Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CarolinaGuy79

CarolinaGuy79

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

I am going out of town in a few days to my moms for the holidays I will be gone for about a week, she doesnt have cable or a Sat just local channels, Can I take my Directv DVR without the sat cable being hooked up to it to watch recorded prgramming or would that not work?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,620 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

I am pretty sure that it has to be hooked to at least one coax to a dish.
You could get and 18" round dish and a short ready made coax and hook it up when you get there. This would only get SD channels but it would allow you to play your HD recordings, if that is what they are.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,709 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

What specific unit?

Try it at home first.... unplug it overnight.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

As far as I know, none of the non-TiVo DirecTV DVRs will play recorded programs without an active satellite signal.

Steve

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Try it at home first.... unplug it overnight.

Excellent idea.

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,655 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

As sbl mentioned, only Tivo-based DVRs will work without an active satellite connection. The DirecTV DVRs will shut down within a day or two without an active connection.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

I've read reports elsewhere in DBSTalk that refute that. I'd also surmise that the newer the DVR, the shorter the time it can go without a signal. So if you have an HR20-xxx, you may be in luck.

#8 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

^And the reports you read were wrong.

You will not be able to access the recordings as DirecTV has it set forth where to get the DVR features on their manufactured dvrs, you have to pay monthly for the DVR service fee. No sat. signal means no service. The box is useless.

Only TIVO HD DVR's can do that from my understanding.

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

A lot of folks opining based on their understanding.

The only way to be sure is to try it. I would not bother on anything after the HR23 though.

#10 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,655 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

I've read reports elsewhere in DBSTalk that refute that. I'd also surmise that the newer the DVR, the shorter the time it can go without a signal. So if you have an HR20-xxx, you may be in luck.

No. I've tried it. After a few days it will no longer function until it's reauthorized with an active satellite feed.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

No. I've tried it. After a few days it will no longer function until it's reauthorized with an active satellite feed.

Yes, as to "I have read reports".... your experience is different.

How many days? I believe the OP was needing only a few days.

One's MMV.

#12 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,655 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Yes, as to "I have read reports".... your experience is different.

How many days? I believe the OP was needing only a few days.

One's MMV.

I don't remember how many days. Maybe three or four. But I've heard from others that it can vary considerably. Some folks have claimed as much as a week, yet others get cut after just a few hours. Probably has something to do with how often the DVR checks for a "live" satellite feed.

#13 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Two weeks ago I had my roof replaced and removed my dish. On my HR34 and HR24 I could watch recorded and OTA programming (via AR21) for only about 12 hours. Then everything went into a searching for sat signal and rebooting loop.

#14 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

I've also heard that if you are going to Deactivate your DVR you can unplug the Coax before doing the Deactivation and your DVR will Not receive a signal from Directv's Satellite that will keep you viewing your Recordings.

From time to time you will get a Warning Message but you can Exit out of that until the time that Directv finally figures out that you have a Deactivated DVR and then they will render it incapable of having it's recordings viewable.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Two weeks ago I had my roof replaced and removed my dish. On my HR34 and HR24 I could watch recorded and OTA programming (via AR21) for only about 12 hours. Then everything went into a searching for sat signal and rebooting loop.

Makes total sense. It'd be only the earlier models that may give you a fighting chance to stretch out the time.

#16 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Makes total sense. It'd be only the earlier models that may give you a fighting chance to stretch out the time.

They probably Now send out a Signal and if the DVR does not respond within so many hours they shut it down via whatever connection they have to the DVR.

Maybe there is Software written that states if a DVR has not been verified via Satellite Signal within the last XXX Hours to then shut it down and not allow viewing of those Recordings until it receives a Valid Verification Signal from the DVR to Directv.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

If you have a iPad you can get a Nomad from Directv. It will load programs onto your iPad.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#18 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

My 2 HR20's haven't had a sat signal in months...& I'm still watching DVR'd shows just fine on them. (actually, now that they haven't had a "bloatware signal" to slow them down, they have never run this fast! :D :D )

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

They probably Now send out a Signal and if the DVR does not respond within so many hours they shut it down via whatever connection they have to the DVR.

Maybe there is Software written that states if a DVR has not been verified via Satellite Signal within the last XXX Hours to then shut it down and not allow viewing of those Recordings until it receives a Valid Verification Signal from the DVR to Directv.

I'll go with choice 2, as in most cases, they have no way of sending out a signal that can be received if you disconnect before de-authorizing a box. I'm sure it has to be the programming in the box that shuts it down after so many hours of no signal. Especially with newer DVRs.

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

My 2 HR20's haven't had a sat signal in months...& I'm still watching DVR'd shows just fine on them.

Thank you. Now I wonder if some will pipe in to tell you that you didn't in fact do that.....:D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...