Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My Dish Billing Rant

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

I had UPS change my address once too. Again, I had moved to a new place... and ordered something to be shipped there. Somehow, in mid-transit, UPS decided that address was wrong and they changed it to where I used to live... and of course since I didn't live there anymore they couldn't deliver it. Oh, and they didn't bother to call the correct phone number they had for me on the delivery info... so if I hadn't been tracking it myself online I wouldn't have found out any of this until it was on its way back to the shipper!

Bottom line... great to hear Dish is helping the thread starter out here... sad that we still have these kinds of situations in modern times.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

I don't understand why E* pushes it as "CREDIT CARD" autopay. We have been on checking account autopay for about 10 years now. No need to worry about expiration dates. JMHO.

Just wait until they "accidentally" move the decimal point on your next payment. :D
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#23 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

I want to thank everyone for the comments - even those who didn't agree with my perspective. I called the Dish "ERT" department again today, because it appeared that the one thing they agreed to take of yesterday hadn't been done. I went through the whole issue again, because I was speaking to a different person. Surprisingly, they are going to resolve everything to my satisfaction. I even got the things I wanted most - an apology and an assurance that they will look into why their system is changing people's credit card expiration dates. Prior to that, not once had anyone apologized for the initial error or the subsequent one, and not once had anyone shown any concern over the expiration date problem. Anyway, I want to give credit where credit is due and aknowledge that Dish did come through in the end.

Summary of this post:
Hes pissed off at the agents who told him the truth and admitted that it just happens.

Happy with the agent who took the time to lie to him and give a false assurance that there would be an inquiry as to why the system randomly does that.

lol.
At the end of the day it just happens and Dish (and hundreds of other companies) are full aware of it and will never do anything about it.

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,509 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

Summary of this post:
Hes pissed off at the agents who told him the truth and admitted that it just happens.

Since they apparently didn't DO what they said they would there is a reason to be ticked.

Happy with the agent who took the time to lie to him and give a false assurance that there would be an inquiry as to why the system randomly does that.

Hopefully the assurance is not false. DISH does fix things occasionally. :rolleyes:

If it happens again to someone else after a couple of months it will be a black eye.

At the end of the day it just happens and Dish (and hundreds of other companies) are full aware of it and will never do anything about it.

Try not to lose all hope. :lol:

#25 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Since they apparently didn't DO what they said they would there is a reason to be ticked.

Unlike everyone else here my posts arent based on assumptions of work ethic for the agents.
I worked there, I know this phone call very well lol and I know for a fact that sometimes you can reset the CC information just like the customer asks, and then 10 minutes later Dish promo (the program that does all the work) switches the information right back to the incorrect information.

If the agent said they changed the information in all likelyhood they probably did. There not going to risk there job sitting there doing nothing about it.

Its just annoying to see the one agent who sat there and flat out lied to the customer is the one getting the credit for the good deed lol.
*Stuff* Happens, sometimes the changes dont take that doesnt mean the agents who tried and failed are suddenly the worst people you could encounter when calling in.

Hopefully the assurance is not false.

No the assurance IS false. 100%, there is nothing that agent could hope to do get Dish to look into it.
The only thing that agent could do is access the internal Dish forum for employees and make a complaint about it, and believe me there have been more then a handful of threads on that forum over the years detailing this very issue.
Dish (and other companies who also have this issue) will never look into it or fix it. Its far more cost effective to have agents deal with it and get yelled at, then to pay people to looking through thousands of line of code for this issue.
Aside from that forum thats it, theres no form or process for getting bugs in the system known.

#26 OFFLINE   esl1885

esl1885

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

I just entered my 3rd CC number in 2 months with Dish Autopay. The first # they claimed to have failed is also used for two other places on autopay with no problems, and had worked with Dish for 8 months. The 2nd number worked manually but failed when they tried autopay with it. Now I have enterd my 3rd number. I might add that we never carry a balance on any of our cards, and they all work at other places without fail.

Bottom line is this. When my current contract expires, they will start sending me a paper bill. and I will send them a paper check or I will be an ex-customer.

I could write a book on all the things Dish has screwed up since I became a customer a year ago. It took over 3 months to get all the things they promised in their ads and probably over 50 phone calls.

Over the years I have had Dish, Directv, and cable. I can honestly say that I have had less problems with cable by far. Actually, the best TV I ever had was C-band satellite when I could just call and pay for only the programming I wanted. I believe they call that the good old days.

Sam

#27 OFFLINE   ls1dreams

ls1dreams

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

Billing problems like this get me so stressed out I lose my mind.

