for the settings are supposed to be, also is the green line supposed to be the direction it should point in?

This is the first time I've worked on setting up one for dish network. An installer set one up for me previously for dish network.

It would have been easier if we here knew this was your first dish ahead of time. When you first mount your dish, the arm that the dish goes on needs to be level, you would need to check front or back as well as either side to make sure. Az should be adjustment on the back of dish that fits on the arm. Skew is the adjustment that looks like the circular wheel on the backside of the dish. The direction angel should correspond to the compass setting or as you stated, in the general direction of the green line when looking from the back of the dish. You should be able to move the dish placement on the image to other parts of your property (if you were not sure). Let us know with your next questions as you go.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...