Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hate this HR34.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

I'm scheduled to get a HR-34 this week (and replace my HR-22). I hope I don't regret this.

You might want to wait until the HR44 comes out in a few months. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

You shouldn't be having that many problems with the HR34; especially the continuous random lockups. The pause issue is very rare for me (can’t remember the last time I saw that one) and I do not have lockups at all.
Mike

It could be a Bad DVR or a Failing Hard Drive.
Here's My Setup

#23 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

**1/22 Update of Issues**
So far here is what I am not liking about the HR34
1. The freezing of the recording playback with no cure
2. The pausing of a show and then when you come back to play it won't. Only fix is the change channel but that deletes the buffer of that show
3. Very slow and buggy software
4. While watching a show, the box just locks up
5. And my personal biggest irritant....the backup function during fast-forward is horrible. My HR24 has a beautiful alogrithm that regardless of level of search (1,2,3,4) when you hit play it would backup perfectly. The HR34 either backs up extremely far or fails to backup at all.

I thought the update fixed it, then last night 1 & 2 returned. A call to DTV does nothing as they say updates are coming to fix these issues. So basically im supposed to "Deal" with this.... BS. Its a bad Hard Drive yet they will not acknowledge that. BBB will be called soon if they dont fix this issue.

#24 ONLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

You shouldn't be having that many problems with the HR34; especially the continuous random lockups. The pause issue is very rare for me (can’t remember the last time I saw that one) and I do not have lockups at all.

I would recommend starting a thread to see if there is some troubleshooting that can alleviate some of your issues.

Mike

Good thought.

With a HR24 or earlier, 98% of what happens happens inside the DVR. With server/client technology in the newer DVRs, some stuff happens in the server DVR, some happens in the client, and most of it happens somewhere between the two. I think it is easy to predict that when you move from an enclosed system to one dependent on two boxes communicating over a network that this opens up a lot of possibilities for problems to creep in. Dollars to donuts this is why some have lots of issues and others seem to have none.

It's immature technology and I won't sit through that; I'll stick with self-contained DVRs until all of these woes are rooted out and fixed.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#25 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Really am regretting moving to the HR34 and have learned my lesson. I will definitely move to an external HD next as I have so much saved on the HR34 that if I have to send it back I don't want to lose future recordings. Ugh.......
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#26 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,059 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

FYI, the external HDD will not work on another receiver so you will lose those recordings too.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#27 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Wait, so the external HD is box dependent? Then I must have misunderstood an earlier thread somebody said that getting an external HD was smart so you don't lose recordings if the box fails and you have to get a replacement. THat makes no sense unless the only intent was to increase recording capacity.

Thanks for the explanation!
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#28 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Sorry to hear that you are having bad luck with your HR34, but I'm glad to see that they are resolving the issue. So far, so good for my unit, but when TWC first introduced their HD DVR in my area, I went through so many and after a while, I saw no need to have DVR until the hardware was reliable. After an year, I got their DVR service again and had the same box for at least 4 years.

Maybe you just got a lemon with the HR34.

#29 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Maybe another software update will fix these issues? Who knows. Right now I am just living with this box since the 5-tuner recording is huge for us. Shame though.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#30 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Having 5 tuners is AWESOME. That is the main reason why I went with Directv, but I don't use Genie recommendation much at all. Do you?

#31 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Is that where "she" tells you "based on what you recorded, you might like 'this' show"???
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#32 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

It will record shows that you might like base what is on your DVR already. You can turn it off. I have mine on, but I never watch any shows that Genie recommends.

#33 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Yeah, I haven't turned it on either. I remember about 8-9 years ago when we had the D* Tivo box that we turned on that feature and were not impressed with the algorithm the box used. My wife recorded "Sex and the City" (the HBO show with Sarah Jessica Parker) and our box recoded about 15-20 softcore p0rn shows through the night. Of course this was before kids so no harm no foul. We got a nice laugh out of it :)
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#34 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

If Genie recorded softcore, I would use it <laugh>.

#35 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Wait, so the external HD is box dependent? Then I must have misunderstood an earlier thread somebody said that getting an external HD was smart so you don't lose recordings if the box fails and you have to get a replacement. THat makes no sense unless the only intent was to increase recording capacity.
Thanks for the explanation!

The RID # of the DVR is encoded into the Header of each Recording whether it is an Internal Hard Drive or an External Hard Drive so all Recordings are Married to the DVR that Recorded them by the DVR's RID #.

Several of us here at DBSTALK have asked Directv thru this Forum to change that process and Allow it to be Married to the Customer's Account # but that has fallen on Deaf Ears so far. :nono2:
Here's My Setup

#36 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

If you have an external drive, which drive will it will record on first? I have a WD 500gb My DVR that I used with TWC. Could I use it on the HR34 also?

#37 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

If you have an external drive, which drive will it will record on first? I have a WD 500gb My DVR that I used with TWC. Could I use it on the HR34 also?

If the DVR Detects an External Hard Drive thru the eSATA Port then it will Boot up using the External Drive and completely Ignore the Fact that there is an Internal Drive even though there could be Recordings on it before the External Drive was added to the system.

If you want to look at Recordings on the Internal Drive simply disconnect the eSATA Cable and Reboot using the Internal Drive.

You can use that Drive as an External Drive but the DVR will Reformat it so all the existing Recordings on it will be Erased.
Here's My Setup

#38 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,059 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

It will only record on the external, it will format the drive when you connect it to the HR34 so no you can't share with another providers DVR.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#39 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

So, when I add the external drive and reboot, I am assuming that I won't be loosing the shows that were already recorded on the internal?

#40 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

So, when I add the external drive and reboot, I am assuming that I won't be loosing the shows that were already recorded on the internal?

Exactly, that is what I stated. You can go back and forth between the Internal and External Drives by doing what I stated.
Here's My Setup

spam firewall