Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,713 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

If you have a iPad you can get a Nomad from Directv. It will load programs onto your iPad.

Good point. But note they're only viewable on the iPhone/iPad for 30 days. After that, they expire.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

You could use DTV Everywhere. Oh wait, Everywhere only works in your house unless you have additional pay channels like HBO.

#23 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

You could use DTV Everywhere. Oh wait, Everywhere only works in your house unless you have additional pay channels like HBO.

Man are you a little wrong http://www.dbstalk.c...819#post3147819
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#24 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

A whopping 5 channels are available outside according to the thread you linked to, some of which I've never heard of.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#25 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

A whopping 5 channels are available outside according to the thread you linked to, some of which I've never heard of.

Seriously...have you even used the product?

#26 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

Seriously...have you even used the product?

Yes, I've used the product. When it first came out, heard the big splash about Directv EVERYWHERE. Read the first look marketing piece on this site. Was pretty excited because the first look, just like the name of the feature, seemed to indicate I could watch Directv EVERYWHERE. I am a heavy traveler and this would definitely be a great feature.

I was at a hotel, tried it out, my expectations (based on the marketing) were sorely not met, I mean not even close. There was next to nothing to watch outside the home.

But, back to the point of the discussion, are you saying there are now more than 5 channels that can be watched outside the home - ie everywhere?
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#27 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

Yes, I've used the product. When it first came out, heard the big splash about Directv EVERYWHERE. Read the first look marketing piece on this site. Was pretty excited because the first look, just like the name of the feature, seemed to indicate I could watch Directv EVERYWHERE. I am a heavy traveler and this would definitely be a great feature.

I was at a hotel, tried it out, my expectations (based on the marketing) were sorely not met, I mean not even close. There was next to nothing to watch outside the home.

But, back to the point of the discussion, are you saying there are now more than 5 channels that can be watched outside the home - ie everywhere?

Yes, there is a lot more now than just the premium channels. The Viacom channels are there as well as a few others.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#28 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Yes, there is a lot more now than just the premium channels. The Viacom channels are there as well as a few others.

No, for live TV on the App, outside the home, there are 5 channels. Audience, AXS.tv, Sony, Shorts and beINHD.

I'm at work and looking at it right now.

#29 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

No, for live TV on the App, outside the home, there are 5 channels. Audience, AXS.tv, Sony, Shorts and beINHD.

I'm at work and looking at it right now.

Yes the live TV channels outside the home are still limited to 5. But there has been a huge increase in the amount of on demand content available, not just from the premiums like Cinemax, HBO, Showtime, but from regular channels like A&E, Comedy Central, DIY, History, MTV, Nickelodeon, Spike, etc.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#30 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

Thats only true for mobile devices

#31 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

Thats only true for mobile devices

So then, if not mobile devices how is it "everywhere"?

#32 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

I just don't see it when I use my app outside the house. I see audience and some channel I never heard of. You'd think CNN would work, but I have to use their app with my DTV user ID.

#33 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

Yes the live TV channels outside the home are still limited to 5. But there has been a huge increase in the amount of on demand content available, not just from the premiums like Cinemax, HBO, Showtime, but from regular channels like A&E, Comedy Central, DIY, History, MTV, Nickelodeon, Spike, etc.

I realize that, I don't care about streaming inside theme, I have TVs for that. I said, and underlined, outside. For me, streaming live TV outside the home is what is useful, ie a slingbox.

Edited by raott, 22 December 2012 - 05:34 AM.

#34 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,475 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

As sbl mentioned, only Tivo-based DVRs will work without an active satellite connection. The DirecTV DVRs will shut down within a day or two without an active connection.

I take an HR with me whenever we go on vacation. No active connection and never have had a problem playing recorded content.

Rich

#35 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,475 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

I've read reports elsewhere in DBSTalk that refute that. I'd also surmise that the newer the DVR, the shorter the time it can go without a signal. So if you have an HR20-xxx, you may be in luck.

Took a 24-500 with me this year and it worked fine for the whole week. Just had the power cord and an HDMI cord. And a TV.

Rich

#36 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,475 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

^And the reports you read were wrong.

You will not be able to access the recordings as DirecTV has it set forth where to get the DVR features on their manufactured dvrs, you have to pay monthly for the DVR service fee. No sat. signal means no service. The box is useless.

Only TIVO HD DVR's can do that from my understanding.

Your understanding is wrong.

Rich

#37 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,475 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

Yes, as to "I have read reports".... your experience is different.

How many days? I believe the OP was needing only a few days.

One's MMV.

I get 7 days with no problem. 24-500.

Rich

#38 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,475 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

I don't remember how many days. Maybe three or four. But I've heard from others that it can vary considerably. Some folks have claimed as much as a week, yet others get cut after just a few hours. Probably has something to do with how often the DVR checks for a "live" satellite feed.

They do check for a feed and you do get 771s, but the recorded content plays just as it does at home. I've never tried it for more than 7 days.

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Actually, that person was right. DirecTV everywhere works off of Wireless internet with smartphones and the IPad. It finds the wirless network in your house and uses the hd dvr connected to the cck wireless or coax (but a wireless router has to be in the house connected to the network for coax). If you are away from home it is not going to find the hd dvr with the cck making directv "Everywhere" is useless. It is only everywhere in your house. DirecTV did that as they have the DirecTV nomads which REALLY allows you to use it everywhere.

#40 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

nope there are channels you can access with a laptop or tablet or phone now that i think about....just not using the app...you have to log into the website

Protected By... spam firewall...And...