Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Static IP?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

I'm going crazy with having to reboot my router every night to have access to Nomad and DirecTV2PC. I have read numerous fixes involving using static IP, but how do I set that up? For once, I'd like to come home and find both the Nomad and DirecTV2PC working on its own. I should note that when this happens, my PC can see the DVRs and the nomad can see the DVRs, but it can't access them.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

On the DVRs, Setup -> Network Setup -> Advanced Setup allows you to enter a static IP address. I'm not familiar with the Nomad setup, unfortunately.

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

As far as I know, there is no way to set a static IP address directly on the nomad. What you can do though is assign an IP address to the nomad via your router. On the router side, you have two options. You can set up DHCP Reservations, which just has the DHCP server on the router assign the same IP address every time the DHCP lease needs to be renewed. The second option is to use the MAC address of the nomad to have the router assign a static IP address to the nomad. This would be an IP address outside of the DHCP range.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

Set your HD DVR's with static IP's, not your Nomad.

#5 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,267 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Set your HD DVR's with static IP's, not your Nomad.

Agree. Not at all clear on what reserving a specific IP for the nomad does.

Moreover, I've set IPs for each receiver and have never had a problem associated with my LAN. I have a Netgear 3400 and check its connections anytime there's a question that comes up.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

The only reason I have had to use static IPs is when I was using a WRT160N router and the DHCP server would sometimes stop working or when I wanted to forward a specific port on a router to a specific client.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

To me that sounds like an issue with the router. You might try flashing with DD-WRT or other third party firmware.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

To me that sounds like an issue with the router. You might try flashing with DD-WRT or other third party firmware.

I'd second that.

I've switched all my routers over to DD-WRT and use DHCP Reservations for all my network devices. I've never had a problem with a device dropping off the network and have never had an issue with MRV, for which DHCP Reservations/Static IP Addresses is a solution for when people have receivers dropping off the network.

- Merg

#9 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

This will probably void your warranty if you brick it somehow. Try setting a static ip first. You want to change the DHCP range to start at an address higher than what it is now. Figure out what your DNS addresses are and choose an address that comes before your dhcp range. Your subnet is probably 255.255.255.0.

I'm not familiar with the nomad but try opening network explorer to see if its host name is listed in there. If it is listed try opening that in your browser like so http://hostnameofyournomad. If it brings up a log in dialog or page then you should be able to set up a static ip for it with the information you gathered from above. You'll just need to figure out what the username and password is.

#10 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

I used DHCP Reservations to assign a Quasi Static IP Address (it is not technically a Static IP Address by definition) when I had problems with WHDVR or MRV and they problems went away.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

I used DHCP Reservations to assign a Quasi Static IP Address (it is not technically a Static IP Address by definition) when I had problems with WHDVR or MRV and they problems went away.

Yeah... a little birdy told him to do that...and now he's trouble free. :)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Yeah... a little birdy told him to do that...and now he's trouble free. :)

Yes, a Little Birdie did tell me to do that so Thank You Mister Birdie I mean HDTVFANBOY!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,895 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

This will probably void your warranty if you brick it somehow. Try setting a static ip first. You want to change the DHCP range to start at an address higher than what it is now. Figure out what your DNS addresses are and choose an address that comes before your dhcp range. Your subnet is probably 255.255.255.0.

I'm not familiar with the nomad but try opening network explorer to see if its host name is listed in there. If it is listed try opening that in your browser like so http://hostnameofyournomad. If it brings up a log in dialog or page then you should be able to set up a static ip for it with the information you gathered from above. You'll just need to figure out what the username and password is.

There is no user interface on nomad. The closest thing you can do is set a reservation in DHCP.

With DD-WRT you can easily set that reservation outside of your normal DHCP range.

dd-wrt is now pretty foolproof. . . they even have loads to reload your original firmware if you need to go back. It will probably solve this and lots of other problems if your router supports it.

I'd suggest replacing the router if it doesn't!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#14 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

There is no user interface on nomad.

Correct.

There are only client programs or mobile apps....like a PC client and iPhone app for example. Within those, system information is presented to the end user.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#15 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

DHCP Reservations is the way to go.
Here's My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

I'd second that.

I've switched all my routers over to DD-WRT and use DHCP Reservations for all my network devices. I've never had a problem with a device dropping off the network and have never had an issue with MRV, for which DHCP Reservations/Static IP Addresses is a solution for when people have receivers dropping off the network.

- Merg

Like me :sure:

Have to use static IP here. DHCP is not reliable for the networked DIRECTV boxes on my router, a old Linksys WRT330N "Gaming Router." One or more receivers were seemingly always dropping off the network.

And can't install DD-WRT firmware on the router either. It uses an "Ubicom" processor with a strictly proprietary instruction set. A third party Linux firmware like DD-WRT is not compatible with it.

But static IP is working fine except for the HR34 which while increasingly rare, still drops off the net from time to time even with a static IP.

A restart brings it back.

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

Here's a good thread on setting up static IP addresses or DHCP reservations... :)

http://www.dbstalk.c...737#post2617737

- Merg

#18 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

The only reason I have had to use static IPs is when I was using a WRT160N router and the DHCP server would sometimes stop working or when I wanted to forward a specific port on a router to a specific client.

Ya. If and when Nomad ever allows streaming outside the home, one way to facilitate this is to fix Nomad's IP address with a router reservation and then set up port forwarding in your router for that address, so Nomad can get out to the internet.

The other way is if Nomad and your router are fully UPnP compliant, in which case it wouldn't matter what Nomad's IP address was, because the router could simply forward ports on demand, based on whatever LAN IP the UPnP request came from. We'll have to see how well that works, tho, if that's the plan.

I should note that when this happens, my PC can see the DVRs and the nomad can see the DVRs, but it can't access them.

As far as the OP, I'm not sure what's going on there. If Nomad can see the DVRs, then it's not an IP address issue. Could be a permissions issue on the HRs. If you haven't already checked, first place I'd look is under "settings, whole home, external device", to make sure access is allowed.

Edited by Steve, 18 December 2012 - 06:22 PM.

/steve

#19 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Ya. If and when Nomad ever allows streaming outside the home, one way to facilitate this is to fix Nomad's IP address with a router reservation and then set up port forwarding in your router for that address, so Nomad can get out to the internet.

The other way is if Nomad and your router are fully UPnP compliant, in which case it wouldn't matter what Nomad's IP address was, because the router could simply forward ports on demand, based on whatever LAN IP the UPnP request came from. We'll have to see how well that works, tho, if that's the plan.

As far as the OP, I'm not sure what's going on there. If Nomad can see the DVRs, then it's not an IP address issue. Could be a permissions issue on the HRs. If you haven't already checked, first place I'd look is under "settings, whole home, external device", to make sure access is allowed.

Access is allowed. I have noticed that while the app will show me both DVRs, I cannot "hide" either of them when this is going on. I can only "hide" a dvr in the app when it is fully functioning with the Nomad.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#20 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

I am concerned with screwing up the rest of my network. I have 7PCs, four iPhones, three tablets, a Blu Ray, an XBOX, all working perfectly on the network. The only thing that I have problems with are the DVRs and Nomad.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

Protected By... spam firewall...And...