Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What are some good Satellite Meters?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lazyman

lazyman

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

I was thinking of buying a Satellite Meter to see how to point my dish. Is this a good idea? If so which ones do you recommend?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,524 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

DISH receivers come with professional installation ... unless there is some reason why you cannot have it installed that is the best solution.

Should you want to do it yourself you will first need to either buy your equipment online (full price or eBay) including dish, hub or switch (as needed), receivers, cabling etc ... all covered with the installation or somehow convince DISH to ship or deliver the equipment. Getting the equipment from DISH and not getting it installed is NOT an easy task.

I have a couple of cheap meters but none have done better than the signal strength screen on the receiver. One can buy an expensive meter but most of those are only purchased by professional installers who need it for multiple installations.

#3 OFFLINE   RVRambler

RVRambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

I was thinking of buying a Satellite Meter to see how to point my dish. Is this a good idea? If so which ones do you recommend?

I have to aim my Dish 1000.2 every few weeks or so, and Dish can be very frustrating to aim especially when trees are around, DTV is very easy (MUCH smaller hole needed 99-101-103 vs 110-119-129, big hole!!)

I use the AcuTrac III+ (I paid $110) (I have seen it with a different names-see ebay) it has 2 modes, 1 specific for DTV (ku-ka band sats) & 1 for generic KU sats (for Dish & others), BUT you can see up to 4 KU sats at same time (only 3 are generally needed for Dish). It also can power the lnbs via batteries !! (meaning you can just take dish and find the sats w/o receiver being connected!! - but I use the receiver to verify correct sats & strengths!!)

It is NOT a 'smart' meter (very expensive!! - $300-$800), ie- no sat database, it does NOT identify the satellite you are seeing, but with a compass and familiarization it is a snap (if you have clear sky).

Generally I have satellites in 3-5 mins, done in less than 10, without this meter I have spent an hour (I know 1 guy who has ONLY found sats twice in 1.5yrs-gets others to do it or Dish $$), especially if new location latitude changed much.

PS: 722k receivers are 'brain dead' for pointing (newer maybe better), it will NOT indicate a sat even when pointed perfectly & very strong signal!! You must 'kick' it by changing sat or transponder - brainless POS - what else is it doing besides trying to find a sat ???? You are in pointing mode no less !!! - brainless POS!! & also is SLOW at giving strength reading!! But then the 722k has LOTS of silly brainless quirks doesn't it!!?? You can tell it was a poor hack job on some weak code base w/o a well designed user interface (poor UI design group me thinks)!!

Good Luck!!
Rambling 'Round n RV'

VIP-722k
1000.2, Dual DPP rooftop

#4 OFFLINE   chaney

chaney

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

It doesnt take rocket science to know how to point in a dish network, if your running hd (119, 110, 129) youll need a clearance from 190-230 azimuth, and elevation of 39. if you running just SD (119, 110) you'll need a clearance of 190-200 at a elevation of 42. its very simple once you know the azimuth and elevation. also as far as meters i own a super sat super buddy, I am a dish tech so i had to buy the expensive meter because it can check any type of dish whether it be Kban, DTV, dish, or any other company. it can be regularly updated via a usb cable for the latest sat info. it can check for LNBF drift which is a sign of it going bad, check all transponders signals, verify sat on which your peaked in on, and not to mention comes with all of dish/dtv LNBF models setting so its as easy as selecting the provider, dish model, lnbf model, and turning on the lnbf. that meter ran me $650 through my employer
If its a dish question just ask me I install so I can answer almost any question related to Dish.

#5 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

It doesnt take rocket science to know how to point in a dish network, if your running hd (119, 110, 129) youll need a clearance from 190-230 azimuth, and elevation of 39. if you running just SD (119, 110) you'll need a clearance of 190-200 at a elevation of 42........

Those numbers might work in Topeka KS, but not in NY, where the OP apparently resides.;)

#6 OFFLINE   RVRambler

RVRambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

Those numbers might work in Topeka KS, but not in NY, where the OP apparently resides.;)

Apparently it takes a rocket scientist to know that not all Dish users are located in his locale, SILLY! :)
Rambling 'Round n RV'

VIP-722k
1000.2, Dual DPP rooftop

spam firewall