Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hate this HR34.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Wouldn't it be more reliable to record on an external drive instead the internal, just in case if the external crashes, you won't have to get another DVR and just get another drive?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Wouldn't it be more reliable to record on an external drive instead the internal, just in case if the external crashes, you won't have to get another DVR and just get another drive?

No, because if your Internal Drive crashes then you could just plug in an External Drive and continue on. :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#43 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

You have a point there also <hee,hee>.

#44 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

We are now seeing External Power Supply Units on the HR44 which was one of the 2 Big Problems a DVR could experience and the other being the death of the Hard Drive so if they could just make that Plug n Play as in a Modular Swappable Drive then if the Drive died you could just plug in another Drive and keep on going (yes, you would lose your Recordings but you wouldn't have to send back your DVR for a Replacement). :D
Here's My Setup

#45 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Wait, so the external HD is box dependent? Then I must have misunderstood an earlier thread somebody said that getting an external HD was smart so you don't lose recordings if the box fails and you have to get a replacement. THat makes no sense unless the only intent was to increase recording capacity.

Thanks for the explanation!

Sadly, that is the case, but more capacity is still a primary reason even if you could swap them.

My solution is clunky, which is to have 4 DVRs instead or 2, and to double-record everything.

But then my solution also works pretty well. :)
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#46 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

...If you want to look at Recordings on the Internal Drive simply disconnect the eSATA Cable and Reboot using the Internal Drive...

I would recommend against disconnecting the eSATA cable, which has connectors that are rated for only a few connections over their lifetime (IOW, no one expected us to be doing that).

It is easy to move from internal to x drive; just do a menu restart and have the drive up and running and connected. It will then mount the x drive.

To go the other way, do a menu restart and simply drop the power on the x drive at the point the reboot starts. It will then mount the internal drive. No fussing with cables at all needed.

Now if there were just some way to get it to mount both drives at once.:nono:
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#47 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Sadly, that is the case, but more capacity is still a primary reason even if you could swap them.

My solution is clunky, which is to have 4 DVRs instead or 2, and to double-record everything.

But then my solution also works pretty well. :)

I have 3 DVRs whose Sole Purpose in Life is to Backup my other 4 DVRs so if and when I lose a Hard Drive or a Power Supply I will still have my Recordings on another DVR!!! :D
Here's My Setup

#48 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

I would recommend against disconnecting the eSATA cable, which has connectors that are rated for only a few connections over their lifetime (IOW, no one expected us to be doing that).

It is easy to move from internal to x drive; just do a menu restart and have the drive up and running and connected. It will then mount the x drive.

To go the other way, do a menu restart and simply drop the power on the x drive at the point the reboot starts. It will then mount the internal drive. No fussing with cables at all needed.

Now if there were just some way to get it to mount both drives at once.:nono:

Excellent Post.

I was just pointing out that you could go back and forth but I definitely don't do that nor would I urge anyone to do it but it is possible. :)
Here's My Setup

#49 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

I have 3 DVRs whose Sole Purpose in Life is to Backup my other 4 DVRs so if and when I lose a Hard Drive or a Power Supply I will still have my Recordings on another DVR!!! :D

You guys watch a lot of tv :).

How often does your drives crashes to have backups?

#50 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

You guys watch a lot of tv :).

How often does your drives crashes to have backups?

Not necessarily; recent measurements say folks watch over 54 hours per week on average, up to 75 in African-American households. I find that shocking; I may have the tube on in the background a lot (mostly also on mute), but I only seriously watch about 15-20 hours a week.

Oddly, I watch less now that I have HD and a giant screen. I think that TV today is so much more immersive that a little goes a long way. I could watch a 32" SD set from way across the room all day long back in the day, but today a couple shows in glorious HD up close, and I'm out, and I credit the increased immersiveness of the experience as to why. Rather than the increased quality and screen size making me want more, ironically it makes me want (need) less. I also think that pre-VCR and pre-DVR some of us might have been conditioned to watch 3 hours of prime time all at once, because that was the only opportunity to see those shows. PT was 3.5 hours back in the 70's.

No, Toobs, the point of multiple DVRs and double-recording is not to watch a lot of TV; it is to ensure that you get to watch what you want to. I can lose an entire season of Fringe due to a bad HDD, but oh, look...there's a backup copy of every ep sitting right next to it on another DVR.

Edited by TomCat, 26 January 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

No, Toobs, the point of multiple DVRs and double-recording is not to watch a lot of TV; it is to ensure that you get to watch what you want to. I can lose an entire season of Fringe due to a bad HDD, but oh, look...there's a backup copy of every ep sitting right next to it on another DVR.

EXACTLY!!!

I can Scroll thru Pages of Recordings and Select Whatever I Am In The Mood For!!! :)

It does thought require constant Maintenance to Delete Recordings that you thought you might watch but now you have decided it is no longer important. :D
Here's My Setup

#52 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Do you guys have DVR guilt? If I don't watch a show, I pretty much forget about it and stop recording the series.

#53 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

No Guilt here but I just Record a lot of stuff and when I get the chance I watch the Recordings and then if it is not important enough to watch again I delete it.
Here's My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...