Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hate this HR34.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

**1/22 Update of Issues**
So far here is what I am not liking about the HR34
1. The freezing of the recording playback with no cure
2. The pausing of a show and then when you come back to play it won't. Only fix is the change channel but that deletes the buffer of that show
3. Very slow and buggy software
4. While watching a show, the box just locks up
5. And my personal biggest irritant....the backup function during fast-forward is horrible. My HR24 has a beautiful alogrithm that regardless of level of search (1,2,3,4) when you hit play it would backup perfectly. The HR34 either backs up extremely far or fails to backup at all.

So tonight we are watching the Survivor finale. We like to DVR about everything so we can FFD through commercials. Well tonight, we are 1.5 hours into the 2 hour finale and right before the final tribal council to see who wins and the playback just freezes. The timer at the bottom shows it is still playing but the show is stuck on a single frame. So, I fast forward. Nothing. I stop and start over and FFD to that spot and it still freezes. There is also a reunion show right after so we decided to fire that up from our playlist. We'd possibly see who won not knowing if they read the votes yet but that won't play. Not only will it not play, but the image on the screen when we select play is the a paused image from whatever channel the box was on last. No happy at all.

The box is a HR34. I just red buttoned it to see if that would fix it. Nope. Same thing. Heading to bed and would really like to see the end of Survivor. Really unhappy with the box. It's been buggy and nowhere near as smooth as my HR24 since we got it. Is this something that anybody can comment on from experience or knowledge about it? I really like D* and have for quite some time but this is really bad when a box this new acts so erratic. Something happened obviously and fried everything from that point forward.

Not sure if I am just venting or looking for answers so thank you for any replies and understanding :)

Heading to bed..........

Edited by 996911, 23 January 2013 - 09:13 AM.

Cheers,
Ray Johnson

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

This happened many times for me also..... Today, it really went nuts... Pausing a program to answer a call, or answer the door to only come back to press play and it was stuck.... Couldn't rewind, nor forward.. The only thing that can be done is to change the channel then back again..Of course at that point I missed all the programing that was paused for..... It's happened many times before, yet today was a major pause day from many interruptions. From random lock ups, to the pause issue being the biggest of the issues and more.... Resetting makes no difference. [Mod edit].

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 04 January 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

I've seen alot of buggy behavior as well. I recently added a Dish network box so I could get Pac12 programming. I have to say, for trick play response, Dish really knows what they are doing. I hope that some day, the DirecTV engineers and programmers will find a way to make these boxes work properly. It's only been what...6 years?

One of the most amazing things to me is the lack of slo-mo. Sure, at some point I can hold down the "play" button to initiate slo-mo (when the box feels like accepting the command) but it is nowhere near as smooth or predictable as Dish.

I really wish that we could get DirecTV programming with Dish DVRs and music channels. That would be the best of both worlds. For now, I am paying for two services...some day, I'll have to give someone the boot...

#4 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

I'm about ready to shove this thing up Direct TV's ass.

If it wasn't for the NFLST and the overall programming, I'd have done that last night. We had Dish once upon a time and had no complaints with it except that they didn't have NFL.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#5 OFFLINE   caseyf5

caseyf5

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts
  • LocationBethpage, NY 11714

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Hello 996911 and Datagg,

My HR34 was installed in February 2012. I do not recall this particular problem occurring any time after the first 10 days of operation. Every piece of electronic equipment can have hardware an or software/firmware failures. A one time failure is almost impossible to troubleshoot and be certain of a repair. Whenever a problem is reproducible then the odds of repair go up. Your HR34 could have locked up at that time so the last half hour of Survivor was never recorded. I just checked and CBS On Demand has the Survivor Finale available now. It seems that the more important something is the greater the chance of failure. I have had around the same number of problems with the HR34 as the other DVR's and receivers HR24 and HR22, H24's, D12,s and even my original Hughes HIRD-B4 receiver in over 13 and 1/2 years of viewing pleasure. :)
My setup: 1 HR34/700 DVR no external HD, 1 HR24/500 DVR using WD 2TB Green HD and Antec MX-1 enclosure (used for CE) and 3 H24/700 receivers, 1 SL5 Dish (4 cable), 1 SWM16 Multiswitch, 1 Wired CCK. 1 Whole Home with DECA, 1 Sharp LC-37GP1U TV, 1 Sony Home Theater System HT-CT550W (Soundbar), 1 Impact 6x2 Component Video Matrix (Switcher) and 2 Sewell 1x2 HDMI Splitters with Ethernet, 3D Support and 4Kx2K Resolution with multiple hdmi cables with Ethernet.

#6 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Casey, thanks you for your reply! After thinking about this more I realized that, while I was pissed about the box lockup, it was just one show. It's not like it is a regular occurrence. The ability to record 5 shows, have my NFLST, and have what IMHO is the best programming (and interface), is why I stick with D*. To think that other solutions (i.e., Dish, TWC, FiOS) would be better is delusional :)
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#7 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I'm scheduled to get a HR-34 this week (and replace my HR-22). I hope I don't regret this.

