Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need help adding an additional receiver

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   htvistheone

htvistheone

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 10:19 PM

I have a dish 500 with 3 active receivers connected. I have three wires running from the dish into the house. There is a fourth wire coming into the house but that is for the cable modem. I want to add a 4th box.

Can I just add a multiswitch to one of the incoming wires up in my attic and thereby connect the two boxes to the multiswitch? Will I be able to watch different programs on each box at the same? Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   sbill67

sbill67

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 10:47 PM

I have a dish 500 with 3 active receivers connected. I have three wires running from the dish into the house. There is a fourth wire coming into the house but that is for the cable modem. I want to add a 4th box.

Can I just add a multiswitch to one of the incoming wires up in my attic and thereby connect the two boxes to the multiswitch? Will I be able to watch different programs on each box at the same? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you have Quad LNBF, if so, all that is needed is a DIRECT coax via single "ground block" ran from the LNBF to the NEW receiver location.One "Phillips" screwdriver is needed to remove the Quad. Hopefully your dish is not in a difficult place to access. After removing the Quad you should see an extra hook-up on the LNBF. Hope that helps.

#3 OFFLINE   htvistheone

htvistheone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 11:55 PM

Sounds like you have Quad LNBF, if so, all that is needed is a DIRECT coax via single "ground block" ran from the LNBF to the NEW receiver location.One "Phillips" screwdriver is needed to remove the Quad. Hopefully your dish is not in a difficult place to access. After removing the Quad you should see an extra hook-up on the LNBF. Hope that helps.

Thanks for taking care to anwser. Yes, I have a Quad LNBF. Unfortunately, your answer doesn't help. My problem is that I cannot easily run the 4th wire from the LNBF to the new location. I would have to climb an EXTREMELY steep roof pitch to run it to a roof vent. The three current wires enter the side of my house through brick so that it out. I was hoping to split off one of the other 3 cables already going into my attic.

The whole reason for doing this is that a friend was willing to give me an extra box that he had. I was hoping to install it myself. But, It sounds like I may have to pay Dish $150 to come out with a new box and install it.

#4 OFFLINE   heathkehoe

heathkehoe

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:14 AM

Thanks for taking care to anwser. Yes, I have a Quad LNBF. Unfortunately, your answer doesn't help. My problem is that I cannot easily run the 4th wire from the LNBF to the new location. I would have to climb an EXTREMELY steep roof pitch to run it to a roof vent. The three current wires enter the side of my house through brick so that it out. I was hoping to split off one of the other 3 cables already going into my attic.

The whole reason for doing this is that a friend was willing to give me an extra box that he had. I was hoping to install it myself. But, It sounds like I may have to pay Dish $150 to come out with a new box and install it.

Is your LNB a Dish Pro? If you're not sure, do a check switch on one of your receivers, it will say 'DP-Quad' or something like that. If you do have a Dish Pro LNB, you can get a DP34 switch, and connect TWO of your three cables from the LNB to the DP34 inputs, and then connect your receivers to the DP34 outputs. You'd leave the third cable from the dish unconnected. You can get DP34's via Ebay for as low as $40.

If your quad LNB is not a Dish Pro, I'm pretty sure there's no way to add a switch that works with the legacy quad. You'll have to go up to the dish, either to pull another cable, or replace the LNB with a Dish Pro twin and connect a DP34 as above. If you ever want to have more than four receivers, Dish Pro is the way to go, because you can chain additional DP34's to support more receivers.

(update) I should mention that only newer recievers support Dish Pro (301, 5xx, 721, etc). There's an adapter available to connect older receivers to DP, but it's kinda pricy and not really worth it, IMHO.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 11:15 AM

I was hoping to split off one of the other 3 cables already going into my attic.

It won't work.

The cables coming off of the QuadLNB can give EITHER 110 or 119, stacked polarity. The ONE receiver connected to that port chooses which satellite is put on the cable. You cannot connect two receivers to that feed. (Please don't try, unless you want the potential to see smoke.)

What you can do is to install a DP34 switch in your attic space, and feed TWO of your current feeds into port 1 and ports 2, and have up to four receivers off of that switch. If you decide to do this, make sure you unplug all receivers before cutting the coax. Again, the thing with the smoke.

Or you can go out on the roof and pipe in the 4th feed coming from your QuadLNB. Your choice!

JL

#6 OFFLINE   heathkehoe

heathkehoe

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 11:58 AM

The cables coming off of the QuadLNB can give EITHER 110 or 119, stacked polarity. The ONE receiver connected to that port chooses which satellite is put on the cable. You cannot connect two receivers to that feed. (Please don't try, unless you want the potential to see smoke.)

What you can do is to install a DP34 switch in your attic space, and feed TWO of your current feeds into port 1 and ports 2, and have up to four receivers off of that switch. If you decide to do this, make sure you unplug all receivers before cutting the coax. Again, the thing with the smoke.

This only applies if you have a Dish Pro Quad LNB. There's also a legacy Quad LNB, and if you have that you cannot use a DP34.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 01:45 PM

This only applies if you have a Dish Pro Quad LNB. There's also a legacy Quad LNB, and if you have that you cannot use a DP34.

In that case, if he has a Legacy Quad he is SOL and will be climbing on the roof. The SW64 would need all four inputs from the dish.

JL

#8 OFFLINE   htvistheone

htvistheone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for all the help! I'll give it a try!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...