Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CBS On Demand (Channel #1002)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,970 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

No HD, and I hope they add more programming to it, but a pleasant development nonetheless...

Hopefully CW On Demand will be coming soon as well...

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

I dont believe any of the network programming is HD for on-demand yet is it?

#3 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

No...

NBC had some Olympics stuff in HD, but that was it.

ABC On Demand has recently/had recently an episode of "The Neighbors" with an HD tag, but it was actually SD.

#4 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

No HD, and I hope they add more programming to it, but a pleasant development nonetheless...

Agreed. I think that is a good opinion, I understand the VOD content is controlled by the networks so looking at CBS On Demand selection on Time Warner Cable and then looking at DirecTV's there no where close to the same selection. It appears they still have quite a large amount to add to match what typical CBS On Demand offers across many MSO providers. I have looked at CBS On Demand through Comcast and there's matches TWC as well (for viewing on TV, online viewing through Cbs.com does include additional content).

Here is a link to TWC CBS ON Demand content to get an idea of what is generally offered across MSO providers: http://www.twcondema...e-on-demand/cbs

#5 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Where was this when Sandy took my power away for 8 days and I was scrambling to find the content I missed?

Great add though. I think back when I first got DirecTV and how much it's improved. It's pretty awesome when you think about it.

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Maybe not on DirecTV, but I stayed with my sister when we lost power during hurricane Sandy. She's got FiOS, and I'm pretty sure we watched a couple of network shows on demand in HD when I was there.

I wonder if it's a network bandwidth issue, since FiOS has bandwidth to burn?
/steve

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,706 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Maybe not on DirecTV, but I stayed with my sister when we lost power during hurricane Sandy. She's got FiOS, and I'm pretty sure we watched a couple of network shows on demand in HD when I was there.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to what is available where. I do get some HD from fios for OTA networks but they do not have HD for TVLand on Demand while DirecTV does.

While most channels that both have align pretty well with content, it sometimes varies wildly. Fios tends to have more TCM content while DirecTV has a lot more HBO.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to what is available where. I do get some HD from fios for OTA networks but they do not have HD for TVLand on Demand while DirecTV does.

While most channels that both have align pretty well with content, it sometimes varies wildly. Fios tends to have more TCM content while DirecTV has a lot more HBO.

I'm so glad you posted, Tony. I had no idea I could get TVLand in HD via On Demand. We enjoy both Hot In Cleveland and The Exes, and have been watching them in crappy HD... up until now. Thanks for the tip!

You're right. There is no rhyme or reason! :nono:
/steve

#9 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

I don't know if it comes down to contracts or infrastructure... :confused:

Early this season, FOX was pimping FOX On Demand frequently throughout their primetime programming... yet it's nowhere to be found on DirecTV... even in SD.

The CW launched a deal with Comcast for The CW On Demand that included HD content. My hope is that the launch of it (even in SD) might come to DirecTV soon... particularly now that CBS On Demand has launched... :)

#10 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

A lot of the networks don't resend all of their VOD content to cable and satellite providers at once. Many of them only send the latest batch of content to their servers on a weekly basis, which would explain why only last week's episodes are available, while everyone else has about a month's worth of episodes.

#11 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,706 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

A lot of the networks don't resend all of their VOD content to cable and satellite providers at once. Many of them only send the latest batch of content to their servers on a weekly basis, which would explain why only last week's episodes are available, while everyone else has about a month's worth of episodes.

So the data storage is at the providers end? Is that true for thing like hbo which directv now has all of the hbo2go stuff? Seems a referential pointer after validation would make more sense in those cases.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#12 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

So the data storage is at the providers end? Is that true for thing like hbo which directv now has all of the hbo2go stuff? Seems a referential pointer after validation would make more sense in those cases.

Yes, basically they push the new VOD content in advanced to a server at the provider's end every week either via IP or a satellite based data stream, along with a schedule of when to make the content available to subscribers. What we download on our receivers comes from the provider's servers.

#13 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,706 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Yes, basically they push the new VOD content in advanced to a server at the provider's end every week either via IP or a satellite based data stream, along with a schedule of when to make the content available to subscribers. What we download on our receivers comes from the provider's servers.

thanks.

that confirmation explains a lot.

#14 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

Fantastic. Sometimes it's nice to have a "backup" if a program wasn't scheduled or failed due to weather, etc.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#15 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

I thought for sure I will use it. After finding it to be in SD only, FORGET IT! I will never use it until it's in HD. I'd rather record off live feed or go to CBS.com and watch it.

#16 OFFLINE   rta53

rta53

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

Is this still available? I tried to find it last night but couldn't remember the channel. Tried searching but found nothing.

#17 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

Is this still available? I tried to find it last night but couldn't remember the channel. Tried searching but found nothing.

its still in my guide

#18 OFFLINE   rta53

rta53

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Ok thanks. Will check it out tonight.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...