#8 OFFLINE   minnow

minnow

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I had a new install scheduled on 12/27. Been following this thread and others like it regarding problems with the Genie. Called the 24th and to reschedule for two weeks out hoping a software fix was imminent. Based on what I'm reading here, no so. Called yesterday and told the dealer don't call me - I'll call you. I have TWC with the very crappy DVR's but from what I've learned here, the Genie isn't, at least at this point, that much better. I already have to reboot the TWC DVR's twice a week to get them to respond to remote control commands. Not willing to do have to reboot the Genie Clients either...
Will follow these threads closely to see when, if ever this is resolved.

#9 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

I'm scheduled to get a HR-34 this week (and replace my HR-22). I hope I don't regret this.

You won't, the HR34 is a very good DVR!

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#10 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

I'd agree with Scott. The HR34 is a fantastic DVR and no way would I keep TWC over this. It's not even close.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#11 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I agree its a good DVR. Its the main one in my home and gets used many hours every day and does most of the recordings.

Haven't had the problem the OP posted other than bad weather interfered with a recording.

#12 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Yup, thinking about it, we have recorded hundreds of hours of programming and have only had is the one issue I describe in post 1. Seems to be a good record so far.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#13 OFFLINE   Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

There were tons of reports of problems with the HR34 in the Spring so I waited until September to get one and have not had one issue in those 4 months. Not having to every worry about a recording conflict is awesome!

#14 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

My HR34 has worked great at times and then sometimes I get many of the same issues that other HR's have. I haven't had many issues with recordings, other then when I added time at the beginning and end of an NFL ST recording. Then the whole game was grey. I think if the recording is 5+ hours long, it causes issues.

Despite what I mentioned, I'm still glad I made the move to upgrade to it. You can't beat 5 simultaneous recordings, PIP, 2x's the storage and 2x's the series recordings.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#15 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

This happened many times for me also..... Today, it really went nuts... Pausing a program to answer a call, or answer the door to only come back to press play and it was stuck.... Couldn't rewind, nor forward.. The only thing that can be done is to change the channel then back again..Of course at that point I missed all the programing that was paused for..... It's happened many times before, yet today was a major pause day from many interruptions. From random lock ups, to the pause issue being the biggest of the issues and more.... Resetting makes no difference. [Mod edit].

Yep.... This all too common... cant even take a wizz to pause as it will not fire back up..... [Mod edit] The engineers who cant get it right after a year now. A call to them, they are aware of the issue and to expect many updates... I'm not a [Mod edit] beta tester. With that being said, I love the tuners and that's the only reason thus far there hasn't been a nuclear meltdown yet. For god sakes hire people who know what they are doing.. Damn!!!!

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 04 January 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

Yep.... This all too common... cant even take a wizz to pause as it will not fire back up..... [Mod edit] The engineers who cant get it right after a year now. A call to them, they are aware of the issue and to expect many updates... I'm not a [Mod edit] beta tester. With that being said, I love the tuners and that's the only reason thus far there hasn't been a nuclear meltdown yet. For god sakes hire people who know what they are doing.. Damn!!!!

You shouldn't be having that many problems with the HR34; especially the continuous random lockups. The pause issue is very rare for me (can’t remember the last time I saw that one) and I do not have lockups at all.

I would recommend starting a thread to see if there is some troubleshooting that can alleviate some of your issues.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#17 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

You shouldn't be having that many problems with the HR34; especially the continuous random lockups. The pause issue is very rare for me (can’t remember the last time I saw that one) and I do not have lockups at all.

I would recommend starting a thread to see if there is some troubleshooting that can alleviate some of your issues.

I see lockups frequently on my C31 (with HR34 behind obviously). One or more of pause/play, skip backward, exit/resume, on/off always clears it up.

Having that kind of thing happen in the same area of a program even after a reboot sounds like a sick HDD.

#18 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

I'd agree with Scott. The HR34 is a fantastic DVR and no way would I keep TWC over this. It's not even close.

Had TWC for 10+ years and the last year, I've had nothing but problems. Their DVR service never worked and missed recording all the time. I finally jumped ship in September and I haven't looked back. H34 is way better than TWC, but not flawless. HR34 doesn't compare with SA8300. It's so much better in every way. I don't have any conflict recordings because of the 5 tuners.

#19 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

I've had a 34 for almost a month now. I got it to replace a 21 that I just couldn't stand anymore. The difference is dramatic and worth the money I paid just to get the better performance not counting the extra tuners and other features.

This was highlighted again for me this week when my other 21 finally died. I have the protection plan so they sent out a refurb to replace it. Turned out to be an HR22. Just setting that thing up was so slow compared to performing the same functions on the 34 that my decision to get the 34 was reaffirmed.

Fortunately that 22 is in another room connected to a tv that we rarely watch. We mainly use it for the whole home service with the extra 2 tuners so that we can watch recordings from the 34.

#20 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

**1/22 Update of Issues**
So far here is what I am not liking about the HR34
1. The freezing of the recording playback with no cure
2. The pausing of a show and then when you come back to play it won't. Only fix is the change channel but that deletes the buffer of that show
3. Very slow and buggy software
4. While watching a show, the box just locks up
5. And my personal biggest irritant....the backup function during fast-forward is horrible. My HR24 has a beautiful alogrithm that regardless of level of search (1,2,3,4) when you hit play it would backup perfectly. The HR34 either backs up extremely far or fails to backup at all.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

spam firewall