Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Before I leave Dish anyone have a solution?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   inet27

inet27

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

We currently have two DVR's in our house. We like to keep our recordings separate. We want to upgrade to Hopper for one of the receivers but we will loose our ability to have two separate DVR's as Dish doesn't allow this.

I haven't seen a way to keep content separate in the Hopper, does that exist? What other options do I have to stay with Dish? Otherwise I'm heading back to DirecTV as they allow for the Gennie and another HD DVR.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,328 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

One can have two Hoppers ... although in a normal set up the Hoppers can see each other's content (through a menu option to view the other Hopper). Joeys are generally tied to one Hopper but can be paired to the other easily once one knows the menus.

#3 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

We currently have two DVR's in our house. We like to keep our recordings separate. We want to upgrade to Hopper for one of the receivers but we will loose our ability to have two separate DVR's as Dish doesn't allow this.

I haven't seen a way to keep content separate in the Hopper, does that exist? What other options do I have to stay with Dish? Otherwise I'm heading back to DirecTV as they allow for the Gennie and another HD DVR.

One can have two Hoppers ... although in a normal set up the Hoppers can see each other's content (through a menu option to view the other Hopper). Joeys are generally tied to one Hopper but can be paired to the other easily once one knows the menus.

Go with 2 Hoppers, that will give you the 2 DVR's you want. To keep the recordings private you will need to put an external hard drive on the Hoppers and transfer your recordings to it.

Each Hopper can see the recordings on the other Hopper via a menu in the recordings list, but you can not view recordings on an external hard drive connected to a Hopper on the other Hopper.
2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#4 OFFLINE   inet27

inet27

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

I appreciate the input. Called Dish and they will not send two hoppers only with no Joey's. They would rather loose a customer than accommodate the request. Looks like I'll be going back to DirecTV.

#5 ONLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

I appreciate the input. Called Dish and they will not send two hoppers only with no Joey's. They would rather loose a customer than accommodate the request. Looks like I'll be going back to DirecTV.

There are posts on this and other sites, Dish does not allow it, but that does not mean it can't be done. You order your system as 2H/2J and when installer shows let him know that the Joeys are not needed, or you can have the 2H/2J system set up and remove the Joeys from the system later.

#6 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

An isolator on the dual node will keep 2 Hoppers separate. Many here have gotten 2 Hopper no Joey setups through Dealers. Others have just refused the Joeys at installation.

(BTW, doesn't the Genie see the other HD DVR?)

#7 OFFLINE   inet27

inet27

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

For those of you with two hoppers. Is the main hopper DVR content on one page and there's another menu option to see content on the other hopper? We just want to be able to see that "local" hopper's content when looking at the DVR listings.

#8 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Using the isolator at install will keep the two Hoppas separated.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#9 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

For those of you with two hoppers. Is the main hopper DVR content on one page and there's another menu option to see content on the other hopper? We just want to be able to see that "local" hopper's content when looking at the DVR listings.

Yes. You have to choose to look at the other Hopper. The content and timers are not directly shared between the two.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#10 OFFLINE   inet27

inet27

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Great RasputinAXP. That's how I thought it worked but needed some reassurance as it's a "Big Deal" for my other half.

I got it all ordered so hopefully the install goes smoothly!

Thanks everyone for answering my questions!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...