#28 OFFLINE   bobsupra

bobsupra

Work In Progress

• Gold Members
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

My experience today updating the CC expire date with Dish was the same. Instant on-line charge instead of the 6th of the month. Talked to Agent and Supv who said that's the way the "system" is set-up. So, this month will see a double billing for Dish who gets the advantage of the cash flow.

Of interest, tho, I also updated by Direct account today (for my rental). They did not "advance" the payment. Same with AT&T, Netflix, AOL, two newspapers, local internet firm, garbage company, and a few others. Only Dish played this game. Draw your own conclusions. I did.
To shut down XP, hit start button. :D

#29 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

I have CC autopay on several bills (but not E*) and had my card expire 18 mos ago, and got a new card (same # btw, just new expiration date) and did not re-enter card info for anybody, and nobody had a problem.

It is hard for me to imagine E* shooting themselves in the foot for money coming INTO their system. Now money outbound, sure, I could see any number of not worth fixing computer glitches that might prevent a check being sent to a creditor.

But money coming IN ???? REALLY???? Charlie hears about this his head will explode.

:eek2:

#30 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

My turn.

Called dish today as my CC will expire end of month. Just wanted to give them new expiration date and 3 digit code.

Was told by CSR [ he was pleasant by the way] that if I do it today, I will be charged today.

Why, I asked. I only want to update the info to ensure a smooth transaction on my normal billing date.[ two weeks away, I thought I was being responsible] Since you have my account up in front of you, change the info, please.

Nope. Also I was advised to call 7 days prior to normal billing date, day before would not cut it. I explained some of the horror stories here and didn't want to go through a delay, or double billing, or late fee etc....

The reason I use a CC is free HD for life with autopay, plus, if I have an issue with dish like I did with direct [ when I left direct to go to dish, they took almost 6 weeks to refund my balance] I can put a questionable charge in dispute. Can not do that with a checking account.

Funny, Amazon and Verizon had no problem with entering correct info on my CC when I called them. Two phone calls and ten minutes with no hassle. They also both thanked me for being on top of it.

Now while this isn't as bad as original post [ yeah, I'd be screaming]

Dish needs to be as user friendly as the Big Boys, ie. Amazon/Verizon.

C'mon Ergen, before your head explodes [ kinda liked that one] :lol:

Oh, and I don't find double billing an acceptable charge.

Edited by satcrazy, 25 February 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

My turn.

Called dish today as my CC will expire end of month. Just wanted to give them new expiration date and 3 digit code.

Can it be changed online?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#32 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Yes, I was told it could, but seems online isn't a sure thing.

#33 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

And as soon as you change it online it will charge your bill total to the card, so be prepaired.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#34 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Wait a minute, You mean to tell me that if your card expired and they send you a new one and you want to update it online or on the phone, That they will double bill you for doing that and charge you for doing something responsible before the due date? That's not a good way of making business that's DOWNRIGHT ILLEGAL.

Edited by acostapimps, 26 February 2013 - 12:05 AM.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#35 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

Somebody better get a roll of duck tape and wrap up Charlie's head before the BIG BANG !

#36 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Wait a minute, You mean to tell me that if your card expired and they send you a new one and you want to update it online or on the phone, That they will double bill you for doing that and charge you for doing something responsible before the due date? That's not a good way of making business that's DOWNRIGHT ILLEGAL.

No, you are not double billed. You just have to pay the amount due. When your bill date arrives the balance will be zero so you are not charged anything then.

Sent from my iPad 4
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#37 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Can you imagine what's going to happen to whomever it is at Dish that screwed this up ?!?!?!?!

Money coming INTO Dish, and somebody dropped the ball!!!

Ergen is going to send them into space with the launch of their next satellite. That'll be one body they will never find.

{Shudder} I'd hate to be in their shoes, it ain't gonna be pretty!!!

The HORROR! The HORROR!

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

#38 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Just wait until your next bill is due then update your credit card now that you know.

#39 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,509 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

It is hard for me to imagine E* shooting themselves in the foot for money coming INTO their system.

You're not understanding the glitch ... it gives Charlie his money earlier. Out of the customer's pocket and into the company's faster. :lol:

I hope they get it fixed ... the unexpected early payment can throw off a budget. But the solution for consumers is clear ... only update your credit card info just before a payment is due - when one can afford to make an early payment.

#40 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

No, you are not double billed. You just have to pay the amount due. When your bill date arrives the balance will be zero so you are not charged anything then.

Sent from my iPad 4

Ahh okay that makes more sense somewhat, Why not pay on the due date instead of when you CC update info? Maybe that's how their system works, That also defeats the purpose for autopay if you should be covered for bill pay automatically prior to the next billing cycle.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

spam firewall